• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

VX-8R

Greetings,

I’m a new member on this forum and a beginner with Ham Radios. As such, please excuse me if I ask a newbie question. :) I look forward to learning as much as possible and actively contributing to this forum.

I am receiving the VX-8R today and looking forward to checkout all of the cool features. Currently, I am studying to take the initial technician exam. Looking good so far!

Best regards,

Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott. Feel free to add onto this review when you get your radio, or start your own if you like

Is that a wrangler by chance? Mine is noisy as heck on 2m simplex as well. Haven't been able to find the source yet.

Yeah, 1999 6cyl. If you haven't cured the fuel pump noise, do that first. I think the rest of if is coming from the computer. I get some iginition noise on the power lines, but the HT isn't attached to the vehicle power so....

VX-8r APRS AF DUAL

APRS AF DUAL

Here is something that I figured out today to help someone out over on the Yahoo group. The manual is not very helpful with this functionality so I figured I'd detail it out a little more to help others out.

First some background info: The VX-8r has some functionality called AF Dual. When listening to AM/FM broadcast while monitoring ham frequencies on the VFOs, this functionality gives the user a choice of what the radio does when an incoming signal opens the squelch on one of the VFO's. If AF Dual is turned ON, it does not interrupt the AM/FM broadcast and you get both coming out of the speakers at the same time. With AF Dual turned OFF, the broadcast is temporarily turned off while the VFO is being played. Under this scenario, the radio automatically switches the AM/FM broadcast back on when it detects the VFO transmission is done. This part is detailed out pretty well in the manual.

While you're in the APRS menu settings, there is an additional setting called APRS AF Dual. Here's what it does: If you are listening to AM/FM broadcast and also have VFO B on an APRS frequency (144.390), if the APRS Modem is ON, it will temporarily mute the AM/FM broadcast and play the APRS sound, which sounds just like a modem. Most people aren't going to want to hear all the APRS garbage, so you will turn the APRS MUTE setting to ON. If APRS MUTE ON is set, the APRS AF DUAL setting doesn't do anything. However, if APRS MUTE is OFF, then the APRS AF DUAL setting behaves similarly to the AF DUAL functionality. If APRS AF DUAL is ON, then it plays both the AM/FM broadcast and APRS audio at the same time. If APRS AF DUAL is OFF, then it interrupts the broadcast for a few seconds to play only the APRS sound.

Maybe that will save someone some time trying to figure out what that function is for :)

Internet Modes

Internet Modes

The VX-8r has native support for the WIRES internet linking protocol. A quick check of the active WIRES stations tells us real quick that if you live outside of Japan, this functionality is useless.

However, I've found that this functionality does come with an "alternate" mode which makes it VERY useful for tying into IRLP or Winlink.

I won't go into step by step instructions (the manual is good on this), but I will describe the functionality as the marketing fliers don't do that great of a job at explaining why you might want this.

The first thing you need to do is put the Internet Connection Mode into FRG (Friendly Radio Group). This is not the default setting. After you do this, you can program in up to 64 IRLP or Winlink nodes that you want to save. For example, if I want to call Happy_Hamer, I don't have to remember his local IRLP node number...I just program it in and give it a short name.

Then when I want to call up that node on IRLP or Winlink, I put the VFO onto the appropriate repeater frequency (this can be stored as well, of course). Hold the Internet button (look back at the close-up photo, it's the bottom left button on the front) and turn it to the node number I want to recall and hit PTT quickly to lock it in. Once I have the node locked in, all I have to do is key the radio to hit the repeater and hit the Internet button once and it automatically dials the DTMF tones for me. Pretty neat!

My VX-8R Has Arrived!

When UPS arrived today, I was all smiles... :) Here's a few pics for ya!

Attachments

• CIMG0894.JPG
    CIMG0894.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 480
  • CIMG0896.JPG
    CIMG0896.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 475
  • CIMG0897.JPG
    CIMG0897.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 436
  • CIMG0898.JPG
    CIMG0898.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 463
  • CIMG0902.JPG
    CIMG0902.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 443
Some More Pics!

Enjoy

Attachments

• CIMG0899.JPG
    CIMG0899.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 381
  • CIMG0900.JPG
    CIMG0900.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 394
  • CIMG0901.JPG
    CIMG0901.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 431
  • CIMG0898.JPG
    CIMG0898.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 390
You guys take good pictures!

mpspringer, you going to try yours underwater also? :blink:

Happy_Hamer - Easy... Hopefully, I'll be staying away from water :) I've got FULL confidence in moleculo's underwater results!

Moleculo - thanks for the friendly shout out!

Its charging right now. It really amazes me how small and compact it is. They sure crammed ALOT of technology into this tiny package. I love the saying on the box too.. "TRIPLE-BAND HEAVY DUTY SUBMERSIBLE TRANSCEIVER" It just SOUNDS bad ass!

Why don't they call it a quad-band transceiver? My old HT only does 1W on 2m. 1.5W on 222 should qualify the band.

I want one so bad, just a bit expensive though. You guys are doing such a good review that I almost feel as though I have one.

I just got mine a few days ago. I take my test Sat. I am going for all three we'll see how far I go. Very nice HT, been doing quite a bit of monitoring getting the feel of it until I get my call sign to finally be able to transmit.

I just got mine a few days ago. I take my test Sat. I am going for all three we'll see how far I go. Very nice HT, been doing quite a bit of monitoring getting the feel of it until I get my call sign to finally be able to transmit.

Good luck on your test Gaucho! Im pretty much with you, just trying to understand the MANY options and study for my tech exam (end of this month). Let us know how your tests go!

Greetings,

I’m a new member on this forum and a beginner with Ham Radios. As such, please excuse me if I ask a newbie question. :) I look forward to learning as much as possible and actively contributing to this forum.

I am receiving the VX-8R today and looking forward to checkout all of the cool features.

You and me both my friend. (y) From what I have been reading here, we won't be disappointed with our new radios.

Welcome to the forum(y)

-=ben

Just a quick note on some thoughts that came to me the last few days of carrying this radio around.

Carrying it with the external mic is a pain. I've been doing that so I can use the GPS/APRS functionality. I'm going to get the gps attachment that allows you to plug the gps receiver right into the radio. I'll definately use the mic, but that way I only have to carry it when I actually want to use it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated