• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m question..

Charlie337

Nov 13, 2014
So as a tech i know my band limitations and also mode restrictions. .but I was wondering on one thing in particular. .I know you could tune in cw which is an allowed mode for a tech within that 200khz spectrum..but some suggest tuning in AM mode in the middle of my allowed portion at around 400khz..Forgive me if it is a dumb question..technically would'nt I be breaking my limitations as a tech keying in am mode? Thanks in advance.

Your question will only apply to the HF bands: 80, 40, 15, and 10 Meters. Probably using AM will be in violation since your only allowed CW on those bands, and 200 Watts max on SSB from 28.300 to 28.500 MHz. I would suggest that you follow your instincts and use CW for tuning on those bands and you'll be OK.

Mike

So as a tech i know my band limitations and also mode restrictions. .but I was wondering on one thing in particular. .I know you could tune in cw which is an allowed mode for a tech within that 200khz spectrum..but some suggest tuning in AM mode in the middle of my allowed portion at around 400khz..Forgive me if it is a dumb question..technically would'nt I be breaking my limitations as a tech keying in am mode? Thanks in advance.
Certain bands are for code or digital modes only. Be sure you know what your privileges are before you get in those areas.

Reactions: Charlie337

You can listen in whatever mode you want too but only transmit in your authorized modes. What was the supposed reason for tuning in AM mode anyway? There are only certain portions of each band where AM is popular and on 10m it is no where near 28.400.

I had just been reading on methods of tuning it didnt specify for 10 meters it was just a generalization and the question came to mind being limited in my modes of operation on HF...Let me add to that also..I do plan on upgrading to General it was more curiosity really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
Well I generally tune in whatever mode I am looking for which is SSB pretty much all the time. If i am on the top end of 10m I tune in FM mode because that is what is used there. I tune in CW if I am on the lowest parts of all the bands because that is pretty much what is used there. If I am tuning the AM broadcast or longwave bands looking for overseas stations nestled in between the North American channel assignments (they have a different frequency spacing of 9KHz instead of our 10KHz) I use SSB mode and listen for heterodynes indicating a carrier and then fine tune and filter from there. Unless I was specifically looking for AM stations on 80m or 40m perhaps AM would be my last choice of modes for just tuning a band.

Do you mean tune as in adjusting the tune and load on a tube type amp? If that's the case I'd use whatever mode you want. It'll only take a second or 2.

I received my antenna book and my general manual yesterday have been hitting the books and plan to test soon. My schedule with work has been crazy and I will miss the next few sessions but Im getting there.

I meant more down the lines on checking resonance of an antenna without an analyzer...example I have a vertical i want to tune for the middle of my allowed portion of 10 meters.

I meant more down the lines on checking resonance of an antenna without an analyzer...example I have a vertical i want to tune for the middle of my allowed portion of 10 meters.

Man what a difference it is when you actually present ALL the pertinent info. When you tune around a band you are changing frequency. When you are tuning an antenna or checking SWR then that is a completely different story. Forget everything I said above regarding your question. If you want to check SWR for TUNING THE ANTENNA then of course you need a carrier. Any mode that generates a carrier is fine. CW, AM with no modulation, or FM will all work. I usually just use FM as it does not change level with modulation and is steady. I could use CW but my key is plugged into my back up radio most of the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.