• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

your favorite CB myth , lies and legends .

I think I talked to that guy a while back, TX'ing 700hz off frequency and he complains I am off freq even when I change my TX freq to match his. I am talking on a Kenwood and I got a counter, hes on a Galaxy go figure.
Funny shit was several other stations whom were part of the QSO were also, 700hz off. Its worse than trying to heard cats, especially when jackass like him is leader of the heard.

I does make me laugh... that is why I am modding my TRC-458 to have an external TX freq clarifier that is not connected to the RX... so if I ever run into these type of people again... I think they all have their radios done by the same local 'RADIO TECH' :confused:

I get that all the time and they always had their radios aligned by a great truck stop tech.

I'm a kenwood fan too.

I think the issue is that these 'techs' just either do not know, or do not have proper equipment... I can and do work on radios... but you will never hear me claim to be a 'tech'... I am simply a hobbyist, I just happen to enjoy working on radios. It keeps me busy and helps to pay for the hobby.

There is another guy out here that is a 'RADIO TECH'... I will not say his name... he 'repairs' radios in the Kansas City Area... He seems to think that clipping diodes and turning everything to the right is 'good quality radio work'...

Many locals have had radios stop functioning shortly after he fixed them... or he would claim the radios are junk and offer to buy them (cheaply) for parts :eek:

the best part is every one that has a radio done by this guy always says the same thing... "Your radio is WAY out of tune... you need to get that checked out"

Last edited:
having a rig aligned means squat especially a cb ( galaxy lmao )
its not possible to have a cb or most hf sets aligned and be spot on except once as it warms up and once as it cools down, they are all off ALWAYS, some more than others,
it may be nice to have that warm fuzzy im on frequency feeling of contentment but its just an illusion

any tech telling you they can put you spot on is pulling your todger,
thats why i say clarifiers should be unlocked and the op learn how to tune correctly.

P1000461.jpg

thank you... there is this local guy that is on 38L, almost every night and he always says... "My equipment is dead on frequency... you need to have your stuff checked out..."

never mind that mine is aligned... and his is a galaxy

Here is one I heard the other night that made me laugh.....

You need to go to Walmart and buy some more SWRs for your radio...or even better, I got some over here I can sell you,CHEAP!!!

My all-time favorite CB myth would undoubtedly have to be Shakespeare's claim of over 12 dB gain from their ABS-1600 vertical.

Having said that, I'm not 'bashing' them (as I currently run the ABS-1600 and have been for over 10 years w/o fail). I'm merely stating that their claimed gain figures were IMPOSSIBLE for a 5/8 lambda omnidirectional vertical monopole.

IMPOSSIBLE.

I regularly cook hot dogs by skewering them on my 102" whip, and keying up my 148 GTL, with a 200 watt linear.

Possum fat on the antenna, any antenna, doubles your modulation.

I'm not sure if this quote a myth,lie,legend or just plain ignorance

fortymobile, on 15 October 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:
From all the test i do switching back and forth between the to is 1/2 or 1 s .....i would say it will whoop the snot out of a 3 element all day long i don't care what the propagation is but it will give a 4 element a run for its money... i have a guy 1 1/2 miles from me on a 3 and this antenna whoops him all day long and he has never got past my gainmaster...

id suspect there was something really wrong with the install of the coax or beams , or they are really low behind big trees/structures . IMO making magical claims about a antenna doesn't do it any favors in the long run .

The skip really rolls in on cloudy days...

That one makes me laugh, because when my nephew was living with me,(he was not a radio guy) he said he noticed the skip always rolled on cloudy days. I explained to him that it didn't work that way. But most of the time, he was right. lol

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.