• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yaseu FT-101F how does this thing work??

missouri 69

Jun 14, 2005
missori
hi
I took this yaesu FT-101F rig in on a trade ...has original box & styrofoam inserts, original hand mic, original tubes, also had a laminated "quick tune up guide".... did NOT have an 11 meter crystal in it...so I put one in the aux slot.......

I do not know anythig about these rigs , so I printed the service manual out all 221 pages ....tried the rig out and seems to work great on all bands except 11 meters...on every other band I could get it to tune up to at least 50 watts...but on 11 meters it will only tune up to about 1/2 watt....maybe not even that...

I also have the TC-601B freq counter with it, I would be lost whithout that...LOL

Do you guys have any idea what I might be doing wrong???
I will not be keeping this rig but do not want to sell to someone if it is not working right...

any help would be appreciated..
thanks
sam
missouri 69

OK...couple of things:
First...if the driver and final tubes are OK...it should tune up to 100 watts or more on all bands. 50 watts indicates either that it is not being tuned properly or the finals are weak. If that's the case, it will need new finals and they will have to be neutralized by someone who knows what they are doing.

Secondly, I'm not sure you can transmit off the aux slot. It think that's for something like a WWV crystal. Usually, the 28a and 28b crystals are removed...the 11m crystal is put in the "a" slot and the 28a crystal in the "b" slot. Then the radio needs to be retuned (tanks for each slot need to be adjusted) for full output on the freq the new crystal covers.

That's just an overview, but hope it helps some.
preacherman

It should work on 11m with the proper crystal however remember that when you use the AUX position you also have to wire the band switch to supply the proper tap on the final output tank coil.This is because you can use the AUX position for a wide range of freqs. and you have to decide what band to use and provide the proper coil tap position to match it.On this radio the AUX position IS able to TX whereas some of the later models (and my Kenwood TS-820S) it is for RX only.

thanks QRN that is totally greek to me...
that may very well need to be done...I just need pictures on how to do it!!!

I do have two new final tubes for it but then I would have to nuetralize the.. something , and I have NO idea how to do that

I will probably just have to sell or trade this to someone....
I cannot seem to find some one in missouri to work on it..

later
sam

these transceivers were originally equipped with 6JS6C tubes manufactured by NEC. this tube's properties are slightly different from the 6JS6C (US or other) tubes available today from american tube manufacturers. by the way, don't bother looking for tubes made by NEC. they got out of the business several years ago. in order to use the "American" variety 6JS6's, a simple modification to the neutralization circuit must be made to the final section of the transceiver.

the modification consists of replacing the fixed value 100 pf 1000 VDC mica capacitor with a 10 pf 1000 VDC mica capacitor. this capacitor, C125, is in series with the 10 pf variable neutralizing capacitor off of the plate circuit. if this modification has not already been completed on your rig, be sure to use a mica or silver mica of at least 1000 VDC. do not substitute a different type, because the heat in the final compartment will change the value, and your tubes will fail prematurely. also, be very careful to keep all leads short and in exactly the same orientation as the original capacitor.

before reneutralizing, open the variable neutralizing capacitor all the way to minimum engagement and follow the neutralizing instructions in the manual. while dipping the plate, remember to adjust the neutralizing capacitor for equal value meter reading peaks (IC position) on both sides of the dip when tuning the "Plate" control.

if you're not seeing more than 50WPEP output on any of the working bands then the 6JS6's are most likely "flat" as well as the 12BY7/A driver tube. the low power output you mentioned with the 11 meter crystal in the aux position confirms QRN's statement of fact with regard to the untuned tap position.

if this is all greek to you and you're under the impression that all you need is some pictures you're in for some real disappointment.

i know a man who hails from missouri that rebuilds and refurbishes the FT101XX transceivers, if you would like further information you can contact me if you need any assistance towards that end.

if you know you have a good set of tubes (for a fact) then you're already ahead of the game. FYI, i've seen novices burn up new pairs of 6JS6's while attempting the neutralizing procedure and i don't recommend that route since replacement is expensive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.