• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1 Radio - 2 Automobiles

CyberRider

Aug 21, 2018
Guys, what the best way to use one radio between two vehicles?

Most of the time the CB will be in my 94 Toyota 4x4. But when the family goes on road trips we drive the 06 4Runner and I'll want CB capability at that time. Advice? Tips?

What are you planning to use for the radio?

A simple 520? Not the best for between the seats but it'll work, just can't guarantee to offer any length of time before it dies from being squeezed to death between the seats and the front panel to board side trace solder mounts finally gave up.

You pretty much want to stick with a basic 4-function radio.

There's basic and then there is simple - Basic? Its' a Volume/Power and Squelch - not too glamorous.

Simple is a little more - knobs and switches - things like, Noise blanker and ANL and some have WX functions, but mostly I look at RF gain and better Squelch control to offer better options than - say a Dynamike or Mic gain - although you'll get it with it anyways...

But here's the best part of the simpler ones - if you don't mind branding - Cobra, Galaxy and Uniden offer radios with front panels WIRED as in hot wire versus flat panel side trace front panel mounts - try a 78, 68 or Cobra 25 or 29 or even Galaxy 929 - but again too big in size - width X depth sort of stuff - for the seats, usually means someone gets bumped into or by the radio and it can get tedious...

Why wired versus soldered panel traces? Durability - don't want the thing to fail when you need it most because then you're back to having nothing and more lost opportunities in using the radio to make your trip a better one. At least the wires can hold up a little better with the vibration and torque the slipseating you may have to use the radio in - bouncing is another .

Which I have to pose this back to you...you mention 4WD and SUV style trucks - so are you thinking in-dash or simple hump mounts?

Hump mounts are harder to find - mostly on-line stores and they are not the best in pics of it as showing how much real estate the darn thing takes up on the vehciles' interior let alone the ability to mount the radio - how big can you go?

Tacoma is one thing, S10 is another then there is the Excruciating Excursions - just looking at it consumes fuel...

Back to you...
:+> Andy <+:

I would buy another radio. Run just a basic radio like the cobra 19 in the vehicle you drive the least and keep the better radio in your 4X4.
I'm considering this.

I'll sell you a second radio.
Thanks, but your picture doesn't instill trust. :)

What are you planning to use for the radio?
Uniden Pro 520XL in my truck. Not sure which one for the 4Runner. First, I gotta see how much space I got and where I can install it.

A simple 520? Not the best for between the seats...
I probably won't put it between the seats. I appreciate the CB advice!

...so are you thinking in-dash or simple hump mounts?
Probably won't do in-dash. Well, maybe in my truck, but not the 4Runner.

...how big can you go?
I'll find out soon. First, I'm gonna install in my truck then pursue the 4Runner install.

I would agree to just get another radio. Any great solution will probably cost more than you can get a new radio for, if you just want simple AM CB operation. I find old radios in decent condition at yard sales, auctions, swap meets, etc. all the time for $5 a piece.

Reactions: sunbulls
I need to frequent the yard sales you visit then, most I go to look at you like you’re crazy if you ask about a CB or even a ham radio. The local amateur club is only selling boat anchors. I am lucky enough to find decent condition ROHN 25 tower sections on the cheap though.

I personally would pick up a second radio, my truck and my backup truck have radios, as does the wife’s Tahoe. We’re getting her another vehicle as a backup and it too will have a radio.

I don't ask for them. I just see them. On top of that, people have heard that I will buy old radios and they bring them to me. I'll give a couple dollars for just about any old CB. If they are worth more, I'll pay more, but for just your average, run of the mill AM only CB, $2 - $5 is all I offer, and if anyone initially turns me down, they usually come back and take it. Once, at an auction, I ran into an old Cobra 29 with an amp and frequency counter. I paid $15 for it, and it ended up working.

I made a Bug Out system out of one of those things that holds 4 Plano trays for small objects ( just a rack w/ a handle ). I used the trays for something else but mounted my Cobra 140 GTL and 250 King Bee and a scanner in it . All connected with Anderson connectors , I move it from vehicle to vehicle or use as a base if needed .It also has an SWR meter and an external speaker attached . Works for me . jmo

Over the years I probably have collected enough mobile radios to support every active member on here . A lot of cheap 40 channel stuff , but why do I hold on to these Lafayette 40 ch SSB's ?Time for a yard sale !:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.