• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter FM Simplex

Road Squawker

Jan 19, 2011
I don't normally do FM simplex on 10 meters, but,.... today 10 is really open to the West coast from TN.

LOTS of activity on 29.600<More audio>

and plenty of bandwidth between the repeater splits is not being used.

I'm in Alabama and was talking simplex to a friend about 10 miles away somewhere between 28.300 and 28.350. We got on 29.600 for a minute and both spoke to someone in Arizona on FM. The band has really been open for the past week or so.

Below 29.6 you must go narrow band FM setting on your radio per FCC rules..
There is no rule prohibiting FM in the 28.3 up segment as long as you hold a General class or higher.
The 29.6 FM is a preferred band plan area same as AM at about 29 but can run AM below that as well.
You will not be popular to some but it's legal.
Good luck.

There is no rule prohibiting FM in the 28.3 up segment as long as you hold a General class or higher.
The 29.6 FM is a preferred band plan area same as AM at about 29 but can run AM below that as well.
Good luck.

Modulation index has to be no greater than 1 at the highest modulation frequency. With narrow band FM that's an easier standard, but I still hear WAY overdeviated stations.

. We got on 29.600 for a minute and both spoke to someone in Arizona on FM. The band has really been open for the past week or so.

Yikes! You do need a chart.

10 MetersNovice and Technician, Technician Plus classes:

28.000-28.300 MHz: CW, RTTY/Data--Maximum power 200 watts PEP

28.300-28.500 MHz: CW, Phone--Maximum power 200 watts PEP

FM 29 Mhz

Good luck.

Actually 5khz deviation is legal above 29.000 Mhz Below 29.000 Mhz is where you must reduce to the narrow setting typically 2.5 Khz or less

Good luck.

Jeez! now I'm confused. Are you saying as a Ham Tech I must be in FM mode in 10m below 29.000? I thought it was USB AM 29.300-29.500 mhz.

Jeez! now I'm confused. Are you saying as a Ham Tech I must be in FM mode in 10m below 29.000? I thought it was USB AM 29.300-29.500 mhz.

no, he is saying that as a TECH, you do not have any FM or AM phone priv's at all,....

a TECH can operate from 28.000 - 28.500, but, the only phone privs a TECH has is from 28.300-28.500 USB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated