• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

Your assumptions are wrong.

Just a guess, but I could see something like this happening. When electronics are imported, the importer has to file a certification with the FCC that the product is either certified or that it doesn't need certification. Amateur radios don't need certification. The FCC has already said that it considers Amateur radios that can be modified externally or by flipping an internal jumper to work on CB to be CB radios. Thus, if an importer brings in an Amateur radio that can be programmed to work on CB without even opening the case, he is making a false statement when he says the radio doesn't need to be certified. That is smuggling and that is a long time in jail.

the simple fix it to make one with just a vfo. no channel selector, rci could make the 2950 and 70 legit by just losing the ch1-40 set ability. just run a vfo and you avoid the law completely.

or maybe cutting a green wire like ameritron does to make their amps 11 .. ummm i mean 10 meter capable (y)

Your assumptions are wrong.

Just a guess, but I could see something like this happening. When electronics are imported, the importer has to file a certification with the FCC that the product is either certified or that it doesn't need certification. Amateur radios don't need certification. The FCC has already said that it considers Amateur radios that can be modified externally or by flipping an internal jumper to work on CB to be CB radios. Thus, if an importer brings in an Amateur radio that can be programmed to work on CB without even opening the case, he is making a false statement when he says the radio doesn't need to be certified. That is smuggling and that is a long time in jail.

i accept my assumptions could be/are wrong.

one thing i'm not wrong on is Ranger RCI make their money from cloning Uniden pb010 boards and updating with modern components to replace no longer available components used on the pb010 boards, mitsubishi final, ta7310p instead of discrete transistor oscillators and updated regulator circuit taken from the Uniden pc999 dual final board. Make no mistake Magnum,Northstar and many others also took this very same cloning path to success,

so my question is a simple one:

how did you as Ranger RCI's legal representitive manage to avoid your arse getting dragged into court by Unidens legal team on copyright. No-one, not even you can deny all modern export radios are Uniden pb010 clones, if you want to answer by pm to avoid legal issues, fair enough,i will then drop it for ever, if not i'll keep asking as i have before, because it seems strange to me how you representing your company can threaten others with what appears that your company is also guilty off, where i come from we call it hypocrisy, i realise lawyers have different terms for it ;)

If infact as i suspect there is a connection between Uniden,its subcontracters and Ranger RCI, how did it transpire that cloning is rife but convictions for breaching copyright are thin on the ground (i do realise the far east isn't the same on copyright as here and if its just simply a case that there was no copyright ever held by Uniden and Ranger have incorporated some of Unidens old subcontracters then i can grasp that).

as for the issues of the big three or four if you include alinco, having easier to modify radios than the cb/10m manufacturers, again its a no brainer, as much as modern exports are obviously clones, then modern ham radios for the most part are a doddle to modify,

the president jackson for instance you have to unlock power restrictions,modify the kc shift and activate the +10khz, connect all the disconnected (but supplied) band wiring, to do ts50 if i recal you snip a diode. it don't take Albert Einstein to work out which is easier and quicker, fuck the ts50 is easier than half the external keypress, radios as are many yaesu's/icoms.the fcc are kidding themselves on if they think that isn't the case.

there is blatant favouritism towards amateur manufacturers who bend the laws more so than cb manufacturers, on their radios all the other pirate bands are opened up too, not just 11m,AND THEY KNOW IT. but then cb manufacturers don't supply militaries,police and other government departments, amateur manufacturers do, is that why they've got away with it so long and why there is such an obvious double standard?

Stevie Wonder could see all this a mile away.

Uniden has no copyright on the circuit board design. You can't copyright a function, only the artistic expression or appearance. Also, you cannot sue for copyright infringement unless the copyright is registered. Uniden has never registered any copyright on the PCB layout.

Uniden has no copyright on the circuit board design. You can't copyright a function, only the artistic expression or appearance. Also, you cannot sue for copyright infringement unless the copyright is registered. Uniden has never registered any copyright on the PCB layout.

thank you very much, i'm sure in this one post you have answered thousands of peoples different questions, it was all i wanted to know, as you are the one with the legal authority for Ranger RCI, i have absolutely no doubt what you say is 100% true, and may explain why Uniden America and Uniden Australia refused to answer the same question. they must feel stupid for never registering the pcb layout that was light years ahead of its time and has brought many others substantial financial rewards since.

p.s. i love Ranger clones as much as the Uniden originals, i know most of the story about export ssb sets, but that was the bit i couldn't figure, was there coercion, a buy out or were Uniden too naive to think anyone else could do it as well or better, so they didn't bother copyrighting, huge fucking mistake from my non legal, average joe on the street viewpoint.

i appreciate you taking the time to tell me.

ALL THIS BS OVER A PIECE OF JUNK RADIO MADE CHING CHONG BOLLY WONG....
it's making meh hungery !

Patent and copyright protection wasn't that big a deal when these radios were designed. People didn't really start filing patents and copyrights on everything possible until about 20 years ago. Before that, people didn't realize how valuable patents and copyrights could be.

thank you very much, i'm sure in this one post you have answered thousands of peoples different questions, it was all i wanted to know, as you are the one with the legal authority for Ranger RCI, i have absolutely no doubt what you say is 100% true, and may explain why Uniden America and Uniden Australia refused to answer the same question. they must feel stupid for never registering the pcb layout that was light years ahead of its time and has brought many others substantial financial rewards since.

p.s. i love Ranger clones as much as the Uniden originals, i know most of the story about export ssb sets, but that was the bit i couldn't figure, was there coercion, a buy out or were Uniden too naive to think anyone else could do it as well or better, so they didn't bother copyrighting, huge fucking mistake from my non legal, average joe on the street viewpoint.

i appreciate you taking the time to tell me.

Patent and copyright protection wasn't that big a deal when these radios were designed. People didn't really start filing patents and copyrights on everything possible until about 20 years ago. Before that, people didn't realize how valuable patents and copyrights could be.

i didn't realise that, i thought most big companies then were doing it, like avanti did. i appreciate you filling in the gaps for me, it was one day i was reading everything about RCI'S battles with the fcc, i thought it strange they had never battled uniden,

i know many contracters are used by bigger companies in the far east,like nissei for yaesu etc, so i wrongly assumed RCI had bought rights from Uniden or just bought over their contracters,the incorporated of RCI gave me that notion, i had also thought there was a possibility Uniden hadn't patented/copyrighted their radios, but it wasn't my first choice as i didn't think they'd be that dumb, taking into account they were running rings around legislation worldwide,

maybe that was more Cobra's doing than Unidens who had supplied their 148 gtl dx model, which as we all know is the benchmark for all modern radios of that kind, and here in the uk the most legendary 11m radio ever built, although i know for a fact Uniden were still producing that model after they severed ties with Cobra, as i have a uniden built one from 1991 with a pb010 board in it, but philippines not Taiwan R.O.C built, must have been around then Ranger produced the first ept3600 variant,possibly for dirland in france and for their home market, at that time 10m monobanders were still illegal to sell here so we had to import them from france or the republic of ireland.i believe around then President france was C.S.I and possibly also one of the early importers of RCI clones before they started dealing exclusivly with Uniden under the President label in France and Stabo in Germany.

anyway you've filled in most of the void for me, for that i thank you. i asked you months ago in another post but you didn't answer, which made me think there was more to it than just Uniden failing to protect their design, they must be kicking themselves, i bet they didnt make that mistake on later boards, you don't see many pb042 clones.Uniden not answering just made me more curious.

3900's and pb010's are the staple diet of my ssb arsenal on 11, they rarely let you down, perform well and are easy to service, despite what many say, the difference between them is minimal, i believe the slight extra drift on the ept3600 chassis may be down to the oscillators using crystals with a slightly different load capacitance than what uniden originally used but once tuned and warmed, i challenge anyone to tell the difference on air.
i love my 3900 eghp, its got more bling than Mr T, i really need to get the astatic flag mike for it, bling to the max,lol.

be lucky Shioda, especially in your dealings with the fcc, like our ofcom they are corrupt to the core and their only interest in radio is making money and waging war with it, not what i think it was intended for.

Reactions: 1 person
Well guys i got to lay my hands on that CRE 8900 SSB at Key CB and i must say i like it!! The small size would make a perfect fit for someone in a newer vehicle. The reciever is very sensitive but kinda noisy at the same time.. It has lots of cool features and i had fun playing with it. And i forgot to take my camera with me.. But one thing i will say is the price does seem a tad high considering what else is out there.

So the stock mike on the CRE 8900 just picks up too much road noise and after testing out a bunch of microphones I found the Road Devil D104 was a great match, no road noise, punchier than the stock mike and a lot less bassy.

Only problem was the microphone had a audio delay when keying, added a resistor on the mike board from ground to audio and it solved the delay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.