• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

You know you are a geek/nerd etc... when

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
As I am leaving my A&P mechanic friends pole barn I spot a partial spool of hot pink wire......Oh wait for it gets good.....So I try playing ignorant and do the hey "What you going to do with that partial spool of hot pink wire????" inthe corner. He looks at me and does the " Nice Try I am keeping that" so I pull the old " You do not want pink wire that is for sissy's!" ........He did not fall for it.... It was about 250feet of #4 copper wire Teflon jacketed....I did not ask if it was silver or nickel plated....... so he pulls the " Ya right like have not known you since flight school I know darn well you know that is some expensive #4 teflon jacketed high voltage, high temp mil-spec left over's......

No I was not going to con my friend either I was just hopping if I did not look too interested he would part with it..... The more other people want what he has the less likely he is to sell it you.....LOL It does not matter if he will die before he ever use's he just like having what other people want....LOL

I have never seen Silver or Nickel plated copper wire with teflon jacket in that size. It has to be fairly rare outside of wiring for Fighter Jets and such.....

HIs pole barn is a Mil-Surplus Aviation wiring scrap grave yard.....LOL One problem though is that I do not have a High Pot tester and a lot of the wire is not on the spool or the data sheet is missing so you do not know if it is is 600V,1000V, 3000Vor 30KV.......

I would feel better if I had the means to test the wire before I used it. Strand count's and such are all over the place.

You know you are a nerd or geek though when shopping for wire can keep you entertained for hour's!!!!LOL

One thing I learned long ago is that Mil-Spec does not follow NEC codes and such you can have 2 different 16ga wires and one will be 600V rated and the other might be 5000V rated depending on the what the military specified.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.