• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 watt or 25 watt slug?

Autek WM-1. Got one of them for my cousin. Really wish he would have told me he was selling it, I would have bought it from him. Awesome meter.

So,what other quality meters are there?

For nsimple monitoring of SWR and/or power? Diamond make good meters. I have an SX-1000 that covers basically DC to daylight. Diawa make decent meters as well. Good quality brands from well known amateur radio manufacturers are generally decent. Brands like Workman, Dosy, or Barjan leave a bit to be desired. If you want someline like a Bird then get a Coaxial Dynamics meter. It takes slugs like a Bird, is just as good, and is a lot cheaper. Coaxial Dynamics slugs are interchangeable with Bird slugs.

I would go with the 25 watt slug because it gives a range of what amount of pwr you want to measure. It doesn't measure too much or too less.

sorry for not reading this thread. I CAN'T. i despise these discussions. why the fascination with 'exacting accuracy'? remember my 'enoughtogetoutwatts'? right now my raggedy jeep xj has my ic706mk2g in it, with either a predator for 10-11-12, or separate hamsticks for 20 & 40. i have an OLD & i do mean OLD maco 2400 wattmeter in it, the OLD 1 that actually read swr, not fwd & rev like the later one. NOPE. it does NOT work on 20 & 40, & even 12m it is WAY off. BUT i know what is 'normal'. if it isn't 'normal', i know i have an swr problem. there really can't be any other issue where a wattmeter or swr meter is needed. anyway, does it matter if i'm doing 7 watts or 9.5 watts or 2.75 watts? NOPE. if i was using an amp, i really wouldn't need that much accuracy either because i'd only be concerned with the amps dead key....i'd adjust the radio to make the amp make the transistors wattage. heck this maco meter says my icom is doing 40-60 on 10 & 11, 20-30 on 12 & less then 10 on 20 & 40. i know that's not right, but if i see a big change, i know i have a problem. years ago when i used a coaxial dynamics, i had a 100 watt slug, 1000 watter & 1 other bigger 1. was more then sufficient & i NEVER blew anything up 'cause i wasn't 'dead on balls accurate'.
while i'm on my 'exacting accuracy' rant.....what the **** is up with the 'you're 50 hz too low, he's 35hz too high, BS i'm dead on i know it 'cause i tuned against WCBS radio.....'.
OH MY FREAKIN GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in traffic on my way to work, e skip rolling, F layer rolling, no skip WHATEVER, the same dozen or so locals on 38lsb argue this EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! i've been listening to them for years!!!! what's better is when they decide to go to 10m & replay the same scenario!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? you should hear them when i key up my 101e-& i was on the band before they came up from 11!!!!! tell me i'm off freq???? off WHAT freq????? i have NO IDEA where it is!!!! i don't care!!!!! that's what the freakin vfo knob is for!!!! it's 10m, i can be WHEREVER i want!!!!!! oh yeah, these guys are mostly using HF rigs on cb-no channel selectors. i just wanna go to each one of their houses & smash the display so they DON'T have a clue what freq they're on. on the other hand, they really wouldn't have anything to talk about then. oh sorry they would.....'i'm running 116.85 watts, he's only doing 111 & the other guys doing 98.25. i'm blowing them right out of your radio, right'.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

sorry ;)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.