• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YOUR Opinion On Free-Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you ask me every band should be a FREEband, radio was not conceived to be used by the elite or to be used to make outrageous sums from licensing.

yet another invention intended for the publics safety ripped off to make money for corrupt governments, f@ck them, i'll tx wherever i want and the only thing i will acknowledge and avoid is emergency comms ( the only legitimate reason for domineering any frequency in my eyes).

as for an earlier comment that most freebanders are ignorant of amateur radio, i think you'll find that not to be the case, they just ain't that impressed by it and why should they be, its amateur by name and in most cases by nature too.

as for those who flout the rules being lids, pmsl, those who obey rules are sheep, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.RULES ARE FOR LOSERS.

"...used by the elite or to be used to make outrageous sums from licensing."... Really??

I'm afraid I don't see that 'elite' thingy, or a $1.50 per year as being very 'outrageous'! I guess that's just a matter of view point or attitude.
As for the 'rules' thing, those 'rules' are also for your benefit. Guess that's just a matter of view point or attitude too. Oh well.
- 'Doc

...there is no freeband; it is the empty lot between two buildings that squatters have moved onto.

I agree with you in part. Technically, there is no 'freeband'. However, those frequencies are not an 'empty lot'. Just because you don't hear activity on them when you tune to them doesn't mean they are 'free' to use. A lot of those frequencies are licensed and allocated to government, military and business.

:pop:

if you ask me every band should be a FREEband, radio was not conceived to be used by the elite or to be used to make outrageous sums from licensing.

Methinks you ought to go back and research early wireless history. Marconi and others sought to monetize their new inventions from the very start. Soon after government got into the act as well. What the US federal government failed to do was sew up all use of wireless spectrum for itself and commercial interests early on. To their surprise a group of hobbyists sprang up and began building their own stations, often times much more advanced than government or commercial stations, purely for the love of the state of the art.

That continued until the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and the enactment of the famous Radio Law of 1912 that summer. Amateurs were required to register with the US Dept. of Commerce in December 1912 and pass certain exams and obtain a license. From that point on private access to the spectrum was regulated and nearly prohibited immediately after WWI. New technologies and changing attitudes toward the spectrum gradually led the authorities to relax the regulations and allow more spectrum access by individuals over the decades until today where there are wide swaths of spectrum allocated for unlicensed private use.

Monetizing the spectrum was the intention from the get-go. Fortunately, the first amateurs threw a monkey wrench into that idea.

One important part missing is Marconi was sure shortwave was useless.
Since it was deemed useless, experimenters were allowed to play there.
Had Marconi realized the utility of higher frequencies there would not have been hobbiest radio.

Methinks you ought to go back and research early wireless history. Marconi and others sought to monetize their new inventions from the very start. Soon after government got into the act as well. What the US federal government failed to do was sew up all use of wireless spectrum for itself and commercial interests early on. To their surprise a group of hobbyists sprang up and began building their own stations, often times much more advanced than government or commercial stations, purely for the love of the state of the art.

That continued until the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and the enactment of the famous Radio Law of 1912 that summer. Amateurs were required to register with the US Dept. of Commerce in December 1912 and pass certain exams and obtain a license. From that point on private access to the spectrum was regulated and nearly prohibited immediately after WWI. New technologies and changing attitudes toward the spectrum gradually led the authorities to relax the regulations and allow more spectrum access by individuals over the decades until today where there are wide swaths of spectrum allocated for unlicensed private use.

Monetizing the spectrum was the intention from the get-go. Fortunately, the first amateurs threw a monkey wrench into that idea.

"...used by the elite or to be used to make outrageous sums from licensing."... Really??

I'm afraid I don't see that 'elite' thingy, or a $1.50 per year as being very 'outrageous'! I guess that's just a matter of view point or attitude.
As for the 'rules' thing, those 'rules' are also for your benefit. Guess that's just a matter of view point or attitude too. Oh well.
- 'Doc

which rule exactly benefits me? all rules and laws are made to benefit the upper classes of society, so please explain me just one rule/law thats for my benefit?

the elite i was referring too was global corporations, and i'm pretty damn sure they don't pay $1.50 a year.

i think your comprehension of the term elite is very misguided, i'm assuming by your $1.50 that you think amateurs are elite,pmsl. i certainly don't.

incidentally i don't think marconi was the guy who invented radio, i think that honour should go to tesla, seeing as he holds the first radio patent (unless of course the us supreme court got that wrong), and he definately wasn't in it for the money, which is why most of his inventions were stolen by your government and are still guarded to this day for uses that were far from tesla's original intentions.

without Scotland's james clerk maxwells predictions, none of them would have been any the wiser.

the trouble with history is its only ever told from one sides perspective.

yet another invention intended for the publics safety ripped off to make money for corrupt governments, f@ck them, i'll tx wherever i want and the only thing i will acknowledge and avoid is emergency comms ( the only legitimate reason for domineering any frequency in my eyes).

as for an earlier comment that most freebanders are ignorant of amateur radio, i think you'll find that not to be the case, they just ain't that impressed by it and why should they be, its amateur by name and in most cases by nature too.

as for those who flout the rules being lids, pmsl, those who obey rules are sheep, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.RULES ARE FOR LOSERS.

That post sums up you and your attitude pretty good George. It's all about YOU and what YOU want and fuck anybody else. I won't even to begin to talk about the anarchy that would result from what you think should happen and you know it would. I contest that rules are for losers and suggest that it is losers that don't follow rules that are put in place to maintain order in the radio spectrum. I just had to say something as I am getting tired of all your anti-this and anti-that rants. It must be a sad world you live. Nothing seems to please you. Flame away, I could care less. This post is all about ME and what I believe and FUCK anyone else. That attitude works for you so why not me? (y)

That post sums up you and your attitude pretty good George. It's all about YOU and what YOU want and fuck anybody else. I won't even to begin to talk about the anarchy that would result from what you think should happen and you know it would. I contest that rules are for losers and suggest that it is losers that don't follow rules that are put in place to maintain order in the radio spectrum. I just had to say something as I am getting tired of all your anti-this and anti-that rants. It must be a sad world you live. Nothing seems to please you. Flame away, I could care less. This post is all about ME and what I believe and FUCK anyone else. That attitude works for you so why not me? (y)

My attitude isn't any secret Garth, i think all governments are arseholes who are only interested in themselves, so if i learned my attitude anywhere blame governments (english ones in particular).

Anarchy is long overdue in this world, it might thin out some of those pretentious arseholes and the greedy bankers, it's no coincidence banker rhymes with wanker.

My personnal world is anything but sad, i've never been happier in my life, but it doesn't stop me seeing the things that are wrong in this world.

I'm sure my attitude would work well for you, it certainly works for me, self belief is the only belief worth having.

the point of doing what you want, or more particularly as you put it, what i want, i consider that freedom, not the slavery governments would have us live under. for years i did what others wanted and it got me fucking nowhere, now its my turn to do what i want,long overdue.

there is plenty in life that pleases me, but rules will never be one of them, nor will elitism, or any other ism for that matter, i don't do prejudice, i treat everyone equally, no doubt you will say equally badly, but hey, its still equality. if you knew half the things i've had to fight for in my life then you might understand my attitude, but you don't Garth, so you never will understand where i come from, but plenty of people do as they have suffered things similar too and worse than i've suffered, opinion is all about relating, when people can relate to your opinion they understand, if they can't they won't, you have to suffer to appreciate how much others suffer, a sad but true fact.

order in the radio spectrum, you want to explain that to british telecom and other multi nationals polluting the spectrum far worse than my 2.5 khz of audio ever will,no matter where i choose to transmit it, the irony is i was busted by the same fucktards (british telecom) who now freely and uninterrupted by the rules that they openly flout cause spectrum pollution on a scale never before sen via plt,and the so called powers that be do fuck all to stop it, because lets face it bt are lining their pockets, so if thats pissed me off somewhat (like all hypocrisy does) then i'm guilty as charged.

like i say rules are for losers if your daft enough to obey them, because those who make them flout them daily, you know the rules like drugs are illegal, despite the fact the cia is the main importer into the states.

don't even get me started on law, in my country the police are a plc, the courts are a plc (i doubt very much your country or the usa are any different) and their only aim is to please their investors, hence all the fines they come out with for stuff that should never be illegal anyway, its all about making MONEY £$ , but if your happy with that scenario, who am i to bust your bubble?

Me i say what i think, i don't expect to please everyone, but when i see something rotten to the core, then i will definately project my fuck them attitude towards them.

I agree with you in part. Technically, there is no 'freeband'. However, those frequencies are not an 'empty lot'. Just because you don't hear activity on them when you tune to them doesn't mean they are 'free' to use. A lot of those frequencies are licensed and allocated to government, military and business.

:pop:

It was an analogy, and all analogies break down somewhere along the way. it was a point being made that there can be no freeband if there are no allocations as there are no vacant lots if there were no filled lots. Yes, there are some places where there are not so obvious allocations assumed to be free/unallocated, and there are some places where there a no allocations as well.

None of what I've written is an opinion, just a statement I thought pertinent. My first post on the thread was the only opinion I've offered so far, and that is, people have opinions.

Last edited:
in my opinion this thread was started to turn cb'er against ham,i won't get into that, if it wasn't i apologise, but after reluctantly not saying anything for many pages i felt it was time to defend the actions of many thousands of freebanders the world over, are we all self centred? i don't think so, and remember this, many thousands of those freebanders are licensed hams too, infact few i've ever spoke to weren't. so they obviously don't agree with rules either.

Last edited:
Radio transmissions are regulated on a world-wide basis by International treaty and agreements. This is so as radio transmissions do not stop at country borders. Many times I wish they did....but they don't. This factor plus countrie's internal radio spectrum usage to provide vital and efficient communications for official usage such as government, military, aviation and public safety.

Civil society must have rules of conduct while civilization is growing and progressing as there are still with us individuals who do not or can not "behave themselves" and act in the mutual best interest of everyone. {treat others as you would like to be treated}

Yes, the government which governs best is the one that governs least, but as described in the above paragraph, that scenario can ONLY function if everyone is governing THEMSELVES, respecting everyone else's rights and property, and the brotherhood of man is functioning in full flower.

We have a long way to go in this arena but it is our evolutionary destiny. One day, man WILL realize that we are truly "all in the same boat" and will behave and act in the best interest of themselves and their fellows worldwide.

At that time, there will not be much government at all as far as regulation of "criminal" activity. When everyone is "regulating themselves," criminal law will evaporate from the pages of human history. It will be wholly obsolete and unnecessary. Everyone will have learned to naturally love "doing the right thing" and civilization marches ahead towards an actual utopian society. Imagine no offensive armies or police forces or prisons. One day these will all be gone.

This era in human civilization is still a long way off. But take heart! Civilization continues its long forward march and evolution continues apace. Are we not better off then things were 1,000 years ago? 2,000 years ago? 5,000 years ago? Surely we are.

With radio regulations, some are more important than others and our government here in the U.S. recognizes this. Some CB radio regulations seem frivolous and hence the CB Service was mostly de-regulated in 1977 and there is scant little enforcement unless some outrageous assholes really push the limits and cause problems. Mostly CBer's and freebanders are left alone to do their hobby talking because they just aren't really bothering anybody to any important extent.

Now go and have fun with radios and try and keep your panties out of a big wad. And that's an order....and you better listen to me.....I mean it this time !! :D

As long as the freebanders don't interfere with others, I really don't care what they do.

i have to Agree on that.

i may have a icom ,but i donot FREEBAND.
RX rarely TX
its the same thing with locals here running kajillian wattage on there base speaking in spanish with echo and slamming the 12/11/10m bands (massive bleed over) that is uncalled for.... ruins it for those who enjoy radio.
if you really are eager to talk outside of the freeland (CB) than get your license. simple

the point of doing what you want, or more particularly as you put it, what i want, i consider that freedom

Fine JS, if you are personally self-sustaining and are out living alone on a deserted island.... then go for it. Do your own thing and answer to no man or government. But methinks this "freedom" you speak of is an illusion in your tortured mind.

As long as you are around others and depending on others to grow or produce your food, generate your electricity, produce and transport the goods to the stores you go out and get, protect you from the criminals and hostile governments around you and your country, weave the clothes you're wearing today....then you must learn to cooperate. Because you are not an island living unto yourself.

Just the facts ma'am. We know you don't like them, but you must learn to adapt and cooperate or else you will become a pitiful and hopeless 'summabitch of benefit to nothing. And that is sad.

"You make me sad"

King Author to the Woodland Knight, Monty Python ~ Holy Grail

Hell, that's been happening long before this thread...

Now lets get back to topic

Mr. Peddler....FOG Administrator ?

Alright !! Onward through the fog !

Attachments

• 96817070.jpg
    96817070.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 202
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.