• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8GR Announced

KC2PLJ

Nov 17, 2009
New York
3008.jpg

Well it comes at no surprise as Yaesu has been releasing new equipment left and right. Is that a built in GPS on the top that I see?

More to come as this new HT becomes available for sale.

Mike KC2PLJ

I had an order in for the VX 8DR but cancelled it. Universal's slow service ended up being a good thing. Seems like the wrong time to buy, with this new model coming out. It appears stripped down, but for me this may not be a bad thing, as long as the price is also much lower. I do know when I saw that picture with built in GPS I was happy. I have never liked the idea of screwing a GPS unit to the top of that handheld, it just seemed clunky in my opinion. GPS built in makes much more sense. I too am interested in which model's APRS features the "G" model posses. I would hope they were smart a made it the "D" model's.
I'm not sure why Yeasu didn't just put the GPS unit in the FTM 350R, since it's a relatively new release, and how does VX 8R fit in now? Taking away the water proofing seems like an odd feature to take away, since it's in so many models all ready. I need a new HT but i guess it will have to wait until this all gets sorted out. I think they all appear to be great radios it all just comes down to cost vs. features.

Hopefully the "G" model will be available soon!

John

It seems like it's always the wrong time to buy a Yaesu. If you wait a few months you're guaranteed a newer model will come out. It will either have some new feature included for free or Yaesu will be kind enough to fix the bugs in the newer model. If you're disappointed you bought a VX-8R, don't be. Think about all the poor folks who bought the FT-857 or FT-897 and got free defective 6 meter transmitters that make perfect broadband oscillators. When I key mine on 6 meters I get 100 watts but I never know what frequency the RF splatter is going to come out on! Of course they fixed this on the "D" models and will be glad to fix their mistakes on the non "D" models.........for a couple hundred dollars. It seems like they never get it right the first time and never wait until they get it right before going to market. "New" seems to be more important then "right" at Yaesu.

So basically it's the same as the VX-8(d)r, except:

• No 6m TX/RX
  • No 220 TX/RX
  • No HF RX
  • No Bluetooth
  • NO SU-1 (Barometer sensor)
  • NO WFM or AM RX
  • Not water immersion for 30 min @ 1m rated
It's strictly a 2m/440 rig with GPS. I hope the price is quite a bit less without all of those features.

Well I don't feel like such a sucker now. I bought my VX-8R because I wanted all of the features of the VX7R but Radio city had a special on VX-8R factory refurbs for $20 less than a new VX-7. The APRS junk was a cool bonus.

I have never liked the idea of screwing a GPS unit to the top of that handheld, it just seemed clunky in my opinion.

I thought it would be weird, too, but honestly it turns out it works just fine. It's SOLID on there and hasn't once posed a problem. It is a little annoying to take off to program, but even that isn't *bad*. I'd bet it picks up satellites better than the way it's further embedded in the 8G, personally.

No way I trade my DR for the G. No way. But I might add a G to the fleet.

--Donnie

The G model was a shocker and made me second guess my decision for a moment, but when I came to my senses I decided to get the DR....I also decided to get the FTM350R which has already arrived! I am happy with it so far, and feel with just a little tinkering that it is pretty easy to navigate...I have programed in all our local 2/220/440 repeaters...I am going back through and programing in all the Alphanumerics for the repeaters now.

This is a big upgrade for me....i have been making due with a HTX-202 that I bought used in 1998 at a Houston Ham fest, and my other is a Yaesu FT-2200 that I bought in October of 1993 new from a small HAM shop in North Carolina....that day before my license came in the mail....I wanted a couple of radios that would give some more excitement to the hobby...I have had a HF rig that my dad gave me Yaesu FGX747 it is one of their old mobile rigs but can be used well as a base totally basic though. Studying for the General Test and hopefully will be taking and passing next month...I am currently scoring just under the cut off around a 72% on the low and up around 87% when i am doing good.

Thanks for the input and reality check!! I love the forum and the information, and all of you seem to nice and have a wealth of knowledge...That I think I may have to tap into from time to time.

John Zenick 73
KE4HGR

Last edited:
The FCC publicly approved the VX-8Gr on 4/02/10 and most retailers are now taking pre-orders. The price on the radio is $440.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.