• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

The manual has the spec on the mic - it's 2K Ohms impedance. That should at least help point you in the right direction?

For the grey seal pads, I'm sure you could get the directly from Yaesu. They also come with the bluetooth option. I suppose you could use something like aluminum foil tape also, which can be found at most hardware stores.

DO you have this battery: 2000mAh FNB-102LI Battery for YAESU VERTEX VX-8R?

My thf6 has a 2000mAH stock.

Nice review Tim, especially with the mod! I sold mine with all the extra goodies and had a HARD time getting $300 for it (speaker mic, big lipo batt, stock batt, gps, aa pack adapter, and multiple antennas).

It gave me alot of problems relating to the various recievers, primarily intermod on 2m and then the wideband recieve, and THEN the fm broadcast went out. 3 trips to yaesu.

I still want another now that i have remote stuff running, the ultra low power output options and th 6m option i miss quite a bit.

Off to go see what you think about another one of my yaesu's the 897d.

greetings,
I can't seem to be able to enter 2182Khz on my VX-8R. I tried different frequency steps, and closest i got is 2181.25khz

I am hoping to be able to listen on this marine emergency frequency.

thanks in advance

Hi everyone, thanks for the review!
Just got my lic here in South Africa and are planning on buying this radio however does anyone know if you can operate the radio in the car while it is connected to the car charger? If not does anyone have a solution to run the radio with a constant power supply (work around)?

Thx
Stéfan

ZA-Jbay said:
does anyone know if you can operate the radio in the car while it is connected to the car charger? If not does anyone have a solution to run the radio with a constant power supply (work around)?

Yes that will work, just make sure the vehicle charger/plug has enough amps to run the radio.
Basically you want a battery eliminator.
Sent from my Galaxy note 2 on Verizon 4G LTE.

Hi everyone, thanks for the review!
Just got my lic here in South Africa and are planning on buying this radio however does anyone know if you can operate the radio in the car while it is connected to the car charger? If not does anyone have a solution to run the radio with a constant power supply (work around)?

Thx
Stéfan

I did it all the time with the Yaesu DC car charger. It worked fine.

Thx guys, ordered the radio yesterday. Really learned a lot on this forum about the VX8R It also put my doubts about the radio to rest. We get the 8RE here in SA. I'm sure I'll still have a lot of questions later.

Thx guys

Got the VX8DE this week.

Well at this stage I have really enjoyed the radio. Its not that hard to program on the device, everything have thus far been straight forward as the manual said, only problem i found was with saving the time however i found the solution on a previous post http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/36965-vx-8r-setting-time-how.html

I'm now working on APRS, i don't have the GPS unit yet so I would like to get the weather via APRS. Have followed all the steps to setting up APRS however I don't get any stations in stations list yet...mm? Wonder if I can program a station manually? I'll work some more on that.

Sorry if this was asked before. I can't find HH radios forum section...

Is there ANY way possible to set Motorola DPL codes into VX-8R or DR units?

thanks in advance.

KC2WIC

Sorry if this was asked before. I can't find HH radios forum section...

Is there ANY way possible to set Motorola DPL codes into VX-8R or DR units?

thanks in advance.

KC2WIC

Motorola's DPL System is the same thing as DCS, which is what the VX-8 calls it.

Thanks a lot Moleculo. I did find this out about an hour after i posted it. My VX-8R sounded a bit noisy and very loud to CP200 Motorola walkies i was communicating with. It worked out though, as i had nearly no preparation time.

thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.