• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

Well, after careful consideration and reading lots of reviews I decided to buy this radio. Being a computer geek I wanted something I could really play with. The APRS feature looks like fun and I think it will be a blast playing with all the features this radio packs.

I ordered from HRO in Atlanta and I expect the radio to be here mid week. My call should make the database by the end of the week or the beginning of the next so this gives me plenty of time to read the manual and figure out how to make it work.

I look forward to my first call as a new ham on this awesome radio.

I have also used it for geocaching, and it works quite well for that. I had no issues finding the caches, so the GPS is fairly spot-on in my opinion.

So, you can program in waypoints and such to do geocaching? I didn't see that in the manual. How did you do that?

So, you can program in waypoints and such to do geocaching? I didn't see that in the manual. How did you do that?

I couldn't program in way points like with a traditional GPS; however, I was able to lookup the coordinates ahead of time, print them out and take them with me, then fairly easily maneuver to them using the current position on the GPS.

AGPS from VX-8R to VX-8R

I want to use the radio in some remote locations where there are no beacons around and was wondering if you can transmit the AGPS information directly from radio to radio?

Yes you can you just need to be on the national APRS frequency on all radios taking part.

I want to use the radio in some remote locations where there are no beacons around and was wondering if you can transmit the AGPS information directly from radio to radio?

Yes you can you just need to be on the national APRS frequency on all radios taking part.

This is part of the problem with APRS...there are dead spots. If other radios are set to relay your signal, they can...and eventually it might make it to a digipeater. If you're in a remote area, a little extra power could make a difference, too.

Mod time!

-Take out the battery.
-Under the battery is a heavy, thick plastic cover with very strong adhesive. Remove it using an XActo knife or a very small screwdriver that you can slip under it. This is the same cover you need to lift to install the Bluetooth option.
-To mod the radio for out of band TX, locate the only resistor visible on the board, just to the left of the bluetooth plug:
-All you have to do is carefully remove this resistor. I have a fine tip for my solder station for little work like this:

Hi,

Were you able to remove the resistor without removing any screws? (I mean after removing the adhesive cover all you had to do was unsoldering the resistor without the need to remove the circuit board out of the case right?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I am just about to mod mine but want to be sure about the exact procedure steps.

Hi,

Were you able to remove the resistor without removing any screws? (I mean after removing the adhesive cover all you had to do was unsoldering the resistor without the need to remove the circuit board out of the case right?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I am just about to mod mine but want to be sure about the exact procedure steps.

I had no problem removing the resistor with the PCB still in the radio... it was quick, touch the resistor with the soldering iron and it came right off.

Good luck! :D

moleculo Could i see a photo of the GPS screen on the VX-8R ?

Here you go:

moleculo-albums-yaesu-vx-8r-picture1094-gps-screen-1.jpg

moleculo-albums-yaesu-vx-8r-picture1095-gps-screen-2.jpg

Well I'm happy to say over two weeks ago i got the VX-8R and my call 4 days after the radio show up LOL. I love the VX-8R han hit the repeater about 50% of the time with the rubber duck but with the mag mount 100% no problem. moleculo thanks for the review of the radio . 73's new ham tec close to two weeks lol . CJ KJ4PIU

can the vx8 rx wideband properly?

I recently received the new Alinco H/H I was surprised to find that to have wideband rx it has to be modded. The specs state it covers 500kcs "old fashioned" to 1.5gigs. The shop modded it but it cannot rx between 230-380 mhz am. So back it went. Am considering the VX8 can this rx those frequencies.
Rgds
Chas
GM4WIE

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.