• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

They are too close to you. Signals are going straight over you. The most difficult states to work are generally the ones next door. You need a different propagation mode to work them. Sporadic E may allow short skip like that but backscatter is a rare occurrence but can have interesting results. I am in Nova Scotia and could never work Prince Edward Island which is only about 100 miles away. One day while working a station in Venezuela with the beam pointed south, away from P.E.I. I heard a station in Charlottetown P.E.I. I turned the beam north and lost her. Back south and picked her up fine. Ended up talking to her with the beam pointed in the "wrong" direction. Signals were going south to Venezuela and a portion of what arrived there was being scattered back towards us. She really was in P.E.I as I got her QSL card later. Propagation is weird and amazing at times.
Thanks CK for the education on the situation. Not being radio trained I never would have thought of that and I appreciate the gaining of more knowledge. I have a Radio friend up in Mass. that wants to connect with me so I will share this info with him. Who says you can't teach a Old Dog new tricks. I've been barking at the moon a looooooooooog time ! LOL

Reactions: Rwb
They are too close to you. Signals are going straight over you. The most difficult states to work are generally the ones next door. You need a different propagation mode to work them. Sporadic E may allow short skip like that but backscatter is a rare occurrence but can have interesting results. I am in Nova Scotia and could never work Prince Edward Island which is only about 100 miles away. One day while working a station in Venezuela with the beam pointed south, away from P.E.I. I heard a station in Charlottetown P.E.I. I turned the beam north and lost her. Back south and picked her up fine. Ended up talking to her with the beam pointed in the "wrong" direction. Signals were going south to Venezuela and a portion of what arrived there was being scattered back towards us. She really was in P.E.I as I got her QSL card later. Propagation is weird and amazing at times.
I used To have a very hard time talking to Phil, CDX 501 during contests, he was in Nevada and me being in CA.
Only during short skip could we make contacts.
We have about 3 more years before this cycle is expected to peak, lots more ahead to look forward to.

Jeff

Reactions: Rwb and whiteastro
Turned the radio on this morning while I was upstairs getting ready for the day and heard some skip rolling but gotta get some work done before the showers set in this afternoon. Sometime a guy just can't have fun ! LOL

Reactions: Rwb
Skips been running most of the day but was busy cleaning my shop. As soon as I can get a Dipole I'll have one of my Radios, Power Supply & amps out in the shop. Just have to figure which one. Probably a mobile so it can be transported between the house and shop in the winter. Boy I sure can dream ! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated