• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Meter Noise

Nursecosmo

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin Northwoods
For the past week or so, I have suddenly started getting some crazy loud static on 29.600MHZ, which is the 10meter FM calling frequency. It is so loud that I can't squelch it even with the knob turned all the way up. If I tune 5Kc to either side, I get an easily squelchable noise floor. The static doesn't seem to be anything local, because I have driven 50 miles in either direction from home and the high noise persists. Occasionally, I can hear some traffic, but the only really clear CQ I have heard was about a week ago from Texas. He couldn't hear me back though.
My radio is a Yaesu FT-8900 mounted in Ram truck, with a Diamond CR-8900 antenna.
Does anyone have a clue about why I'm getting the noise on the calling frequency?

Is it just static or is it a type of man made noise? Do you hear any other vehicle noise like ignition noise? When was the last time you changed your plugs in the truck? When my plugs get worn, the engine ignition noise gets worse in my jeep.

If it's man made, it could also be a 2nd or 3rd order harmonic from a radar or some other type of RF signal on a lower frequency. I've actually experienced this. If you have another HF rig, try dialing to 14.8 or 9.86 and see if you hear a similar noise.

Thanks for the replies. I don't believe in spark plugs, I don't have an electric fuel pump, and it has the static whether the engine is on or off. This evening The interference is gone. Go figure. I was kind of thinking myself that maybe there could be some sort of interference from radar. The things is, that if getting interference from radar, I would think that it would be constant. Weirdness huh?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio