• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

speech compression on ssb

IMO, I am not a real big fan of speech compression on SSB, as it tends to make the modulation sound flat, bassy, and "muddy" sounding, even when I adjusted mine properly. Most of the people in the SSB club I am in doesn't like speech compression either for the above reasons.

I have a Magnum 257 mosfet version that got many complaints about the flat, muddy audio on SSB. Turns out it had the CP-1 installed in it, so I removed it. After I removed it, people said it was a night and day difference, my audio got brighter, crisper, easier to listen to.

I understand that it's not for everyone (like me), so I'm just going to say that some people don't like how it sounds on the air. PROPERLY ADJUSTED though, they definitely provide that extra "punch" through noise and traffic. Just my .02 worth. :)

~Cheers~

IMO, I am not a real big fan of speech compression on SSB, as it tends to make the modulation sound flat, bassy, and "muddy" sounding, even when I adjusted mine properly. Most of the people in the SSB club I am in doesn't like speech compression either for the above reasons.

I have a Magnum 257 mosfet version that got many complaints about the flat, muddy audio on SSB. Turns out it had the CP-1 installed in it, so I removed it. After I removed it, people said it was a night and day difference, my audio got brighter, crisper, easier to listen to.

I understand that it's not for everyone (like me), so I'm just going to say that some people don't like how it sounds on the air. PROPERLY ADJUSTED though, they definitely provide that extra "punch" through noise and traffic. Just my .02 worth. :)

~Cheers~

I don't want much compression,just enough bring the lows up a bit. I'm still curious though what a 47K ohm resistor with the CP-1 does for effect? Maybe I can email them.
I haven't made up my mind yet to install it. That's why I asked you guys. Thanks.
Look at the print on the CP-1 envelope that came stapled with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
They suffer the same problem the cheap CB echo boards do. Limited bandwidth. That's why as long as the board is inline you won't have any high end crispness because the treble is gone and replaced with mud.

You can buy an inexpensive compressor / limiter for broadcast radio use that will pass 20 to 15,000 cycles and sound leaps and bounds better than the cheap CB ones that pass 300 to 2500 cycles. No thought is given to fidelity on the CB board while it's the primary concern on the broadcast ones.

Agreed Shockwave, and on SSB it's even worse, because of the fact that your bandwidth on SSB is MUCH more narrow than it is on AM and FM.

That being said, you're never going to get anywhere near the fidelity on SSB as you would on AM or FM for that reason alone. Even if you were to get a commercial broadcast grade compressor/limiter and pipe it into the radio, you'd probably have the same audio sound, because of the limited bandwidth of SSB.

~Cheers~

You want the radio to be the limiting factor in bandwidth and not the compressor. If you notice it rolls off the high end on SSB by sounding muddy, the compressor board has less bandwidth than the SSB radio. While devices placed inline that limit bandwidth are most noticeable on wider modes like AM or FM, if they reduce the bandwidth enough you can hear it on SSB too.

Compressors and processors are not really for ragchews anyway. They are more for punching thru the crowd and making the contact. Interesting that people find them muddy. My experiance, at least on the ham bands, has been tbe opposite. Sharp and piercing with punch and lacking in bassy richnes.

BTW I will take the RF speech processor in my 30 year old Kenwood TS-820S any day of the week over the audio processor in my FT-857D. No contest which is better. Sometimes new is not better but just different.

Reactions: 2 people
Processors in HF rigs are quite a bit better than things like the SP-1. They make sure they don't roll off the high end so it sounds high in tone and cuts through. RF processing has advantages over AF processing but it also only works in one mode, SSB. Where AF processing can be used in all voice modes. Processors are typically run more aggressive than compressor / limiter circuits but it all depends on how hard you drive the clipper for the level of compression.

Clipper

I agree with how hard you drive your clipper.
I sent Top Gun an email asking about that 47K ohm resistor they've included with the CP-1
My 959 works beautifully. I was thinking about getting away from using a power mic with it and use a little bit of compression.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 30
the top gun only works on am anyways. [at least in my magnum]
the sp-1 speech processor works in both
id forget about the top gun all together especially since you said for ssb .
id take the sp-1 speech processor and radio to DTB who did the work
orignally and have him install it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.