• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R..can't hit any repeaters at all...

N0VYO

May 22, 2009
Hi...so I am new to the VX-8 but I am trying to hit a few of the local repeaters near me. I have sucessfully hit all these with my VX-3 (less wattage) so I am failing to understand why I can't reach out on the VX-8.
I have played around with antenna's as well. Currently using a Diamond SRH-999. Let's choose one repeater in the ARRL guide..This is the reapeater I am trying to reach most often.
Seattle PSGR 146.9600 (Open System) 103.5
I have ensured my radio is set as below...
* Repeater shift set at -RPT (Menu #75)
* Repeater Shift Freq set at 0.600MHz (Menu #76)
* RPT ARS set to "On" (Menu #74)
* SQL Type is set to "Tone" (Menu #95)
* Tone Freq is set to 103.5Hz
So When I push the PTT the TX light comes on showing I am transmitting on full power, but I can never seem to hit the repeaters..even the close by one's. So I am thinking the radio is somehow not activating the repeater through the tone or tone freq. You fella's have any ideas?
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am also running the GPS unit attached directly to the radio. I have been able to so simplex, so I know that at least works...Any help is appreciated...

Hi..yes it is set for -RPT which is what is listed in the 2009-2010 ARRL Repeater Directory. I used the same settings on my VX-3 and was able to connect...

Do you have a small watt meter that you can put inline? Perhaps there's something wrong with your device and it's not putting out full power?

Do you have a small watt meter that you can put inline? Perhaps there's something wrong with your device and it's not putting out full power?

I do not have a watt meter...but I can run simplex for a reasonable distance, so I think it is a settting I have wrong...

First, I don't have such a radio so I'm talking through my hat, keep that in mind!

The two menu items #74 and #95, are they as they should be? I don't recognize the 'names'/abbreviation and am not familiar with Yaesu's programming schemes, if that's a good excuse (if not I can make wise-axe remarks about Yaesu's and so on, which just means I don't understand it).
- 'Doc

The menu #95 SQL Type has these different tone encoder/decoder modes...
* Off
* Tone
* Tone SQL
* DCS
* REV TONE
* PR FREQ
* Pager
The menu on #74 is simply on/off. which turns on your Automatic Repeater Shift Function

Try using just the plain "Tone" instead of "Tone SQL". 'Tone SQL' means something different to me, no idea if it applies here or not, but kind of doubt it. And remember what I said to start with, I don't know how your radio works, so don't put a lot of faith in what I tell you.
- 'Doc

It correct EXCEPT you need to make it TONE SQL. Others look OK.

On you display does the right freq mHz show? On the far right under TSQ does the black "-" sign show? Is your power setting (lower left hand side" say HI?

Then click on the HM/RV button, does it show the right TX frequency? Should be -.6mhz

else its broken, dude.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.