• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mr Coily's Base Enforcer Antenna

I just know by what my Browning Mark 4A receive meter and all the people out around here locally have been telling me.

Also, I put the Imax back up and people are telling me my signal is lower, it was from a 7 DB swinging 8DB to a 5 swinging 6 on the Imax.

Also, one person was waiting for the new antenna to go up. I religiously hit hit at 7 S units with 4 watts dead key on the Imax/GPK or Maco at 25'. The coily enforcer was easily replaced on the same mast at 25' tall and it now hits the same person at 9 db at 4 watts dead key. Its all about efficientcy! The Imax has a double wound coil which acts as a resistor, look at this link for some more info: !www.bighairantennas.com/BigHairsAntennasversuscompetitors.html

One thing I dont hear is tons of static! Nice and Quiet! I am sitting here right now listening to Ch 28 AM and with the IMAX at this time of day it would be crazy noisy, but now it sounds like I am listening to the Flat side or something!

Ok, i just read your link comparing 2 different fiberglass
antennas. I can't comment as i only owned A-99-Imaxs.
Did you put up an Enforcer or another type of fiberglass
antenna???

RoadWarrior said:
Ok, i just read your link comparing 2 different fiberglass
antennas. I can't comment as i only owned A-99-Imaxs.
Did you put up an Enforcer or another type of fiberglass
antenna???

The link was just a reference to the innerards of the Imax and how lossy it is compared to a I10K or Enforcer type of antenna.

I have tried the A-99 W/GPK and IMAX 2000 W/GPK here with the enforcer in my comparisons. The enforcer is about 2 db's better over the Imax and roughly about 3 db's over the A-99. I used to think the A99 was "Bad AZZ" years ago. I would like to try the I10K but dont know anyone with one and I dont ahve the loot to get one to test. I bought the Coily for the reason of very fast turn around and lower TVI possibilties and higher output/receive possibilties. Thanks in advance.

I understand the concept of coil Q and the effect that can have when used in an antenna design. I also saw a noticeable difference between an Imax 2000 and an Interceptor 10K when I compared the two.

My question was on the useage of the terms being thrown around. The S-meter expresses signal strength in S Units, NOT dB. You cannot use the two terms interchangeably. 1 S-Unit gain is approximately 6dB gain. What I was trying to understand was which measurement was intended in the posts.

BTW, the difference between the Imax 2000 and either the Coily base or the I-10K has nothing to do with the fiberglass over wire design. Using aluminum or wire as the main element is an issue of structure or power handling capability only (although at higher frequency ranges it would have an effect on how broadbanded the antenna is). What makes the real performance difference between these antennas is the matching systems and design of the elevated ground plane radials.

Reactions: Skypperman
RoadWarrior said:
I have also found that to be true about the Imax
2000 i owned.
Metal is better in my book.

My statement above was about the static noise
difference between my Imax 2000 and my I-10K
and some other metal antennas i have owned.
Since your s-meter jumped from 7 to 9 when switching
to your Enforcer, i take it as a 2 S-unit increase.
Glad you like your new antenna! Happy Dx-ing and
all that good stuff.

Moleculo said:
I understand the concept of coil Q and the effect that can have when used in an antenna design. I also saw a noticeable difference between an Imax 2000 and an Interceptor 10K when I compared the two.

My question was on the useage of the terms being thrown around. The S-meter expresses signal strength in S Units, NOT dB. You cannot use the two terms interchangeably. 1 S-Unit gain is approximately 6dB gain. What I was trying to understand was which measurement was intended in the posts.

BTW, the difference between the Imax 2000 and either the Coily base or the I-10K has nothing to do with the fiberglass over wire design. Using aluminum or wire as the main element is an issue of structure or power handling capability only (although at higher frequency ranges it would have an effect on how broadbanded the antenna is). What makes the real performance difference between these antennas is the matching systems and design of the elevated ground plane radials.

Moleculo,

I thought 1 S-unit was a 3db increase. So, its a 6db increase
for 1 S-unit. Is this correct? Thanks

that's correct. the problem however is that it doesn't quite work out that way using the conventional s meters in the equipment that we use. at the lower end of the scale below S9 you will see considerably less than 6db. per S-Unit while from S9 and up the scale reads more in line with the established standard. it's not unusual to see a small increase of 1 - 2 db. drive the meter an entire S-Unit higher at the bottom end of the scale. this anomaly doesn't disappear in high end amateur gear either.

I religiously hit hit at 7 S units with 4 watts dead key on the Imax/GPK or Maco at 25'. The coily enforcer was easily replaced on the same mast at 25' tall and it now hits the same person at 9 db at 4 watts dead key. Its all about efficientcy!

Thats sounds about inline with what others have also shown when changing over to the Enforcer,,,its fairly clear to me apples and oranges on db reading to others..if you were hitting him a 7 sunits or db units, like my Galaxy 2527 shows and says db and now your hitting him at 9 sunits or db units i would take that as a 2 sunit/db or pound reading increase! I remeber when you were purchasing you told me you had a list of reading and reports to compare it to and make me sweat it a little :roll: it looks like it's doing as designed 1.5-2 sunits or db gain On your many test bases your getting your reports from...Just like turning a kicker on!!As far as making it taller not needed it is tuned for 1.1.1 and 51-52 ohms X= 2 Thanks 960 for the flowers i don't see anything unclear on this end it works 1.5-2 db better...I have 4-5 customer reports on my web page and when your report is ready i will add it also,,anyway enjoy that extra 2db/sunits of dx punch...Thanks again....www.mrcoily.com
Tell your freinds it is a little bit of an actual investment but for 1.5-2 units increase better than buying a kicker to make up the differance,,and if you ever decide to throw down the big cash for the Excalibur antenna it has a lifetime warranty Nobody else does that.Also remeber if you have any problem with it ever i am just a phone call away, and i am always and will be here to help....Thanks.........Dan

Quick question, are you noticing any significant increase in signal over the enforcer with the excalibur antenna? Or is it the point of diminishing return but higher power handling, lifetime warranty and incredible durability?? Just wondering, I might be tempted.....:)

Coily,

We are having KICK AZZ DX Skip conditions right now.
We had 4 straight hours of intense skip from here to Altanta, GA. I tested the Enforcer with 4 watts and then quickly went back on the roof and put the Imax 2K/GPK back up and came back. I did this test two times (sweated my azz off in the process). The consensus I noticed was the enforcer hit DX easier, harder and kept the signal there longer. It is sometimes hard to tell obviously with conditions, but I always had to run my Cobra XL350 on the mid setting with the Imax to be heard. When I switch to the beams flat side I can be heard all day long on 4 watts, but the enforcer is letting me talk DX on vertical side with 4 watts a hell of alot easier than the Imax ever did. This is what I notice here and I have never received these type of results in my 20 years on the CB.

Thanks Roadwarrior, I think you have the I10K and I know that beats the Imax out too no doubt. Two awesome antennas by two awesome guys. Its so great to have people making us better products for this hobby. They are well deserved!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.