• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Zenith g500 weak reception

Tennangler

Jan 15, 2023
I was given a Zenith trans-oceanic model G500. Chassis is 5G40.
It receives local stations on the AM band but not much else. The volume has a fluddering sound. Also , the middle tone switches make a squeeling noise when turned on.
I have deoxed the switches and volume knob. I would like to get cleaner and stronger reception. Any suggestion on where to start? Thanks.

Gargle is your friend. Found this:
https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/Zn_G500.htm

Any radio from 1949 will have tubular paper caps and electrolytic caps that have deteriorated from age alone and have to be updated. The condition of the tubes is also a part of the picture. Even if the mileage is low, a 74 year-old radio will almost certainly have multiple issues to address. Pretty sure this model contains the infamous "1L6" tube that nobody sells.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?