• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102” whip shipping

I stopped in to Summit Racing (Talmadge) the other week for Jeep parts, and DX Engineering was closed due to COVID.... Otherwise I was picking up a spare 102, as mine seems to get caught in the garage door once in a while when I don't park it just right.. I've already had to braze a new SS ball bearing on the end to use the hold-down clip for low clearances/trail riding...

Reactions: Slowmover
Didn't they have curbside service?
I stopped in to Summit Racing (Talmadge) the other week for Jeep parts, and DX Engineering was closed due to COVID.... Otherwise I was picking up a spare 102, as mine seems to get caught in the garage door once in a while when I don't park it just right.. I've already had to braze a new SS ball bearing on the end to use the hold-down clip for low clearances/trail riding...

I’ve been tying mine down with 20lb fishing line (breakaway). Lately, I haven’t even bothered raising it for DX. I just leave it tied down and seems to work good.

I’ve been tying mine down with 20lb fishing line (breakaway). Lately, I haven’t even bothered raising it for DX. I just leave it tied down and seems to work good.

Thinking of fabbing some sort of hitch mount for mine. Wanted to ball mount on rear quarters, but rust prevents it.

Reactions: 2NC995
Thinking of fabbing some sort of hitch mount for mine. Wanted to ball mount on rear quarters, but rust prevents it.

Mine is on the roof, Mudfoot. I tie to the bed.

I have done a number of through-the-body installs over the years. Haven’t ever had an issue with rust. My son is driving my 2005 dodge with roof mount. 15 years and no leaks and no rust.

We did have to replace the coax a couple months ago. After all the years baking in the sun the center insulation shrunk back over an inch, allowing the braid to short to center. Dark blue truck, North Carolina sun.

You can buy them at every Truck Stop I have been in for many years here in Florida & South Georgia.About $21 before taxes in most places.

SIX-SHOOTER

Didn't they have curbside service?

Summit has Curbside, but you can go inside now. DXE is actually a little store inside (picture Walmart with their hair salons, banks, etc inside the main store). I had ordered the part, went in to pick it up, and while waiting for them to pick the part, I was going to shop the DXE, but it was lights-out and entrance blocked.

2NC995 - this is the one I use. Instead of the little "clamp", I just screwed it to the fiberglass windshield frame.

Amazon product ASIN B00DILKM9M

OK, not showing the link. It is a plastic piece on a metal clamp from Amazon. Has a keyhole in the plastic to put the tip thru, the ball keeps it from coming out.

Does the Hustler 102" have any adjustment set screws in the base like the Workman model? Is there any model better than the other? Was wondering for my little Ford Escape and a quarter panel ball mount?

I like the idea of adjustment if needed.

And to push the old wives tail. What if I run 12' or 9' or coax and not 18?

And to push the old wives tail. What if I run 12' or 9' or coax and not 18?

My truck had symptoms of common mode current with short coax. I “hid” the symptoms with longer coax until adding ferrite to the feed point (under puck mount).

This was the first time I ever ran into this - I had always cut the coax to the length needed, which was universally less than 18’.

If I could do the install over again I would use a precisely measured 1/4 wave length of coax to make use of a analyzer more practical. But, I’d also plan on a feedpoint choke from the get-go. In truth, all over my head...trying to learn tidbit by tidbit via experience and picking brains here.

Does the Hustler 102" have any adjustment set screws in the base like the Workman model?

Mine does not.

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.