• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

CW27S on the roof top it is!!! BTW... The (S) designation is for the spring.

I guess I will soon learn how much of a beating the antenna will take in the big city. LoL

Ed, thanks for sending the PDF on the Optima manual.

Robb, thanks for steering me back to the right path.

John

Last edited:
Yeticom Optima HM-36 mic help

I have the version with the 3 wires from the element, not successful yet for wiring for the optima, any help would be great. Thanks

I have the version with the 3 wires from the element, not successful yet for wiring for the optima, any help would be great. Thanks
Not sure to what you're referring? The HM-36 should be a direct replacement for the OPTIMA stock mic. Just unplug the stock mic, plug in the HM-36, and you should be good to go.

So it's been about 5 months since the last post on the Optima..

They are out of stock and I'm wondering, do you guys still like the radio??

How is it on AM for audio?

Regards,
Dave

So it's been about 5 months since the last post on the Optima..

They are out of stock and I'm wondering, do you guys still like the radio??

How is it on AM for audio?

Regards,
Dave
I use mine every day on 10M. Like it a lot. The only drawback is lack of 100Hz resolution like the 2510, but one can get around that. Superb on SSB. Replaced the stock mic with an Icom HM-36, which gives more audio. I now have to run the mic gain at the 3 o'clock position maximum or I will over drive the mic amp. It is OK on AM, but not a "screamer". I get good audio reports from the AM hams I work. Excellent on FM. It is, for all intents and purposes, quite a decent Ham rig.

Nice.....Thanks
Looks like they should be in stock soon..
I wonder how it compares to the 2510..
One of my favorites.
For years, the '2510 was my standard of comparison. The OPTIMA is somewhat similar in performance, except for the lack of 100Hz frequency resolution. It is a superb SSB performer, and a good AM performer. I understand that AM performance can be improved by increasing the AMC level, which I intend to do. I'll be doing that with a scope to make sure that I don't exceed 100%. (which should not be a problem, since the AMC is designed to limit at 100%). The OPTIMA covers 12M right out of the box, and has full repeater split capability. It also runs about 50W SSB. (I have no idea what that is in PEP? 50W PEP?) about 50W FM, and about 15W AM.

My '2510s now become "legacy" radios, relegated to stand-by use, or as a loaner radio.

I have some concerns about the RX-75 final brick which I believe is what is running in this radio.

I have read about several of these failing in the magnum 257 and also have known a few people that had them fail with a fan or without.

Some like them some don't as well as mixed reviews on the power output on them.

This is a pretty slick radio though for sure.

I have some concerns about the RX-75 final brick which I believe is what is running in this radio.

I have read about several of these failing in the magnum 257 and also have known a few people that had them fail with a fan or without.

Some like them some don't as well as mixed reviews on the power output on them.

This is a pretty slick radio though for sure.
While the OPTIMA may resemble the Magnum 257, it does not use the same RF deck. The OPTIMA does not use an RFX-75 RF deck, but uses it's own proprietary RF deck with an integral fan. It constantly runs cool, and has been trouble free (so far).

Failures of the RFX-75 RF deck are due to poor installation, poor assembly of the final mosfets (no heat sink compound) or other quality control issues. When the problems are addressed, the RF decks are reliable.

At $365.00 it is a premium price.

I haven't read a thread anywhere about someone complaining about the radio.

I was also thinking about a used kenwood ts-50 even though they are several years old now.

Just one of those things I have always wanted.

That was my thinking really, how much better is it than a 257HP that sells here for 200 to 210 brand new in the box and will do 70 to 80 watts, the Yenticom is a lot more money and does it really do anything the 257 doesn't?

Well I'm all for the excitement of a new decent radio but, when I think about how much time I will actually use it..

I had a used 257 offered to me for $100 even though it was the one without the RFX-75. It was a blue display dual final radio.

I'm not sure I can justify the premium cost.

Maybe..though (y)

Still love the ts-50..

The TS-50 is a fine rig. Just understand that the AM mode must be carefully adjusted for proper AM operation. It is a balance between modulation level and carrier level.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.