• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

rx between 230-380 mhz am. So back it went. Am considering the VX8 can this rx those frequencies.

Yes, the VX-8 can RX AM there. I don't have anything to listen on AM in that range, so I can't tell you how well it works, but at least you can dial it up.

How are the VX-8R's working out so far? I hear some horror stories about bad TX audio and a few returns for low or distorted audio.

Real interested in the APRS now. This sounds great.

Also, has anyone used the CW training feature? Does it work well?

How are the VX-8R's working out so far? I hear some horror stories about bad TX audio and a few returns for low or distorted audio.

Real interested in the APRS now. This sounds great.

Also, has anyone used the CW training feature? Does it work well?

I've heard of a few that had to go back because of poor audio. I've not heard anything that is "out of the ordinary" for a new radio, though. New radios always have a few kinks to work out. I have never received a poor or distorted audio report on mine; actually I usually get the opposite.

I still like my VX-8. Every radio has a few quirks and no radio is perfect. But I still really like this one for what it is.

I tried the CW feature for the first time today because of your question. It actually works pretty good! I couldn't figure out how to make it work without the manual, though. I've been working on increasing my code speed at home, but I couldn't get my NuMorse Pro copy to install on my work Windows 7 machine. So now I can put on some headphones and practice during lunch at work with my VX-8 :) :)

i am returning mine. It has low rx audio.The TX is ok but the wideband rx is a bit of a joke. The VX3 or 6 has much better specs. I used to listen to the milair frequencies between 230- 350 mhz am on the VX3/6 and the the pr-progged sw broadcasts on the vx3 not on the vx 8 needs to go back for a redesign.

dunk test

Well, I could no longer resist and gave my vx-8r the dunk test last night. It passed with flying colors. After drying off the radio and blowing out the water from the speaker and mic, it worked and sounded just fine. The only thing I noticed was that a little water does get under the battery, so I dried that out as well.

Well, I could no longer resist and gave my vx-8r the dunk test last night. It passed with flying colors. After drying off the radio and blowing out the water from the speaker and mic, it worked and sounded just fine. The only thing I noticed was that a little water does get under the battery, so I dried that out as well.

I don't know how you waited so long. I did that my first day. I figured if it was going to die, I wanted it to die under warranty. :whistle:

While I am thinking about it, I removed the sticky cover to add my blue tooth. I didn't put it back. (No good reason, just didn't do it at the time and forgot about it.) Is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T put on a new sticky cover?

Is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T put on a new sticky cover?

If you're going to mod it while it's off. You really should put it back on if you're planning on getting the unit wet again.

I would put that cover back on, as that is what it was designed for... to keep water out. As I stated earlier water does get in behind the battery, it's not a lot but enough to cause issues if left unchecked.

New Here

Hello to all, I have been following your thread on the VX-8R and have enjoyed and found the information so helpful and informative that my new VX-8R will be here on Wednesday the 18th. I also appreciate all of you that have tossed it in the "drink" for a wet test. :LOL: I have a lot of questions but my first one is regarding the antenna, I know that stock duck antennas are less than optimal but in regards to the one on the 8R.....is it worth purchasing another antenna or is the stock antenna on the 8R efficient enough to wait a while. How sensitive is the GPS attachment and is it better to have it on the mic or the radio itself. The battery is not the best so I have heard and will look into a high capacity. Mike KC2PLJ

Congrats on the VX-8R purchase, you'll like the radio a lot... I know I do. Anyway, the stock antenna is not too bad for hitting local repeaters and for getting your APRS beacon into a nearby digipeater.

I purchased a Diamond SRH-320A antenna for my radio and it's a nice improvement over the duck, but pricey at $50. It covers transmit on 2/440/220 and has wide receive. Trying to do 6 meters on the HT is tough and unless it's a 6 meter repeater in your town, the rubber duck with the extension and 5 watts won't get you far. In fact, I've tried to hit a few 6 meter repeaters a couple of towns away from me, but have had no luck.

As for the GPS unit, it's really sensitive and I routinely lock onto 8-10 sats from inside my house. This will vary depending on the orbit of the sats at varying times during the day. I have both the speaker mic and adapter for the GPS, but prefer using the speaker mic with the gps as it adds less bulk to the radio itself and is easily removed.

If your going to do APRS with the GPS, your going to need the high capacity battery. I bought it and although ridiculous they did not make it standard, it's needed to get you through the day. I also bought the drop in charger which makes it handy to be able to charge one battery while using the other. It will charge the std battery in 2.5 hours and the high capacity in 4 hours.

Have fun!

Antenna depends on distance to your repeaters....more antenna == more better, but you may not need it.

For 2m/440, the Diamond RH77 is really hard to beat. If it won't get done with that, generally no other duck will do it.

Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna

For a compact (about 3") flexible antenna, I just got one of these for scanner use and it is remarkable for its size. Obviously not as much gain as the Diamond.

Maldol MH-209 Amateur HT Antenna

The Stock antenna is not bad for me. I replaced it with a Diamond SRHF40 and Diamond SRH789. The SRHF40 is nice. I like how bendable it is. I drop it in to my pocket and don’t think about breaking anything. The SRH789 I bought for going out of band. I don’t use it as much as I thought I would. I have been using it in addition to a long wire for listening to SW. Now you can get a quad band SRH-999. This would be nice at times, but it is large and I would be concerned about breaking my SMA connector. Additionally, I am now using a mag mounted tri-band antenna for use in the car.

About the time I am willing to sign the praises of the GPS with APRS I get some wild * reading or no readings at all. According to the online maps, I was several miles out to sea the other day (I was not out in the ocean.). I was unable to get decent readings in DC around the whitehouse, capital building, monument row and such. The GPS would not sync up to the satellites as I drove down the road. Then the next day it is accurate enough for me to walk to the exact spot I was the day before.

As far as GPS on the MIC or on the radio, I think that is very subjective. If you want a wired mic then it has to go on the mic. If you don't then it is going on the radio.

Battery life is an issue. With GPS, APRS, listening on the other channel, TXing very little you will not get 8 hours out of the standard battery. The AA conversion pack is less than useful, because you can not get 5W output. The larger battery is pretty good. It will last me a full day.

I would also suggest you get the cradle charger. I didn’t for the first couple months, but I can see that the charge port cover is not going to stay water tight if I keep plugging it in every night.

Thanks

I will definitely put a high capacity battery on my short list and I have decided today that the GPS and speaker mic are a must so I am going to order both. I think I will wait on an antenna as I have plenty repeaters in this area that are close and easily reached with my other HT's that I have had in the past. I will be using this radio while mobile in the wife's car as she wont allow a permanent install for a mobile rig. I have the Kenwood TM-D710 in my vehicle and it's great. Thanks again for the advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned