• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

I'm having ssb problems with my optima. If I deadkey on ssb, no watts. If I speak it swings straight to 60 watts and stays there even if I quit speaking and turn the mic gain all the way down. It should swing with input, correct? It acts right on am, and I tried 2 different mics too. Any ideas?

what meter?? did you try it with another radio, does the radio meter also show that the radio is staying "keyed"/dead key on ssb, or does the radio meter bounce like it should on ssb

Weird. Works on AM, but SSB has issue. Is it direct from Yeticomm? If so, try giving an email to them. If not, maybe try lowering the power some on SSB. Say to 40-50 watts PEP. See if it changes. And also is this into a dummy load? Or antenna?
Sorry for all the questions. Just weird issue I guess. Have never heard of this one on the optima MK3.

Weird. Works on AM, but SSB has issue. Is it direct from Yeticomm? If so, try giving an email to them. If not, maybe try lowering the power some on SSB. Say to 40-50 watts PEP. See if it changes. And also is this into a dummy load? Or antenna?
Sorry for all the questions. Just weird issue I guess. Have never heard of this one on the optima MK3.
I bought it from coldfrontsales on ebay. I am testing into an antenna, because I haven't built a dummy load yet.
If I turn the power all the way down it has no output. If I key and slowly turn the power up it will swing straight to full power when the knob gets to 1 o'clock.

I bought it from coldfrontsales on ebay. I am testing into an antenna, because I haven't built a dummy load yet.
If I turn the power all the way down it has no output. If I key and slowly turn the power up it will swing straight to full power when the knob gets to 1 o'clock.
If you got it from coldfront odds are it NEEDS to be gone through and the "meter" is a "happy" one too. A lot of Funny rigs out of cold front.....JMI

If you got it from coldfront odds are it NEEDS to be gone through and the "meter" is a "happy" one too. A lot of Funny rigs out of cold front.....JMI
Do you mean that they are bad from china? I'm pretty sure coldfrontsales doesn't tune them. I would assume that the optimas come from China with a sealed case, and coldfrontsales didn't put the seals on. I could be wrong though.

Do you mean that they are bad from china? I'm pretty sure coldfrontsales doesn't tune them. I would assume that the optimas come from China with a sealed case, and coldfrontsales didn't put the seals on. I could be wrong though.
I don't know if there seconds or firsts, all I know is I got two of them from cold front, the "meters" told me EVERYONE was "+9" and the mics needed to be worked. The clar. one one unit was off a bit, and bouth had to be opened to "open up"(export mode) but thats ok as they were getting opened for alignment.
I think there good but from Yeticom they came right. Coldfront.....well it's just another radio.
I'd say buy it you want it, it is easy to fix up right.

replace the driver..driver is going into self oscillation replace with 2sc2166

cold-front do not put seals on as far as i am aware ..
the seals on their ones are factory ones..yeticom has it own seals

yes meter is "happy from factory..i turn them down to 4 bars with a s9 signal (73dbm@50 ohms)
Much appreciated (y). The problem seems to be intermittent, and possibly related to the amp. I suppose I will replace the driver and see what happens. Thanks

I've had 2 the first design then I bought the third design using it for a base radio and I love it I've had a lot of 10 11 meter and I mean a lot and the Optima is the best by far for what it was intended for. Sure a ham radio might and I mean might on the low end like under 1000,00 but the best bang for the buck is the Optima.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.