• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Zero Five 11 meters

Yep. A 1/2 electrically tuned coax jumper for set freq of whatever you want it to be, most likely 27.205, and keep the antenna away from any obstructions or direct connect or as close as possible. Not 3ft coax either. 6-12" max. Anything other then what is listed above will skew your readings. Been down this road, promise. Took me a minute to get it, but once you do, you'll see the light!! Don't give up yet though man!!!

Well I went ahead and took it down, like you said" needed some fresh air.I'll try it again, The only thing that was really bugging me was the wire tap, was told not to touch it as it was set and to leave it alone, but going buy my reading something was off, so for 4 days I was adjusting the length and the capacitor.My Will was being tested, I gave up and took the wire tap apart and started moving it around the ring, and holy jesus! It was at R=70-80 before, now its right at 50 and now need to tune it the rest just a tad....No instructions for this antenna so of course I email him, and was told don't touch the wire tap.I love this hobby but this antenna almost got me wondering, is it me? or is it this damn antenna. In short it was the wire tap this whole time..Thanks for letting me rant a little

Reactions: Needle Bender
No worries man! Glad you found the issue!! Sometimes it takes just stepping back, take a deep breath, and start over! Keep at it and let us know how it turns out!

I don't know if it's still possible, but I'd like to know the length of the radiator from the point where the matching network connects, to the top, including the length of any top hat elements.
Glad you've got it in the ballpark, I also hate to see people toss ca$h in the trash!

In the description it shows 21.75ft for the element height NB. Here is the actual specs of the antenna. I tnink this is the one. Hope this helps some. I know you want more than this, but it is something to work with at any rate.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 13
In the description it shows 21.75ft for the element height NB. Here is the actual specs of the antenna. I tnink this is the one. Hope this helps some. I know you want more than this, but it is something to work with at any rate.
Yeah I saw that but wonder how much isn't part of the radiating surface due to being below the connection point.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Well it's up and running.Let me start by saying, My mfj259 was apparently on vacation the many times I tried to fine tune the Zero 5 antenna, it was way off and giving me the dumbest readings, almost to the point of me picking up the bottle again..So with that said, a buddy of mine had the same 259b, but he had is sent in for recalibration..took me 7 minutes to tune the antenna after that.....I'm almost thinking it was tuned the way it should've when the builder sent it or even close, just had to fine tune.. but to get to the point, I know the transmit of this antenna is stronger, the receive on the other hand is the same as a macov5000

Glad you got is resolved. Are you happy with the quality and performance of the antenna? If so, that is all that matters.

Glad you got is resolved. Are you happy with the quality and performance of the antenna? If so, that is all that matters.
yeah the quality is next to none, but what really gets me is how the TX part of it is almost 1 1/2 S unit over the v5000...Just kinda wished the RX end was like that, almost think the v5000 has a slight better RX..Gotta be a trade off somewhere I guess. But really happy with it now that I found my analyzer to be faulty

If I'm not mistaking, I think Marconi might have asked me about the 259b being outa whack, but I overlooked it

They are both at the same height at the feedpoint? Also do you get more ground noise with the zero five. Just wrapping my head around the Receive part not being as good as TX, which also remeber largely has to do with receiving stations. It might be that your Maco is more in line with the person you are getting your radio reports from than the Zero Five antenna. Not saying this is the issue, but look around your yard and surrounding area to see if your Zero Five or Maco antenna is more in line with your locals and which has the least obstructions to deal with. I'm curious now as to why such the gain in TX side and almost a loss per say on the rx side. Lots of possibilities! That is for sure. Well hope you might can get the RX issue resolved, but 1.5 s-summit gain is pretty darn good man!! How far is this local? And what do you normally give him for signal? Also what type radio is he using for receive?? Just curious man? Like I said, glad you got it resolved.
As for your MFJ meter, check the center pin of the n-female I make sure it's not mushroomed out. Also buy a new adapter and some good batteries for it.
Every once in a while the local sprint/Radio Shack store have a sale on batts and you get some great deals!! They are made by Duracell or Energizer, can't remeber at the moment, at any rate, if your MFJ meter is that messed up and it is going to cost a bit to send it and have it repaired, just get a rig expert AA-30 or similar. About same as the the new MFJ225 or 226. JMHO. But look into getting it fixed first. Might just be a broken solder joint or something. Pop the lid and have a quick look. At any rate, hope you can get the RX side of the antenna as good as the TX side.

Yeah the T.x side is stronger, but the RX is the same as the v5000...I can live with that.It's well built and can't wait to see how it takes some power

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.