• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima, Icom HM-36 Mic

coldfusion

Aug 20, 2011
Hi, I have what I think is an old version of the HM-36, it has 3 wires coming from the element but has a red wire not a blue one for pin 6, anyone got a dummies guide to wiring the hm-36 for yeticom optima, need coulors to make easy for me please, understand the hm-36 is wired standard will work with the optima but mine does not. any help would be great, thank you.

I have the old made in Japan version of the Icom HM36 mic and it works just fine on my optima MK3. Didn't need to re wire anything. Not sure why yours isn't working. Should be plug and play.
Anyhow. I'll have to take mine apart to have a look at it and will take a couple pics. Give me a day as I am busy this week. But will get to it as soon as I can.

What's the HM-219 look like Mudfoot?? Haven't seen one of those. I would think if it's a electrec condenser mic with a 600 ohm element, it wouldn't sound bad. I could be way wrong though.

ico-hm-219_bk_xl.jpg
I just got one of the HM-219 mics last week, been using it on the optima and my other icom rigs and it is a great mic,, I would say a touch better than the original japan hm-36 mics,, at least there is a new mic other than the Chinese hm-36 versions,,,

all the japan HM-36 mics I have now already had the cotton taken out of the mic element hole,, for greater audio, and the HM-219 out of the box sounds just a good or slightly better than My HM-36's

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot and 222DBFL
I haven't removed the cotton from mine thankfully. I've left it as is!! Glad that this mic is better. May have to get one to try on my IC746. Thx for the info and pics guys!! Much appreciated.

I picked up a nice used IC-7200 recently. The PO had the stock HM-36 mic sent to Bob Nagy to have his mod performed. Everyone says the mic sounds very good, I might try it on my Optima later tonight. I sort of wished I had bought a IC-7300 instead.

Reactions: camaro1 and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.