• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 element Maco yagi

GunSlinger338

Feb 26, 2006
Around Tha Dome
I had planned on running a Omni above my flat M107 for the local stuff ,,
But the more I think about it ... it would be nice to have a little more GIT OUT on the vertical side.

What do you antenna gurus think about my plan to add 3 vertical elements to my M107

I will have the antenna down for my Hairpin match modification soon , so i figure I will try this out also

from a structural standpoint . I Think .. the boom should be fine with just a few extra elements.Any more and i would think a lagre boom might be needed...

Anyway .. just somthing i was dreaming up the other day

would look pretty CooL !!!!!!!!

Any input is welcome

3verts.jpg

Gunslinger,

No replies so I will try to give some input.

I suggest to put the reflector at the 1st director location of the horizontal yagi, this will put most of the weight at the center of the boom and even it out weight wise.

Maco makes a four element (I think still first cup of coffee here) with the vertical and horizontal elements as you are looking at doing.

The vertical will not interfere with the horizontal and will work great, just wear out your rotor twisting it around all the time for local talking.

It is nice to have that gain though.

Last edited:
Ought'a work! Bound to be some 'glitch' or two with it, but I have no idea what it/they might be.
I doubt if the additional weight would be a big problem, but you might think about re-positioning the mast just a little further to the rear from where it is now. Or closer to the balance point.
Feeding the two from the same feed point/matching device will really be a 'trick'! Good luck with that. Certainly possible though. I think I'd think about a separate feed line just for grins.
It should be interesting how it turns out. I'd like to know in case I might try it some time.
- 'Doc

Leave the mast pole where it is. Just add a little extra weight
to the light end of the boom. I usually insert a piece of pipe (thinwall) into the boom to balance the antenna. I know some folks who have used PVC also.

There's a number of ways to do this depending on what you are willing to put up with.

All the vertical elements on one side of the mast will torque the rotor when the wind blows.

Some elements on either side will indroduce the vertical mast's interaction and influence tuning and gain. On VHF it can completely ruin the pattern. On H.F. many people work around this problem.

If it were me I'd beef up the boom guying with 2 top guys supported from a second 4' boom with its axis 90 degrees away from the main about 3 feet up the mast. The extra mast could be made from heavy duty fiberglass like a pool cleaner pole. The original top guy can be moved to the bottom of the boom to keep everything stiff.

Once you jump through this hoop you should have enough strength to mount another 7 elements vertically:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.