• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

I really studied the manual tonight to try and learn and understand some of the features of the radio that aren't obvious. Some are easily understood by the manual but some are well, let's just say "challenging". The problem is that the manual is just incomplete in some areas.

I figured out how to edit the APRS Message Group filter, which I don't think is very clear in the manual. I thought that the Message Group was a filter that allowed you to choose which stations you wanted to receive messages from (That's the typical meaning in other applications). As it turns out this is just a filter that lets you receive only from APRS registered groups. This is more just my lack of knowledge on some specific APRS functionality than anything else.

I can't figure out how to delete memories at all. I've tried every key combination (except the correct one, apparently). It's easy enough to overwrite memories, but not delete.

Concerning programming memories: I think it's really easy on this radio. You just make sure it's in VFO mode, punch in the frequency you want including any tones, ctcss, etc. and then hold the Function key on the side for a 1/2 second. It automatically prompts you to write the channel to the next available memory. If you want, you can use the big knob on top to overwrite or choose a different memory. At that point, you can just do nothing and it will write it, or hit the Function key again if you're impatient. Pretty simple, huh?

Out of Band Question

I work with the Navy, and we use the 2M frequency 139.975. With this mod, have you had any success with TX in this range? Thanks.

aircraft band question

Does your testing reveal whether or not this new radio will transmit AM on the aircraft band (e.g.:122.900) as does the VX-7R?

I work with the Navy, and we use the 2M frequency 139.975. With this mod, have you had any success with TX in this range? Thanks.

Does your testing reveal whether or not this new radio will transmit AM on the aircraft band (e.g.:122.900) as does the VX-7R?

He is out of town on a hunting trip for the weekend, hopefully he will answer when he returns next week (y)

moleculo,

thanks to your post a couple of buddies and i acquired the vx-8r. we added the diamond srh320a with considerable improvement over the factory duckie. wondering if the Tx mod will allow Tx in the GMRS range. we have a number of family members who have GMRS for disaster preparedness and were wondering if we could use the Yeasu as a replacement for our GMRS units if we applied the Tx mod. Thoughts?

Just passed the technician test today (got a 100%) and after seeing your review I'm ordering my first radio--the VX-8R with optional gps and mic attachment, scoft case, & rapid charger. Been doing a lot of looking around for about 3 weeks as to this radio or the 7R, and I didn't see a reason for the price difference till I read what the gps system was for, and what it did.

I have one question, how do you connect this to a computer to program it, of is this not possible. What cable, software, etc. is needed to do this?

Thanks for your posting and pictures that compared to the others I have seen are great quality.

-=ben
(??8???) call sign coming soon!

Last edited:
I just got back from a weekend hunting trip in the Mojave preserve.

wondering if the Tx mod will allow Tx in the GMRS range.

Yes.

I have one question, how do you connect this to a computer to program it, of is this not possible. What cable, software, etc. is needed to do this?

It's not out yet. Also, RT Systems has on their page a status that they are working on supporting the VX-8, but no date yet. It looks like it will be available soon.

More on APRS functionality

I've been driving around experimenting with the effectiveness of the APRS functionality of the VX-8r. I also took it with me this last weekend on a weekend hunting trip to the Mojave Preserve.

For the most part it works as advertised. However, 5 watts out of a duckie antenna does limit your ability to effectively transmit messages and to be tracked.

Digi Path settings
The APRS settings menu has a setting called Digi Path. Without going to all the details (a good resource is here: Southern California APRS Guidelines), this setting determines how many hops your beacon or message will be allowed to take which can make the difference of being "heard" or not. The way that Yaesu implements this is by putting entries into the Digi Path setting. They take effect in the order you put them in, i.e. 1., 2., 3., etc. It makes sense once you get into the menu. The default from Yaesu is 1. Wide1-1, 2. Wide2-1. After a little research, I decided that it would be much better to change 2. to Wide2-2.

The VX-8r will not transmit a beacon or attempt to send a message while it is receiving APRS traffic. That makes perfect sense. One thing I noticed however, is that the VFO B (the one you must use for APRS)receiver picks up engine noise from my Jeep. The result is that it opens the squelch and you hear steady static. Incidentally, I didn't get this behaviour in the RV over the weekend. As a result, the radio never beacons while driving around in the Jeep. To get around this problem, I just activate the antenna attenuator (Setup Menu 3.) when driving. Now it doesn't pick up the engine noise at all and beacons just fine. Since I have another radio in the Jeep anyway, the HT is there really just for APRS use.

Programmer for the VX-8

Posted At : December 25, 2008 12:21 AM | Posted By : Karin
Related Categories: Yaesu, VX-8
There have been three stages to the information provided about the programmer for the new Yaesu VX-8 HT. To recap for those of you who are just joining us....
For those who inquired early (before the radio's release) we had to be conservative. Remember, we get nothing prior to the radio being available on the American market. We purchase a radio from a dealer just like all of you.
After what we found with the last radio Yaesu released, the FTM-10 that "clones" via UHF frequency and not from the computer, we had to wait to make any predictions for the VX-8. So we waited.
Once we received our radio (December 19th) the first attempts to address the radio did not go well. Notice first the mic jack on that radio. It's a very unique 7-pin jack taking, of course, a very special 7-pin plug. We hoped that the mic adapter would be wired with the right connections for programming, as was the mic adapter for the VX-7 when it appeared with its threaded mic jack. No such luck. And attempts to get in through the speaker jack also failed. So we ordered another piece to try and we waited.
The new piece arrived (December 23..5:30 PM) we solved one more piece of this puzzel. After about a dozen tries...eleven of which ended in failure and several discissions of this not being possible...SUCCESS.
We have now identified all that needs to be done...
1) A new plug to address the mic jack must be developed and manufactured by RT Systems. These are not available from Yaesu in bulk as we would need them for resonable pricing.
2) A new circut design for the electronics of the interface between the radio and the computer. This radio does not use the same electronics as any of the other handheld or mobile radios.
3) Software development and testing: at this point, this is the easiest of the three as we are in control here...all the others are in the hands of our suppliers.
There have been several surprises with this radio. Now that we have identified the things to be done, we can work to get each completed to have a programmer and cabling for you just as soon as we can.
Check back here for more information. I'll keep you posted every step of the way.
RT Systems' Radio Programmer Info: Programmer for the VX-8

we added the diamond srh320a with considerable improvement over the factory duckie.

I also had that antenna for the Kenwood THF-6a. I tested the VX-8r with that antenna on a couple of 220mhz repeaters and 220 simplex. Overall I saw almost an S unit increase on 220mhz (as indicated by the VX-8r S meter) with the Diamond antenna.

As a result, the radio never beacons while driving around in the Jeep. To get around this problem, I just activate the antenna attenuator (Setup Menu 3.) when driving. Now it doesn't pick up the engine noise at all and beacons just fine. Since I have another radio in the Jeep anyway, the HT is there really just for APRS use.

Is that a wrangler by chance? Mine is noisy as heck on 2m simplex as well. Haven't been able to find the source yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.