• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yagi in between V/H

MOGVZ, nice chart,

Gain was not the topic of discussion, the TOA and AOA is what allows the vertical at lower heights to perform.

Example, 102" steel vertical mobile antenna can work DX mounted to a vehicle only 1.5 meters above ground.

Try mounting a yagi at that same height and see how much of a cloud burner it will be??

Frequency DOES MAKE a difference in the discussion, as 40 meters damn sure propagates different than 11 meters.

if all frequencies propagated the same then the solar -terrestrial data A and K index numbers does not mean shit as to what bands are open?

I did not contradict myself, the yagi is quieter on receive if it is horizontal, no matter what height it is installed at, it does have gain on receive as posted, it is the TOA and AOA that makes the difference.

all I can say is , that is not my real world experiences,............. YMMV:rolleyes:

Agreed, everyone has their own experiences.
Not arguing by any means, in fact I agree that the horizontal dipole or yagi is the better all around antenna, as MOGVZ pointed out over a century of experience.

On the other hand if one can not install a dipole at 1/2 wl AGL , then the vert will work fine, in fact the dipole needs to be about 1 1/2 wl AGL to get the same TOA as the vert does at ground level,
OF course the dipole and Yagi has more gain, but then we are not discussing gain here.

Picture is worth a thousand words,

H.F. Antenna Analysis
Dr. John A. Allocca, WB2LUA, 2004

Comparison of 1/2 Wave Horizontal Dipole, Yagi, and Vertical Antennas - 7 MHz
 Horizontal dipole
 Horizontal Yagi
 Vertical Dipole
The horizontal dipole’s maximum gain (5.89 db) is obtained at 59 degrees.
The horizontal Yagi’s maximum gain (8.40 db) is obtained at 44 degrees.
The vertical’s maximum gain (0.24 db) is obtained at 16 degrees.
The horizontal dipole has the widest overall coverage.
The Yagi offers slightly more gain at slightly lower radiation angle than the horizontal dipole.
The vertical has more gain at lower radiation angles, excellent for long-range transmission.

upload_2016-1-10_18-25-41.png

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.