• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

glad to see you got the DR. You've got pretty much the same options that I did when I got mine a couple months ago. I think that you will like how well the boom mike performs. I was pleasantly surprised although it does look a little dorky when you have it on but were hams not fashion models:love:. On my DR I have it set VOX:pTT and on my FTM-350 it is set to VOX:LOW. Last night I was on my local clubs weekly net while driving around town and the boom mic worked flawlessly. Those that were on the net said that my sound was excellent. As for B band RX audio I can't say much as I use the B band solely for APRS. That way I can have the volume turned right off and I don't need to listen to the modem. I use my 350 the same way. If I want to use both bands on either radio I just shut the APRS asked off. Problem solved:whistle:.

73 Darryl VA7DTP

For APRS mute to work, you have to have the APRS modem turned on. It also only works on the B band (where the APRS modem works)

Re: APRS Mute

I just set the volume on B-Band to 0 (zero).

Ya I thought that would work but you still hear the packets, not sure whats going on. I'm going to do a complete reset and start from scratch again just to see what happens..

Ok did a complete reset, APRS Mute does in fact work now. Not sure if maybe the radio didnt reset properly after the mod, but its working just fine now. Showing up on the net as well W1MED-14.

I'm having some trouble assigning memories to Banks. I get a No Bank message. Might be something I am missing in the procedure via the book. ( DISREGARD Figured it out ) DUH

Also not sure if this has been posted, but I know someone was saying they didnt like to use 2 hands to adjust volume, but if you hit the F/W key then VOL you dont have to hold the VOL key anymore, just turn the knob to adjust the volume.

Last edited:
For me, with APRS mute on I still hear something when I transmit beacons. With it off and the sound at zero on that band I hear the same thing, but I don't hear incoming packets. Is that how it should work?

My gripe - I wish you could turn off the GPS unit without removing it, since taking it off of the speaker/mic is a PITA. Anyone know how long the unit will last with the GPS running and a fully charged big battery? I'm gonna have 2 with me for field day and I expect to be onsite for a while. I suppose I really only need to transmit 1 beacon when I get there and can then take the GPS off, but storing it does worry me a bit.

VX-8R vs TH-F6A

I sold my TH-F6A before receiving my VX-8R. Sorry I did since I did not get to test the radios side by side and I find myself missing some of the F6 features.

For instance, the F6 receives sideband and CW, a full 5 watts on 220, the display is brighter and easier to see than the 8R's display.

The 8Rs buttons are bigger, the main knob can be operated with 1 finger,
and yes it is built better than the F6. I am not really using the APRS on it and i do have the Yaesu 350R in the shack for APRS.

I posted a question on one of the VX-8R Yahoo groups and a couple of knowledgable people posted lenghty technical info on it which could be useful if i understood it all.....

As for audio quality and sensitivinty and signal strengths between the 2 radios I will be able to check that soon by either borrowing a friends F6 or buying a new one....there is a $40 coupon right now so I can buy the radio for about $285 delivered. Also some of the stores are selling it with the 2000mah battery rather than the smaller 1550 mah battery.

Fuuny thing i also have a VX-3R (which i will never sell)....it is so small and cute and receives some bands better than the 8R I think...the shortwave and marine bands are better....

I am selling a camera to finance the F6 so when I get the $$$ in my hands is when I'll have to decide.....but I really wouldn't mind having the F6 back again if only to play with it for a while....

abe W4FTL

BTW Moleculo the pic you have is of the VX-2R, not the 3R...but guess you knew that ))

New TH-F6a arrived but......

Yes, the F6 arrived today. Funny thing, its hard going back. Could you imagine going back to using a modem? Seriously though, it's a close call. I think the VX8 has a better sounding speaker. I dislike the long charge cycle on the F6, there is no charging stand, it seems the new one is not as good as a receiver on some bands as my older F6, it takes 2 fingers to use the tuning knob. The display is much easier to see on the F6 though. The new battery on the F6 is a larger 2000mah. The F6 "feels" better in your hands.

However, I dont need 3 HTs (I am keeping my VX3) so I will probably part with the Kenwood.....why? The VX8 has more features (except for SSB receive) and is a more up to date radio and is solidly built. It is a close call tho...

abe
W4FTL

You can get a drop-in charger for the TH-F6 from WW Manufacturing. Trouble is, you also have to buy a new battery pack from them as well because the Kenwood one doesn't have the contacts for the drop-in charger, so it works out quite expensive.

Devil's Advocate

I purchased a VX-8DR a couple weeks ago. More product reviews are better than less so I hope you don’t mind me adding mine here. I’ve only read the first 20 pages of this thread so I apologize if some items mentioned here have been covered already.

My strategy when choosing this transceiver was to purchase a major manufacturer’s top end model that had the functionality I required for my application. I ended up purchasing the Yaesu VX-8DR. I’m not particularly happy with my purchase. The VX-8DR has some saving graces (chiefly its abundance of capabilities) which have saved it from the Kijiji listings. Overall I truly believe that the developers could have made this radio something to behold but there is strong evidence it was rushed to the production line instead. There are many things (good and bad) that you might want to know about this radio before deciding to purchase it. I’ll start with the bad.

Hardware:
First thing out of the box the radio had an electrical problem. A bad connection causes the speaker volume to change considerably when the radio is tilted at different angles or if the speaker grill is pressed gently.

The antenna deforms very easily. Handheld rubberized antenna design is an old, well hashed out art so I’m confused as to why my well taken care of radio had permanent kinks in the antenna after just two days.

The finish started wearing off of the VFO select buttons after only a few hours of use.

The wall adapter supplied with the radio is too small to power it when it’s transmitting so if the PTT button is pressed when the radio is plugged in it shuts off completely. Plan on upgrading to a proper power supply, if you don’t want to be running off batteries, all of the time. The power connector is a standard coaxial type but very tiny. You may have to look around a bit for one of these or order it directly from Yaesu.

Another annoyance is that when you connect or disconnect the wall adapter from the radio it does not transfer to and from the battery power seamlessly so the radio will shut off. If you have changed settings and not powered off the radio properly before this happens those settings will be lost. I find this particularly frustrating because I like to have the radio running on my desk then unplugging it and taking it with me when I head out the door.

There is no USB interface on this radio for backing up and organizing the thousand plus frequencies and dozens of settings. Its difficult to find a consumer electronic device these days that doesn’t have a USB interface, particularly a device with onboard memory, but Yaesu is still in the dark ages here so I have to instead order an accessory from a third party who has hacked the radio, to provide (partially anyway) what everybody would obviously be asking for.

The Bluetooth headset listed for the VX-8DR is so ridiculously bulky and retro looking that I wouldn’t be seen dead with it. It reminds me of those 1980s Realistic 49Mhz headsets that only worked for 100 feet. It’s not specified whether or not the VX-8DR uses the actual Bluetooth standard. I’m hoping it does because I can pick up a decent aftermarket earpiece for $25.00. Why does one of the top equipment manufactures have to apply such a geek factor to their new products? There are a lot of fun activities that are around to compete with amateur radio these days and they certainly have their share of shiny toys such as I-pods, PlayStations etc.

The button interface for this unit is atrocious by today’s standards. There are 26 controls sprawled out around the radio; each has a gazillion functions and because they are so small the abbreviations on them mean almost nothing. The PTT area on the side of the radio has four different buttons, including VOLUME, MONITOR, FUNCTION and PTT. The convoluted methods used to adjust functions on this radio make remembering how to operate it difficult enough, but having to remember what all the buttons do and where they are located compounds the problem. This is a major beef of mine. Why does this radio have the look and feel of something out of the mid-80s with a partially fixed, low resolution dot matrix display? Color graphical touch screens are a dime a dozen these days and have been used for years now in small consumer products such as cell phones, cameras, as well as GPS units, and for good reason. In fact they are hobby level devices and I have been using them in projects for some time now. The buttons and display on the VX-8DR take up 3/4 of the front panel; these could be replaced by a large touch screen, easily navigated, dynamic menus and large, well labeled, virtual buttons. When the buttons are not being used large frequency readings, status displays, and graphs could take their place. With a touch display, firmware updates could instantly solve ergonomics issues. For a device this complex and loaded with functions a touch screen is the only logical choice. If you haven’t had the opportunity to try out an Apple I-Touch I highly recommend going down to the local consumer electronics store and playing with one. You’ll instantly fall in love with the user interface. I turned my VX-8DR on in the vehicle the other night and my friend thought I was using one of the original flip cell phones. Again, what’s with the geek factor?

Firmware:
The radio’s main issues lay in firmware (glitches, inconsistencies, lack of flexibility concerning basic functions, difficulty navigating controls etc.)

The clock occasionally changes time and then returns to the correct time. Maybe this is part of an actual function that I occasionally activate but alas the vapor thin user manual provides no hint of this.

When the battery is charged and the power is off the radio may display “EXTERNAL DC” or “CHARGE COMPLETE” or “NO BATTERY”.

The “SCAN LAMP” function, a feature that turns on the display illumination when an active channel is found is not reliable.

The control dial cannot be set as a volume control. This means that you have to find and press the volume function button which is poorly labeled and hidden amongst the other PTT button functions on the side of the radio, with one hand. Then with the other hand, rotate the control dial. ??????!!!!!! It is almost impossible to change the volume if the radio is stored in a pocket or on a belt clip or anywhere else beside in your hand. This is a portable radio so it follows that it will be operated in continuously changing noise environments. There is a reason that most portables have a large easily accessible volume knob and it hurts my brain to consider what happened here. This reminds me of a beer bottle I found on an archeological dig one time. It had a rounded bottom, designed so that bar patrons could not set their drinks down lest the beer spill out. This way the drink was always in hand and was consumed more rapidly. Perhaps Yaesu believes that if we always have the radios in our hands in order to operate them it will look like we’re having so much fun, we just can’t put the darn things down. I have partially solved this problem by using earphones with a built in volume control. Actually I have cut and soldered together pieces of three earphones so that I have the earbuds I want attached to a volume control which is attached to a straight in stereo plug (a 90 degree plug won’t fit because of the waterproof flange on the radios audio jack).

The squelch is extremely weak and the s-meter pins high with signals so week that they are completely unintelligible. I do a lot of direction finding but it’s pretty much a lost cause with this radio. The squelch cannot be adjusted high enough to cut out even the weakest of signals and the radio is always sputtering from one distant signal or another. It’s so distracting and embarrassing when I’m in the car with other passengers I usually just shut it off. For direction finding I’m now designing an adjustable, external attenuator. Great! One more thing to lug around.

One of the most commonly used buttons, the main menu button which allows you to access the 111 setup functions (some of them primary adjustments such as squelch) is tasked instead to the GPS functions. So it’s labeled as “MENU” but when you press it, it takes you to the GPS display and APRS pages. In order to access the menu you have to hold it down for a couple of seconds. If you don’t (try and do this three times without forgetting to) then you end up having to page through several GPS/APRS pages to get back to where you can access the menu again, EVEN IF YOU DON’T HAVE A GPS CONNECTED. I’m certain that Yaesu did this just so you would be reminded five times a day that you own a real GPS unit instead of the mostly useless module that they want you to buy for this radio.

The function settings require a plethora of methods to edit and save settings etc. For instance saving a setting may require pressing the PTT, FW, V/M, the Internet button or maybe others that I’ve forgotten at this point. This makes remembering how to run even the most common features of the radio extremely difficult to do. It’s ridiculous and unnecessary.

The CW learning/training function seems to be taking up space better used for something else. Here we have someone owning a top end transceiver but they don’t know CW yet? Besides this, there are loads of free CW training tools on the Internet. Perhaps the space could have been better assigned to an on board user guide for the radio. After all, what good is knowing CW if you can’t figure out how to get it running? This brings up the other Swiss army features on the radio such as the barometer and flashlight. I find myself asking where is the jackknife, compass, fishhooks, emergency blanket, fire starter, signal mirror, etc. The flashlight function by the way is buried somewhere within the other 111 menu functions. Handy…

The main menu with its 111 items is very poorly labeled. There is no consistency in the item names which makes finding settings time consuming. This could have been very easily avoided. For example Yaesu decided to use the following:
(46) LAMP is the control setting for the display’s illumination on duration.
(49) LCD DIMMER is the control setting for the display illumination brightness.
(50) LED LIGHT is the flashlight on/off control.
(81) SCAN LIGHT is the control setting that determines if the display illumination turns on if an active channel is found during search or scan.
I thought they were using inconsistent names in order to keep related items close together alphabetically but that doesn’t explain “SCAN LIGHT”.
Oh yeah, and despite all of the different internet function settings there is actually one menu item listed simply as “INTERNET”. Internet what? Internet diaper changing function? That one is nothing short of comical.

The spectrum analyzer function has no gain control. More often than not the background noise has the graph pinned high across the entire band making the analyzer useless.

The RX attenuation function can only be turned on or off, not adjustable. It is global. It cannot be activated/deactivated for individual memories (which is a minor disappointment). About ten years ago I bought a Realistic scanner that had this capability and it was very handy for cutting out interference on particularly noisy channels without compromising the RX sensitivity of the other channels.

Something in the firmware causes the RX sensitivity to change when switching back and forth between functions.

Other Issues
The RX sensitivity, particularly in the shortwave bands is very poor. With a 34 foot horizontal dipole I’m lucky to pick up two intelligible stations when skip peaks for the day. In contrast my $27.00 Grundig FR-200 AM/FM/SW crank radio with its built in 24 inch telescoping antenna receives over a dozen SW stations.

The RX sensitivity is reduced noticeably when the radio is plugged into the wall adapter. I understand how attaching the radio to a power supply can affect the antenna dynamics and I know that it can be a difficult thing for the designers to control but it’s still annoying and so I’m mentioning it.

The radio will not run on rechargeable batteries when using the AA cell battery case. This is extremely disappointing.

User manual:
The manual is extremely anorexic. It has a table of contents but no index. The paper version of course has no search function so if you are trying to find details on a specific topic you’ll instead find yourself spending a frustratingly large portion of time thumbing through the manual page by page. Another item the manual lacks is a glossary and its author’s enthusiasm for proprietary acronyms compounds the problem. The manual seems to leave out important details as well. For instance, the radio is apparently submersible but it does not tell you if the antenna has to be screwed on in order for this to be true or not. Inspecting the antenna connector leaves it to question. This is an important issue for me since I spend most of my free time tromping around in the bush with my radio stowed. The antenna is off so it fits in my pocket and also to reduce flexing stress on the radio’s antenna connector. Of course, despite its thin profile Yaesu seemed to find the budget to fit, into the front of the manual, a description of all the accessories you could spend money on.

Things I like about this radio:
It’s small
It’s submersible (at least under some conditions)
I can scan specific frequencies with one VFO while listening to another frequency on the other VFO. This way I never miss important chatter (do to priority channel scan delay) on the most important frequency.
I can listen to each VFO in each ear or both VFOs in both ears. This is very helpful for sorting out priority chatter.
I can set the radio to automatically turn the volume down, or off, on one VFO when the other VFO detects an active channel. Again, this important for sorting out priority chatter.

So there you have it. Over four pages of what I don’t like about this radio and a quarter page of what I do.

It sounds to me like you have more than a couple things wrong with your radio. Are you sure you didn't get a return or refurbished radio? Bent antennas, button labels rubbing off, speaker problems, etc. - all things that you rarely hear about.

I'm a little confused about some of the comments that you have about the radio, though. Some of the things that you mentioned are clearly documented in the manual and in the many reviews online, including this very lengthy thread (like rechargeable batteries, transmitting while charging, how the CW training works, what the Internet button is for, etc.) It seems that you might have expectations of what a handheld radio can do that are a bit misplaced, as well. For example, no HT on the market has good SW sensitivity and there will probably never be one that does. It's just not feasible in such a small package. RX attenuation is a feature that almost no HT's have. Just having the ability to turn on a pre-determined level of attenuation is better than just about anything else out there. Sure adjustable attenuation would be nice, but compare the other options in the marketplace. There is precisely one HT on the market that has a USB port, and it just came out about 2 weeks ago. Ham operators like me have been harping on this for years.

Regarding the overall button layout and user interface, this radio has the typical Yaesu style HT presentation. They've been doing it basically this same way for years. Have you never looked at any Yaesu HT's like the VX-6 or VX-7? I would like to see some radical changes in radio user interfaces, too but I also understand why it is beneficial to keep the same basic look and feel - it softens the learning curve for your existing customers. Eventually someone will come out with a radio that is totally touch screen like an iPhone or Android, but it's going to be a very long time from now. None of these radio companies have anywhere close to the R&D budgets that Microsoft, Google, or Apple have at their disposal. There are also other practical reasons why the radios use the display technologies they do, rather than use something like an iPhone display. One reason is that the displays are always on, so battery consumption is an issue. The other is that color LCDs are notoriously difficult to read outdoors, which is where HT's are often used.

Regarding the manuals - yep, they all suck. Every single one of them. The VX-8 manual is probably one of the more complete manuals available. You should try working through the manual from a Wouxun radio, lol.

Anyway, spend some time reading about the various functions and it will become easier to use. Use this site as a resource, as well. Keep your expectations in line with what the radio is intended for. Lastly, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Memory bank delete

Been quite a while since I have been on here and I have a question for the group, is it possible to delete an entire bank of memories? The reason I ask is a friend wants me to clone his VX-8R with my RT Systems files, however he isn't interested in everything I have on mine and would like to delete some of the banks after they are downloaded to his HT. Is it possible to delete the ones he doesn't want?

Roy
AA6QQ

Been quite a while since I have been on here and I have a question for the group, is it possible to delete an entire bank of memories? The reason I ask is a friend wants me to clone his VX-8R with my RT Systems files, however he isn't interested in everything I have on mine and would like to delete some of the banks after they are downloaded to his HT. Is it possible to delete the ones he doesn't want?

Roy
AA6QQ

It would be very easy to give him the frequencies that he wants. Just duplicate your RT Systems file, rename it then delete or adds frequencies and then upload that file to his radio. Then you still have your original file and one for your friend. You have the software so use it.:D I have a few files that I interchange on my radio when I am doing different things. I have a main file to use when I am home, one for when I travel to Alberta and one for summer boating. It takes just a few seconds to switch them withs the software. I hope that helps.

Moleculo wrote:
-“Are you sure you didn't get a return or refurbished radio?”

No. I didn’t get a refurbished radio. If it had been refurbished perhaps the speaker would have been repaired and working properly. The buttons were in new condition when I started using the radio and the settings were at default. There was no evidence that the radio was a return and if it was a return it would have had a speaker problem for whoever had it first anyway. Are you saying the corners have not worn off of the VFO select buttons on your radio?

Moleculo wrote:
-“Some of the things that you mentioned are clearly documented in the manual”

Could you please specify? I’ve read the entire manual. I realize that there are instructions on how to use the CW training. My complaint is that in order to run the radio you pretty much have to carry a manual which is as large as the radio itself into the field with you. This is partially because the user interface is non-intuitive and too convoluted to remember. It is also partially because they decided to put a CW training app into the radio instead of a user guide app.

The manual is very poor despite being better than most that come with these types of radios. I’m dumbfounded as to why the standard in this industry has to be so much lower than that of say the electronic component industry. I’ve read manuals on single components that were larger than the one for this whole radio. You say that I can search the forums for instructions. I say I shouldn’t have to. Arguing that this is what the industry generally supplies doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. If a low standard is all you have come to expect then it is all you will ever get.

Moleculo wrote:
-“It seems that you might have expectations of what a handheld radio can do that are a bit misplaced, as well.”

I know what the support electronics in any other consumer electronic device are capable of and have been capable of for many years now. Many of the issues in the VX-8DR have been resolved elsewhere. It seems that you might have expectations that are a bit low. I’m not expecting magic but even my 8 year old cell phone that I purchased new, for $35.00 without a contract doesn’t shut off when I unplug it or when I make a call with the wall adapter plugged in. It’s smaller, has easily navigated menus and comes with a computer interface to boot!

Moleculo wrote:
-“Have you never looked at any Yaesu HT's like the VX-6 or VX-7”

Yes, I owned a VX-6. Comparing a bruised apple to a completely shriveled and dried apple in order to make the bruised apple look better sounds more like a lawyer’s defense tactic than a valid argument.

Moleculo wrote:
-“it is beneficial to keep the same basic look and feel - it softens the learning curve for your existing customers.”

Hasn’t been a problem for the millions of regular folk buying & running an IPhone, Blackberry, GPS, digital camera, etc. How many decades does the technology have to lag behind before that excuse runs dry?

Moleculo wrote:
-“None of these radio companies have anywhere close to the R&D budgets that Microsoft, Google, or Apple have at their disposal.”

Hasn’t been a problem for me. I purchased an EasyPic development board from MicroElektronika for a few hundred dollars and I’ve been building projects with touch screens ever since. Big dollars are not required. If these companies built devices that met their customer’s expectations perhaps their budgets would improve too.

Moleculo wrote:
-“There is precisely one HT on the market that has a USB port, and it just came out about 2 weeks ago.”

Why? Everybody else has managed it.

Moleculo wrote:
-“One reason is that the displays are always on, so battery consumption is an issue. The other is that color LCDs are notoriously difficult to read outdoors, which is where HT's are often used.”

Again, not a problem for the millions of Iphone and GPS users.

Moleculo wrote:
-“Keep your expectations in line with what the radio is intended for.”

I’m so disappointed at the gap between these radios and other modern tech that it has significantly affected my interest in the hobby. In the beginning years Amateurs used to be the cutting edge developers of radio technology and I’m left wondering if the reason the hobby’s popularity has dwindled is due to the fact we have let that spirit slip by relinquishing the development control to the corporations. I understand that enthusiasts of the hobby will tend to sugarcoat new devices that come out in order to bolster interest in a disappearing pastime but I myself am not an enthusiast. Despite having my license for 22 years I don’t think I’ve ever once transmitted on an Amateur frequency. My needs for a radio are purely practical and I have no interest in participating in Amateur Radio on a hobby level. You seem to be extremely enthusiastic about the hobby so our perspective and objectiveness will probably differ considerably.

I realize I sound like a bit of a sorry sport but I'm trying to say it as I see it and I'm a bit jaded by the condition of things in this field.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.