• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10K vs wilson 5000 ??

B

BOOTY MONSTER

using a mag mount on each on top of a SUV with a few hundred watts going into it . using same radio,same amp,same coax and coax route and same mike . which if either is better at recieving and also transmitting ?

How long should the shaft be. Going to mount it on the back of My tracktor.Just above the window.

thanks.

between the 1000 and 5000 go the 5000. it has better coax, and tunes easier.

as for the tractor, and im guessing a big rig, 9 or 12 in double coil, due to the height and bridges.

Your right to a degree BH , I've used both and I saw no differance between the two as far as RX/TX went and both tuned the same for me , if a guy is going to run less then 500 watts pep , I'd be safe to say he would be good to go with the 1000 model , anything over that I'd say go with the 5000. The differents being a bigger coil and a step up on the coax , what are we talking here ? 20 to 30 dollars more for the 5000 ? Not everybody runs power (believe it or not) but as far as performance goes , both will do the trick. :)

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
that is sort of like comparing a vette to a porsche
both are good
but porsche is clearly better

If you mean comparing a 1000 to a 5000 ? other then power handling , they performed the same in my tests. As far as a Porsche and a Corvette go , I honestly couldn't tell you. The 5000 will deal with more power , either one (1000/5000) will recieve and tune the same , placement and type of mount can make a differance in performance ,other then that . It's just a power thing. I think there's an echo in here. :LOL:

the 1000 comes with rg58 coax, and will usualy tune in at 70 ohms on the mfj. also the 1000 half the time needs the 66 in stinger. which is another 20 bucks.

the 5000 comes with 8x coax, uses the 62 in stinger, and then usualy tunes shorter. no need for a different stinger. and will tune in at 50 ohms.

the 1000 needs the 66 in stinger, is 99% of the time shipped with the 62 in stinger. if it dont work, you buy the stinger, now your total cost is over that of the 5000, and still wont tune as well on the mfj, it will still be at 70 ohms.

those of you whos finger is itching to type some lip service, dont wast anyones time if your using a basic swr meter on how they tune. you dont have enough info.

I certainly was never talking about shipping and how "others" ship there products . The Wilson 1000/5000 with the right stingers (not my fault if "others" ship the wrong size) Will transmit and receive and tune the same. And I can personally care less about your MFJ . I've said what I've said and I meant every word of it.Hows that for lip service ? :)

one thing you said right was IF they ship the right one, but the 5000 will still tune better which is needed if running power. even if its only 200 watts.

tx and rx should be the same and never said otherwise.

thetnhillbilly said:
I believe the original post was asking about [predator] 10k vs wilson 5000. But somehow it became comparing wilson 1000 vs 5000.

Damn it Hillbilly !! By golly I think your right !! :LOL: I hate that when that happens.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.