• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your guys favorite fiberglass antenna choices

only fibreglass antenna i liked was original 7ft firestick, dx27 wasn't too bad either, never tried francis amazer but heard good things about them. i tended to stick to avanti av261m and later sirio hp 4000, two superb antennas.

I run a modded 4' Wilson Silverload (like the one that died on you?) on a 4 magnet mount with a ground wire over to the AM/FM antenna mount.
I removed the original black shrink wrap and all the wire except for enough to go around the shaft about 3-4 times on it's way from the base to the top piece, then I installed a trimmed Wilson 1000 whip in the top piece until I had a 1/4 wave, and it's the best I've used so far on 10m, 11m and 12m mobile behind my Ameritron ALS-500M.
I had to wrap 2 layers of solid copper 14ga around the top piece and solder it to strengthen it.
It's lighter, and stays more upright at 75mph, than a stainless steel whip and doesn't seem to care much at all when I strike a branch or low overhanging roof structure.
I added shrink tubing to cover the bottom 4' of fiberglass.
Best overall RF and physical performance I've had, and is surprisingly broad banded.
Try it, you might like it.

Wilson Silver load and Skipshooter. Both great antennas. I have a 4.5 ft and 7 ft Skipshooter and a 4 ft and 5 ft Silver Load Wilson. All are great, imo.

Used a 6’ Skipshooter and it was a very good antenna. Sounded great even in a bracket on the rear end of my runner. Made some nice and far contacts! Not as good a my Sirio 5k but a damn fine one.

Used a 6’ Skipshooter and it was a very good antenna. Sounded great even in a bracket on the rear end of my runner. Made some nice and far contacts! Not as good a my Sirio 5k but a damn fine one.
My 6 foot Skipshooter iced up last winter one day and it made moves side to side that were unreal! Definitely a strong antenna.

JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.