• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reputable CB Shops/Techs

That's great news, I'm sorry you lost a chunk of coin in the process though.
Really though, there are some good techs out there that can get that radio going.

Seems the guy you sent it to was just a guessing parts swapper.
Yeah I'm done with him, all the waiting and no updates would take days to answer I think he got in over his head with this one! He did finally send it back but I had to threaten him to get it. I'd be willing to bet I could get my money back If I sold it with complete truth about it! I'm going to miss it. It's going to be antique like me in a few more years

That guy deserves a mail box full of magazine subscriptions at the very least....
That's a great idea, but magazines as a thing are on life support up here in Canada, and probably down there in the U.S. too.
A huge number have either folded completely or have gone online only. You might have a hard time finding enough to fill the mailbox !

That's a great idea, but magazines as a thing are on life support up here in Canada, and probably down there in the U.S. too.
A huge number have either folded completely or have gone online only. You might have a hard time finding enough to fill the mailbox !
Well I told him if he would please send it back I would back off of the negative talk. Did I tell you I have a cousin who is a driver? Well he goes through there once or twice a month. He said to just chill about it and he'll go through there and get his radio fixed

Reactions: Eldorado828
Love the pic on google maps. Not what I had pictured in my mind at all. :ROFLMAO: Heck, for all we know it could be home to the best tech in the business.

My favorite is Working Man's CB Repair in Amarillo.
Reminds me of the old Merle Haggard hit, Working Man Blues. Or Dylan's Working Man Blues #2. :)
A really old post but Sherry at Working man cb in Amarillo passed away in 2021 so that shop is no more. Take that one off the list.
RIP Sherry Cagle, super nice woman and the wife of a UPS teamsters driver that used radio on a daily.

Reactions: codeman and Keto
Off topic, gunsmiths in similar situation. My favorite gunsmith opened his doors for his shop in the 1970s. Fearing the day I find out that he's working on the old lathe in the sky. He is an engineer that used to work for NASA at one time. He's one of the type that uses the theory, I could not find the part I needed so
I made one for you. A big thumbs up to the radio men and gunsmiths of yesterday who could build a device and not just swap out parts.

I thought the amp was on the belly, it has a big Toshiba in the back. Cool!
It is for sure a Cadillac. I have the one with 2 toshiba 2290's on the belly, its the 95T. Both are real nice radios on SSB TX and RX.
I did Robb's drift mods to it and replaced the X3 crystal with a 14.460. I like it even more now as the warm up time and drift is greatly reduced.
Both have the Ranger 690010C board. The 98VHP has the D version board but with mosfets on the drive and belly amp which I don't like.
Its definitely a keeper radio. The 93T, 95T, 2517 all share the same nice quality board.
The only radio I ever sent out in my life was to Chris at Superior CB 6 years ago, due to parts needed that cost more individually to buy, was a Magnum S9 which had the amp on the bottom but prior to my purchase was removed so a lot of SMD parts were missing in the final section, and one modulator SMD IC that was bad which cost a fortune. It needed more parts to run without the amp on the bottom. Anyways they did a great job of it and it cost me $80 shipped back.

Do you know if he replaced the the 2sc2312 transistor on the amp board too? Did he send your old parts that he claimed were bad back to you? like the 2sc2290 final?

Please post a picture of the final section in the back so we can see what he did.

Most likely not your problem but I found this on the galaxy symptoms and cure data base and if it was posted there that means there are many 93T's with this issue.
SymptomSSB TX distortion and low SSB power.
No bias voltage on 2SC2290 Q2.
CureFound R9 on RF AMP PCB (EPAC05010B) not
soldered on both sides. Location of R9 can be
found here, https://cbtricks.org/radios/galaxy/dx93t/dx93t_rf_amp_pcb.htm
Posted ByGalaxy Tech Support
*****R9 is a zero ohm resistor that acts as a jumper*****

Last edited:
It is for sure a Cadillac. I have the one with 2 toshiba 2290's on the belly, its the 95T. Both are real nice radios on SSB TX and RX.
I did Robb's drift mods to it and replaced the X3 crystal with a 14.460. I like it even more now as the warm up time and drift is greatly reduced.
Both have the Ranger 690010C board. The 98VHP has the D version board but with mosfets on the drive and belly amp which I don't like.
Its definitely a keeper radio. The 93T, 95T, 2517 all share the same nice quality board.
The only radio I ever sent out in my life was to Chris at Superior CB 6 years ago, due to parts needed that cost more individually to buy, was a Magnum S9 which had the amp on the bottom but prior to my purchase was removed so a lot of SMD parts were missing in the final section, and one modulator SMD IC that was bad which cost a fortune. It needed more parts to run without the amp on the bottom. Anyways they did a great job of it and it cost me $80 shipped back.

Do you know if he replaced the the 2sc2312 transistor on the amp board too? Did he send your old parts that he claimed were bad back to you? like the 2sc2290 final?

Please post a picture of the final section in the back so we can see what he did.

Most likely not your problem but I found this on the galaxy symptoms and cure data base and if it was posted there that means there are many 93T's with this issue.
*****R9 is a zero ohm resistor that acts as a jumper*****
I've got 2 95t2's one I bought used and the other is a galaxy refurb. Never have tried them on ssb though, I assumed they'd drift like a sailboat. May have to break one out and give it a try one of there days.

I'll probably part with them both though, it's time to get rid of some radios....

The only thing I wish they did better on the 95T's is to have 2 fans on the bottom amp.
Yes the drift was horrible on SSB especially once the 2290's got hot which goes against letting the rig warm up 1 hour and tune it. Yeah right.
I am a firm believer that the NPO caps and 1% resistors did a good job and reduced warm up time to around 10 minutes, but I also think the new X3 crystal plays a major part in the drift that was caused by the original crystal with amp heat.
I was considering adding one fan to the rear heatsink since the back of the heatsink has an opening to the inside of the radio. Have a look see. I have not got around to doing or deciding if I even should as it is very stable now.

Edit: Forgot to add I also replaced the 8 volt regulator, a 2SA1869 with a TIP42C

The galaxy drift fix post page by @Robb. Same reference numbers as the 95T. Its just that some parts are moved in different orientations.

Last edited:

*****R9 is a zero ohm resistor that acts as a jumper
Thanks for the info!No he didn't send anything not even a report of what was done, He SAID he replaced the 2sc2290 charged me $125 for parts unknown? He won't be civil about it so I can't get anything out of him. Like you said, this has been a great SSB rig. I'll post some pics shortly bro!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.