• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Now let me ask a question, I live in Indiana, got my flatside pointing west towards Illinois. I can understand hearing Georgia on my backside, how in the heck can I come in booming into Georgia? I hope you guys are following me on this, it's darn near my complete backside. Mother nature is weird but I'll take it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
mox-2.gif
Check this pattern out for the same antenna used on 10 meters. Your "back door" is not a brick wall. The Mox does have lobes of the back.
The best propagation term I can use is "Backscatter". Very common on a short boom 2 or 3 element beam. All the power does not focus only forward, some is lost through the backdoor.
All the Best
Gary

View attachment 36546
Check this pattern out for the same antenna used on 10 meters. Your "back door" is not a brick wall. The Mox does have lobes of the back.
The best propagation term I can use is "Backscatter". Very common on a short boom 2 or 3 element beam. All the power does not focus only forward, some is lost through the backdoor.
All the Best
Gary
Some understanding. Thank you.

Reactions: S&W357
Seems like the Dx has been absent for a few days, but it made a bit of a comeback today.

I took my 1/4 wave vertical dipole and my Cherokee AH 100 out on the water today. San Germán and Guánica, Puerto Rico ruled the roost for over two hours on AM 26 this afternoon between 3:00 and almost 5:00 eastern time. These guys made contact with me, a couple of stations in Cuba, a station in Panama and another in Ecuador. 421 in Central Puerto Rico was coming through on LSB 38. Several other Puerto Rico stations were coming in across the standard 40 channels.

It was kind of peculiar in that I could not pick up any other skip - only Puerto Rico.

747 Jamaica Mon....LSB 38 @ 20:02
Happy, Happy!

Wake up, Barbe Rouge
Leaving Lolita, TX now
1320 CDT

38-LSB

(Heard ya. Turned north and you couldn’t hear me again)

19 air miles to the Quik Stop on Austin street

(Edit: fueled at Ganado. 31 to same. Tried last time. Nada).

Have to run towards Houston and then to PA. Wrong antenna direction.

Later.

Last edited:
Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Three years in a row. Yikes :confused:
Yes, Amarillo spring is brutal with winds. A regular day most of the year is 10 to 15 mph winds, yesterday there were reported gusts to 70... That's almost an ef1 tornado. It doesn't help that I live literally on the south end of town with the boonies at the side of my place so we catch the raw unblocked wind. Usually I lower my mast when they predict it but they had said only 25 to 30, not many antennas made for this type of spring I guess. 1 year I lost my maco v58 so they asked me to send the base to him because he wanted to see it, said he's never seen one break where it did. There were pictures on cbt but they're long gone. Never ending battle here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.