• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MkIII with a Uniden BC906W wireless mic?

btu44

Nov 6, 2013
I have an Optima in my 4x4 and thought this wireless mic would be cool at the campsite.

I would need to make an adapter but being kind of new at this I'm not sure about a few things.

Here is what I've figured out so far:

Optima mic pinout

Pin 1 - Mic Input
Pin 2 - +8VDC
Pin 3 - Freq Up/Dn
Pin 4 - NC
Pin 5 - PTT
Pin 6 - GND (PTT)
Pin 7- GND (MIC)
Pin 8 - NC

Here is the Uniden 980 mic pinout I found in this thread:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/uniden-980-ssb-ranger-sra-117a-echo-mic.150422/
I can't tell if the OP had success with his project so I'm not sure if this pin out is correct, but it all I have to go off of.

Pin 1 - Modulation
Pin 2 - Rx
Pin 3 - Tx
Pin 4 - Audio from the receiver
Pin 5 - Common
Pin 6 - 7.88 volts + with radio on, 8.00 volts during Tx

Here is how I would make the adapter:

Optima Pin 1 > BC906 Pin 1
Pin 2 > Pin 6
Pin 3 > NC
Pin 4 > Pin 4
Pin 5 > ?
Pin 6 > Pin 6

Inside the Optima I would connect receiver audio to mic connector pin 4

If someone would answer these questions or even an educated guess would be appreciated.

On the BC906, which pin is PTT?

On the BC906, is the 'audio from receiver' full audio out level to the speaker or a preamp level in the mVolts?

What are pins 2 & 3 doing on the BC906?

Thanks for the help.

While they are decent mics, I don't know how good the audio will be with the optima and the wireless mic. I've used these mics and they are clean and clear, the mic hole needs to be drilled out a bit, and the speaker in the mic isn't the greatest for communications as its so small. I am speaking of the uniden r wireless mic. Search around on eBay and you might find a wireless mic for an icom radio with an 8 pin connector like the optima mk3. There are other wireless mics out that seem to be better than the uniden. Just saw a post about this somewhere. If you already have the uniden mic, use it, if not, look around as there are other mics that have better range and audio from what I have seen. I have the uniden wireless mic and its okay. Just some food for thought.

Glad to here your experience with the BC907 mic. Maybe it is not the best idea. If I make an error connecting the receiver audio and kill the Optima, there's no fixing it.
I looked at the ZOXN ZX-777 but the frequency it operates on maybe a problem. I have not found any others.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.