• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

Looking for info on this radio. Anyone have the newest version of the Optima?
All of the videos I found are the MK2 or older. I also looked for threads on this forum and only found info on the MK2 or older version.
According to the website the radio has been improved from the previous MK2 version.
yeticomnz.com
I have a Yeti Optima MKIII

Nothing wrong with the radio that is for sure. I like the design and feature. I especially like the additional notch filtering that is user selectable!

I will say this the customer service was less than stellar when I asked some simple questions regarding the Optima MKIII vs the Dragon 485 I think it was. I was treated very rudely. That has nothing to do with the real people that designed and built this radio.

I do wish the people selling them would make important parts available so that they can be serviced in the feature. Some of us like to be able to maintain a radio in like new condition for it's life and replace things when they fail or wear out instead of just tossing it in the trash.

The face and controls are the weak link in this design just like it was with the Magnum 357. Six months of use it will look like it has been sandblasted the better yet they(rubber coated controls) will look like a puppy has chewed on them. Without the face plate, the radio is a boat anchor you can not just substitute analog pot's in place as these wear out or break because it is all digitally controlled.

I like the radio really I do I just wish they would make the face plate and controls from common "jelly bean" parts so the radio had some utility and durability to it. I like the continuous tunning. The power is great for its size more than is needed and it has a great set of features overall! Like all things though the devil is in the details.

I must have got a GOOD one, the face and all the controls look and work just as good as thay did the day I got the radio. The only thing I don't like is the low modulation and that was low the day I got the radio.Cant think of anything I don't like with this radio I,d take 2 if I had the $$$$$.

I have a Yeti Optima MKIII

Nothing wrong with the radio that is for sure. I like the design and feature. I especially like the additional notch filtering that is user selectable!

I will say this the customer service was less than stellar when I asked some simple questions regarding the Optima MKIII vs the Dragon 485 I think it was. I was treated very rudely. That has nothing to do with the real people that designed and built this radio.

I do wish the people selling them would make important parts available so that they can be serviced in the feature. Some of us like to be able to maintain a radio in like new condition for it's life and replace things when they fail or wear out instead of just tossing it in the trash.

The face and controls are the weak link in this design just like it was with the Magnum 357. Six months of use it will look like it has been sandblasted the better yet they(rubber coated controls) will look like a puppy has chewed on them. Without the face plate, the radio is a boat anchor you can not just substitute analog pot's in place as these wear out or break because it is all digitally controlled.

I like the radio really I do I just wish they would make the face plate and controls from common "jelly bean" parts so the radio had some utility and durability to it. I like the continuous tunning. The power is great for its size more than is needed and it has a great set of features overall! Like all things though the devil is in the details.
Let me know if you need a parts radio to spiff yours up and send it down the road.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.