• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10K vs wilson 5000 ??

Where is the facts that a 10k will out perform a Wilson.. Does anyone have this on paper from a test lab.. Or are we just getting the guy down the street with a Cobra 29 to see how many more pounds he's got on ya?? I mean come on he is looking at a 1 inch meter... Wilson has spent lots of mola to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insurre it works.. So that makes me think that it is pretty slim chance that a guy in his back yard with a welder is gonna build an antenna that will out perform a Wilson... I may be wrong but thats how I see it...

321 watergate city said:
Wilson has spent lots of mola to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insurre it works..

That looks like a freudian slip. They probably do buy engineers who will agree with the claims they make. I like both my wilson and 10K, but have no real numbers on either. I'm just making the point that wilson's engineers and testers are not impartial. Just because a guy builds his own antennas doesn't mean that his won't match or exceed a factory produced one. Factories can be inhibited by cost vs. profit vs. quality and quality doesn't always win.

Since the original question said "magnet mount", I would go with the Wilson.....

I would not go with the 10k, unless you were going to reinforce your roof, and hard mount the antenna.....

thetnhillbilly said:
321 watergate city said:
Wilson has spent lots of mola to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insurre it works..

That looks like a freudian slip. They probably do buy engineers who will agree with the claims they make. I like both my wilson and 10K, but have no real numbers on either. I'm just making the point that wilson's engineers and testers are not impartial. Just because a guy builds his own antennas doesn't mean that his won't match or exceed a factory produced one. Factories can be inhibited by cost vs. profit vs. quality and quality doesn't always win.

Must be like experts for the defence :)

321 watergate city said:
Where is the facts that a 10k will out perform a Wilson.. Does anyone have this on paper from a test lab.. Or are we just getting the guy down the street with a Cobra 29 to see how many more pounds he's got on ya?? I mean come on he is looking at a 1 inch meter... Wilson has spent lots of mola to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insurre it works.. So that makes me think that it is pretty slim chance that a guy in his back yard with a welder is gonna build an antenna that will out perform a Wilson... I may be wrong but thats how I see it...

Its apparent that you have not see the 10k antenna its a wonderfully build antenna. that you can play with an modify to you needs. There is no welds on this antenna.

I can say without a doubt that the 10k out performs the wilson. for one thing the 10k is widerbanded than the wilson 5000.

I haven't see a widerbanded antenna than the 10k, and i have bought quite a few widebanded antennas.

IMHO. Since i can put the coils of the 10k higher than the wilsons 5000 load. which is a center to bottom load antenna. the 10k with its 27" shaft i can get the load up higher than the wilson. with the 27" shaft the 10k antenna is 72"long which works ok with my mirror mount. you can also make it a bottom load antenna for that type of application.

The only antenna in my opinion that is comperable to the 10k and on tx and rx is the wilson 1000 silverload antenna since it's a top loaded antenna. [for my application]

For my applictation the 10k is the best antenna I have found.

I'm running a 4600 turbo into a 4pill Fatboy amp, and im not sure the wilson silver load can handle that much power for long periods of time. Plus the wilsons are not quite as widebanded as the 10K.

I can go down 2 bandwiths with the 10k and only 1 1/2 bandwiths with the wilsons.

every application is different the bottom load antennas perform well if you got a good ground plane, like a metal roof of a car, suburban, truck. etc...

but for me the 10k is the best for my application. IMHO.

321 watergate city said:
Where is the facts that a 10k will out perform a Wilson... Wilson has spent lots of mula to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insure it works... I may be wrong but thats how I see it...
What makes the Wilson 5000 better than the Wilson 1000? Simple, the wider diameter coil. The P-10K has even a larger diameter coil and shaft section.

Does a center-loaded or bottom-loaded antenna work better? The center-loaded!

Taking what we already know, it's fair to reason that the P-10K with its larger diameter coil and being center-loaded will perform better.

Remember, the "mula" spent by Wilson was to compare two BOTTOM-LOADED antennas.

Now, back to the original question at hand, as far as a mag-mount antenna goes, go with the 1000 or the 5000.

I used a Wilson 1000 on my truck for a few years. Went to a Preditor with 9 inch shaft and it was a fuzz better than the 1000 and I liked the short shaft because the stinger takes hitting things better. Now I went with the 22 inch shaft as Kale said it would do a better job and it clearly does. I can tell I get better RX/TX. But it does stick way up there and by receiving better you get more man made noise. 321 I agree with the two above me. Look at one and you can feel the quality. I have 1.1 to 1.2 SWR across the regular 40 channels and I have no doubt if I thought it would help it work better and wanted to mess with it more I could get 1.1 across 40. Just like higher end speakers Bose are very good and I have had afew . But there are better in the same price range and just because you have the best marketing and deep pockets dont mean you build the best As much as I love the 10K it is more of a hassle to remove when going in and out of the garage. I still use the 1000 some and it is a very good antenna that I will never sell. Bottom line 10K is better but wilson is a very nice antenna that may be easier to use if you have to remove very often. Someone above said somthing about using a 27 inch shaft but with the 22 inch its still doing some major treebanging if not carefull and I cant imagine me using anything with a longer shaft than I am right now. Psycho I have to agree the NEW Vette is the best car Chevy ever built. A 65 year old lady I work with has a 2007 and it is the best looking car I ever saw. The critics are crazy about it. She has raced cars and had vettes for 40 years. Said it the finest she ever drove. 505 HP!! WOW!! She going to take me for a ride in it soon. Peace!

Master Chief said:
321 watergate city said:
Where is the facts that a 10k will out perform a Wilson... Wilson has spent lots of mula to have that antenna tested in a lab buy engineers to insure it works... I may be wrong but thats how I see it...
What makes the Wilson 5000 better than the Wilson 1000? Simple, the wider diameter coil. The P-10K has even a larger diameter coil and shaft section.

Does a center-loaded or bottom-loaded antenna work better? The center-loaded!

Taking what we already know, it's fair to reason that the P-10K with its larger diameter coil and being center-loaded will perform better.

Remember, the "mula" spent by Wilson was to compare two BOTTOM-LOADED antennas.

Now, back to the original question at hand, as far as a mag-mount antenna goes, go with the 1000 or the 5000.

I've been told and read that a top loaded antenna is the best for a mirror mount; like one use on a semi truck. Simply because it sit up higher and can ground plane of the trailer. Bottom load antennas actually work great if you got a good ground plane like the roof of a car or truck to work with.
Center load antennas IMHO. are the worst antenna to have; also depending on the application. if you can get your load up above a roof of a truck then they work just fine. if not the bottom load on a roof is better. If its a mirror mount go with a top load or as close to a top loaded antenna as possible to get that load to ground plane of of something like a trailer.

Thats why i like the 1000 better than the 5000; although the 5000 can take more watts than the 1000, and i believe its more widebanded than the 1000 wilson also.

Don't quote me on this but i believe that the diameter of the shaft and not the diameter of the coils actually make the antenna widerbanded.

If you look at the coil on the 10k it's not really that wide, but its the widest shaft antenna i know. I've seen much wider coils than the 10k, and they have not been as widebanded as the 10k ; but I do like the 10k the best because it's so versatile. You can build just about any antenna you want out of them. IMHO :D

You can most likly find a diagram on line that shows how toploaded, centerloaded and base loaded antennas radiate.
The base loaded is the worst of the 3 and the top loaded is the best. So, right there the 10k had an advantage with TX. The other thing the 10k has going for it is the sheer size of the shaft and coil material.... its much bigger than the wilson. This makes the 10k MUCH more broad banded than the wilson... this will give the antenna an flatter match over over more channels that the wilson. Thats a big advantage for TX
I also believe that the antenna will RX better across the band with the flatter swr..... but also the more material or rx surface size on the 10k also helps rx.

I haven'nt tried a 10k... but I have tried alot of the cheaper big coil antennas that are the same design...and even with the cheaper big coil antennas I noticed a difference in tx and rx compared to a wilson 1000. I have no doubt the 10k will work better ...
Most people are not willing to switch to the ugliness of a big coil antenna for that gain in performance. Its the same reason why guys don't like 102's... to big and ugly. The wilsons still has a good sized whip, but its not as big and ugly. I think thats why most guys like the wilson 1000/5000... good performance for an antenna that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

How much of a difference ther is, I can't say... but even the cheaper big coil antennas have a little better performance than a wilson 1000. I'm sure a 10k is as good as the similar antennas I've tried if not better... they are a similar design.

Long distant rx came in better with the big coil antenna. Its was surprising.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.