• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 to 40 long wire ant

snow bird

Sep 28, 2017
I am trying to buld a long wire ant. Can you put the Grown end or outher have .over a tin roof ? I am wanting to use the roof of my home for part of the dipole and use the outher have over a car port that has a tin roof the house has a Single roof can get it about 30 ft off the earth have a lot of sand for earth .

Well I am going to try to mount a long wire on the house about 10. ft over a shingle roof. know that will work just was not sure about putting part of it over a tin roof?

Reactions: binrat
I am late to this, but an old Elmer once told me “do the best you can with what you have”. The worst antenna you can make strung through bushes in your backyard 4 feet off the ground is better than the best antenna you don’t have.

I have built several antennas and strung them everywhere I could short of around my cats neck. Built em out of coax, old extension cord, speaker wire, electrical conduit, and whatever else I could scrounge up. I went through a period in my life where I became fascinated with antenna builds, and went bezerk making new and different designs. Every single one of them was a success at varying degrees. I learned a lot as I went and slowly improved.

In situations where I was sure something would (and should have) worked, gave mediocre results, and other times something that “should have been” too close to my metal roof or to the ground gave me surprisingly great results.

Right now, due to lack of room and budget constraints, I am talking on an inverted V dipole on 40 meter that I built in an hour from scrap parts, the feedpoint is only 30 feet up, and the ends almost touching the earth.. (even the Dacron I used was pulled from an old project that’s how broke I am). Last night I made contacts in England, Maine, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas, plus a few other places. From Southern Illinois.

I finally concluded that when the DX is good and propagation is timed right, you can tie a teaspoon on a piece of coax and cast it across your neighbors peach tree and talk the world on 100 watts.

I am late to this, but an old Elmer once told me “do the best you can with what you have”. The worst antenna you can make strung through bushes in your backyard 4 feet off the ground is better than the best antenna you don’t have.

I have built several antennas and strung them everywhere I could short of around my cats neck. Built em out of coax, old extension cord, speaker wire, electrical conduit, and whatever else I could scrounge up. I went through a period in my life where I became fascinated with antenna builds, and went bezerk making new and different designs. Every single one of them was a success at varying degrees. I learned a lot as I went and slowly improved.

In situations where I was sure something would (and should have) worked, gave mediocre results, and other times something that “should have been” too close to my metal roof or to the ground gave me surprisingly great results.

Right now, due to lack of room and budget constraints, I am talking on an inverted V dipole on 40 meter that I built in an hour from scrap parts, the feedpoint is only 30 feet up, and the ends almost touching the earth.. (even the Dacron I used was pulled from an old project that’s how broke I am). Last night I made contacts in England, Maine, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas, plus a few other places. From Southern Illinois.

I finally concluded that when the DX is good and propagation is timed right, you can tie a teaspoon on a piece of coax and cast it across your neighbors peach tree and talk the world on 100 watts.

Great post.

I am currently using a 20 meter wire dipole up only 18' with the ends tied off at the top of my 6' privacy fence and getting similar results. Thank you, Mother Nature! (y)

Kevin: Have you checked the VSWR on 15m? Many times a 40m dipole (if cut for the bottom of band) will also work on 15m. Even with a 2:1+/- with the internal tuner on the radio, they work well.
The added plus a 40m dipole loaded on 15m will have a "slight" amount of gain.
So if 10/11 is open, give 15m a try, it's a great band. Plus 15m does not get the user pressure that 20m does, and it's a great DX band with a large amount of band space.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Gary, I just tried it but it was a no go. I do have an external tuner on the way though that is supposed to be more forgiving than this one built into my icom 7300.

But I do have a different question that you may be able to answer.

Next weekend I plan on making another long wire Multiband antenna with 148 feet of wire . It’s gonna be a dipole split at 74 feet. I am going to use 125 feet of 450 ohm ladder line feeding into my shack.

Do I need to utilize a 1:1 Balun “IF” it’s going to be fed into my MFJ 939-I tuner?

Kevin: I hope you have not already ordered the Automatic Tuner if you have ok.
I personally don't recommend the smaller auto tuners, when using Balanced Line. However, if you have, so be it. Then the 1:1 hooked directly to the back of the tuner should work. (?)
I also recommend getting a balun rated at 500 watts or more for use on a Doublet antenna.
These tuners would be a better choice.
MFJ-974HB
TUNER, BALANCED LINE, 10-160M, 300W
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5020&products_id=39203

Others I would have to recommend would be a higher power version MANUAL Tuner which has a 4:1 built-in.

USED MFJ 974HB $149.95
CONTACT N9APA
SHIPPING IS XTRA
SEARCH QTH - N9APA FOR MORE ITEMS
812 422 0231
ACCEPTING ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS & PAYPAL

FOR SALE: AMERITRON ATR-20 TUNER
Looks and works like new(still has factory warranty)ATR-20 1.2kw with power module, manual and original boxing. Asking $280.00 OBO shipped CONUS.
The picture reflects flash on a top front panel edge, but not a mark on this tuner.
Listing #1453203 - Submitted on 08/21/19 by Callsign WE4P,

Heavy Duty MFJ-962C 1.5KW tuner
Classic old school MFJ-962C 1.5KW tuner. Rock-solid inside and works great with accurate meters as well. Mild cosmetic blemishes outside. Would take very minimal detailing and minor touch-up with black enamel to make it look excellent. Message me for more photos with nice internal views. $149.95 PAYPAL ONLY. That includes shipping IF I don't have to ship it too far away. Thanks for looking....Scott KB1BBY (860)- Three Zero Seven - 2460

These ads are running on QTH.com presently.

Many of the small 200-watt tuners are truely rated at PEP and barely handle a 100-watt transceiver in the best situation. IMHO. I have repaired too many of these that simply go fizz when used on a doublet antenna or trying to multi-band a coax feed antenna.
The Doublet Antenna:
I have 2 "Phased" Doublets I am using presently. These antennas are 62.5 ft. long on both sides of the center. These are fed with 300-ohm KW+ twin lead.
My version works well at this length for 80/40/20/17 meters @ about 45 ft to center insulators.
I have fed them with 450 line, and they worked fine. I have found this 300 ohm line from DXE to be less susceptible to moisture than the 450. The 450 line will be fine if you already have it.
I used two of these kits to make my antenna.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-wa-135

ant-w8jk.jpg
However a single works very well, for an ALL band choice.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/hfdoublet.html
Many here to help Kevin!

All the Best
Gary

10-4, I was just looking for an automated solution, that’s why I got the MFJ. They have a 15 percent restocking fee plus I’d have to eat the shipping. Looks like I’m better off just using it till it burns up. (Since it’s an MFJ, that might be in 2 days ha ha). I am just joking lol, I selected the MFJ unit because it got the better reviews, and it integrated with my Icom.

I assume when you say “phased” you have one running north south, and the other running east west?

Does it matter that Balun? There are some cheap ones someone makes on eBay for less than $20 shipped that seem to be rated to 1000 watts. DX Engineering sells some but they are pricy. Amazon has the MFJ for $40 shipped. I have a ferrite core laying around from a recycled power supply and was tempted to (try) and make one, but from what I’m reading, it’s easy to make them wrong and render them ineffective.

Also I found this interesting article on wire lengths that I never knew about. It’s certainly worth the read. http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated