• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 watt or 25 watt slug?

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
Currently the only bird elements I have are 100 watt and 250 watt. After learning more about avg power I need a smaller slug to get more accurate reading. Can any one shed a little light on what might be more useful checking transmitters only? 10 or 25?

I have seen on the internet where they are expanding the range of a slug with a potentiometer.
In other words they can take a slug and make it read 2 or 3 times what it is rated for.
If this is something you might be interested in then this information might have a bearing on what size slug you decide to purchase.

Are you saying like the peak reader with 2x and 5x? I've also seen some with bnc on it, for rf sampler maybe?? For standard galaxy single and dual final radio 25 watt?

For best accuracy select a slug that provides a mid-scale reading.

Wrong. No way. Stop.

The Bird meter accuracy is typically +/- 5% of full scale reading.
For a 100 watt element that would be +/- 5 watts ANYWHERE on the scale.
Mid scale reading would be 25 watts +/- 5 watts, for accuracy within 20%!

Always use analog meters as close to full scale as possible for most accurate readings.

The "Midscale Myth" is a holdover from WW2 electrical/electronic troubleshooting manuals. The military didn't want their guys using the wrong range on a voltmeter. Full scale might be a tad too high, but midscale seems to have been their idea of compromise between accuracy and equipment longevity.

It's also a very good idea to use a slug that is rated for higher power that you will be putting through it, right? So if you anticipate 25 watts I would certainly use a slug rated for more than 25 watts, that's just common sense.
Doing your own 'modifications' to a slug is just not a good idea unless you have the equipment and knowledge required to do that modification! I don't know anyone who has that sort of equipment, so it's generally NOT a good idea.
- 'Doc

It's also a very good idea to use a slug that is rated for higher power that you will be putting through it, right? So if you anticipate 25 watts I would certainly use a slug rated for more than 25 watts, that's just common sense.
Doing your own 'modifications' to a slug is just not a good idea unless you have the equipment and knowledge required to do that modification! I don't know anyone who has that sort of equipment, so it's generally NOT a good idea.
- 'Doc

Where do you see anything in this thread about 'modifying slugs'?
Nobody is modifying slugs.
Nowhere in this thread does it say 'modifying slugs' 'till you included it in your post.
The link I provided talks about adding a variable resistor in the metering circuit to increase the range that the meter is able to display with the same slug.
Nobody is modifying slugs.

Currently the only bird elements I have are 100 watt and 250 watt. After learning more about avg power I need a smaller slug to get more accurate reading. Can any one shed a little light on what might be more useful checking transmitters only? 10 or 25?

Without the peak reading kit, 10 for single final radios, 25 for dual final radios, and 50-250 for HP radios.
Buy coaxial dynamics elements for your Bird 43....Bird is real proud of theirs and the CD elements work the same at quite a bit less $$$$$$$$$.

Yup, when I got the meter I planned on using it for amps. Didn't realize how much I'd use it for transmitters. Wish the elements were not so limited

"Where do you see anything in this thread about 'modifying slugs'?
Nobody is modifying slugs."
Take another look at post #3. What would you call that if it's not modifying a 'slug'?
- 'Doc

"Where do you see anything in this thread about 'modifying slugs'?
Nobody is modifying slugs."
Take another look at post #3. What would you call that if it's not modifying a 'slug'?
- 'Doc

Just to interject here. Doc. They are not modding the slug itself. Just running the piss out out of it and using an outboard pot to lower the sampled voltage down so it can be read on a higher scale. Sort of like a multiplier. IMHO still a bad idea. I have seen 100 watt slugs with a x10 switch. Not good running a kilowatt through a 100 watt slug. That is extreme but times two or five is common.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.