• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter Extended Double Zepp

Well do post some pictures and info, I have interest in this as well for a project, I have a very huge oak tree close to 90 feet tall in my yard, so I can hang it quite easily, some large spruce as well.
Well do post some pictures and info, I have interest in this as well for a project, I have a very huge oak tree close to 90 feet tall in my yard, so I can hang it quite easily, some large spruce as well.
Ex49north7,
Here's the picture you requested but due to living in a area infested with high winds I decided to embark on another wire antenna project which I'm currently trying to complete. Hopefully after I'm finish with computer modeling/testing I will post a picture soon. This has been designed to work much better. My first test drive wasn't bad but it still needs more modeling before its complete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-202206_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503-202206_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Glad to see there are guys actually using these and testing them. I'm just sorry that it took nearly 8 years from my original post. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brett
The extended double zepp is a awesome antenna but due were I live I can't keep it up because of the high winds I have in my area. When it was up it performs great on groundwave/skywave propagation conditions. It was and still is a beastly antenna but not for me at this time.
I decided to embark upon something smaller that has about the same gain/performance. Just have to finish up with a little more computer modeling and I will be done. My first test drive was good.
Hopefully by next week I will be able to take it for a drive and open it up to see if it really the way it was designed. Will post a picture afterwards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-202206_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503-202206_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
seem to have it tuned now, 130 ish feet of 300 ohm home made ladder line to a 4:1 coax balun, have a 1.3 swr, will be talking on this thing over the next few days, it has great ears, have it 75 feet to the top in a 100 foot oak tree. Used a 1 pound weight on a rope to hang the bottom leg and have the feed pull away with the rope. took 250 feet of rope to get over this tree. Will let you know how she talks when I get some reports.

Reactions: 2RT307
seem to have it tuned now, 130 ish feet of 300 ohm home made ladder line to a 4:1 coax balun, have a 1.3 swr, will be talking on this thing over the next few days, it has great ears, have it 75 feet to the top in a 100 foot oak tree. Used a 1 pound weight on a rope to hang the bottom leg and have the feed pull away with the rope. took 250 feet of rope to get over this tree. Will let you know how she talks when I get some reports.
I'm happy for you keep me posted. It's a beastly antenna when I had it up but due to the high winds here I decided to take it down and build something more suitable for my area. It basically the same design with awesome performance/reliability/efficiency. Just have to do some more computer modeling before I can take it out for another test drive. Will post a picture afterwards.

Take a picture so I can see it.

My new antenna has been designed for better efficiency/reliability/performance and due to its size. I will be able to mount it more higher than the previous one.
From research/experiments/testing in my case having a bigger dipole isn't better a smaller version will do alot more on transmit/receive when skywave/groundwave propagation conditions are good.
The EDZ is perfect for someone that doesn't live in a high wind area like I do but at the end of the day I'm still winning knowing that my new design will be better then the EDZ from the computer modeling that has been done.
As my mentor once said to me some of the best antenna can be designed smaller and placed higher and still stand out like a search light amongst candle's then bigger ones mounted lower.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's already working good. Is your attachment to the antenna with the 300 ohm balanced line?
yes I did the 1.7 meter drop at 5cm wide, then attached my home made 300 ohm ladder line to ther, at the other end at the house eves, I put on the 4:1 balun, then about 6 feet of coax to the swr , meter, then a short jump to the radio. swr of 1.3, not getting out well locally, but did about 30 mins of skip on it on 34 am to the same person, in Alabama, like it was a direct line on just 4 watts. So not sure why, maybe my feedline is radiating as a horizontal antenna?? May need to put a balun at the antenna, or just leave it as is, and use it for skip. I did not think with open line I would need a balun, as it is balanced. Will have to do some more playing.

My new antenna has been designed for better efficiency/reliability/performance and due to its size. I will be able to mount it more higher than the previous one.
From research/experiments/testing in my case having a bigger dipole isn't better a smaller version will do alot more on transmit/receive when skywave/groundwave propagation conditions are good.
The EDZ is perfect for someone that doesn't live in a high wind area like I do but at the end of the day I'm still winning knowing that my new design will be better then the EDZ from the computer modeling that has been done.
As my mentor once to me some of the best antenna can be designed smaller and placed higher and still stand out like a search light amongst candle's then bigger ones mounted lower.
Yes my diamond is the winner so far out of just about every antenna I have hung. It just works for me here, the edz did great on am skip, but does not do well here 30 miles out at all, think I have some issue, maybe feed line radiating like a horizontal, but on am skip it worked like crazy.

May swap in a dipole, on the same tree, put the zepp away for a bit see which one works better.

Yes my diamond is the winner so far out of just about every antenna I have hung. It just works for me here, the edz did great on am skip, but does not do well here 30 miles out at all, think I have some issue, maybe feed line radiating like a horizontal, but on am skip it worked like crazy.
When I had my EDZ up it worked spectacular on am/ssb on both skywave/groundwave.
The only problem I had was high winds which kept it grounded. It doesn't have a wide beam width like a halfwave dipole but its gets out.
I built it just because I wanted to see if it was any good which it was but only for skywave propagation. For groundwave propagation it has to mounted very high and in the clear but it gets out but not as good as a smaller antenna mounted higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: xm49north7
I have a feeling that my new antenna is going to work like crazy too. In my first test drive it was up only 36' at the base and I had a qso with a truck driver 93.6 miles away with a mountain between us. Hopefully when I finished with the computer modeling it will do alot better then before when I take it out again for another test drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: xm49north7

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated