• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

½ wave dipole height

EricExtreme

American Eagle 813
Feb 20, 2006
North Conway, NH
www.extremeradio.us
I am erecting a ½ wave dipole for 11 meters. I am curious as to what height off the ground will offer optimum performance? I have a 140ft long dipole for 70cm - 160 meters amateur radio and the optimal height was over 100 feet up in the air between two trees on opposite sides of my property. What would the optimal height be for an 11 meter ½ wave dipole? Thanks!

I've always read 1/2 λ minimally. Along with that reading comes a lowering angle on the horizon as a full λ is met. Best I recall is 15 and 10 degrees; and, the width to 1/2 power was 40 and 25d, respectively. The lowest angle on the horizon is met at just shy of 2 λ AGL at an unremarkable 8d.

There is loads of info on the internet available showing radiation patterns of a dipole at different heights Above Ground Level. No myths or "I've always heard", but real info. Much more helpful.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.