• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Ever since I got back on the air in July, I have logged most of my contacts. So far my log book has 276 entries, and I have a backlog of contacts to enter. I feel stupid when I contact someone and they say, "Remember, we talked last month." and I don't remember. My son, (the computer genius), said that I should enter all my logbook data into a spreadsheet, and use it to analyze the data....
I've been thinking about making an Excel spreadsheet with this info. Glad you brought it up and I'm glad it's working for you, JJ.
What information do you like keeping? I know you can keep it simple or you can get a lot of info logged in. I think I may be somewhere in the middle.

This might just give me the motivation to get started.
Thanks for posting!

Reactions: Rwb
Bro DXer -

I have 5 columns of data: Call Sign , CITY, STATE, NAME, DATE. I have a 2nd sheet for contacts outside the US. It needs a little refinement, and I want to add some more data points. But good things take time. Works good enough now. If you need help getting a sheet setup, I'll try to help. I didn't use Excel, Used GOOGLE SHEETS. Besides the individual contact data, it keeps a running total of number of contacts (total and by state in numerical order ), most frequent cities, and contacts vs time of day. Only problem, my wife likes the tablet more than her notebook and lots of times (like today) it's "missing,"

- 399 J.J.

Last edited:
Yep, close but no cigar. Thanks for trying though. I heard other stations making contact with you so I backed off, no sense adding to the QRM. Agreed on some horrible sounding stations out there. You always sound good up here. Last two stations I've made contact with tried to give me grief. First one because I can't slide to the zeros "welp, guess we're not gonna make it happen then", second station after a decent QSO on 36L and telling him I'm barefoot "now I know where the mud ducks are" and abruptly ended our contact lol. Like that's going to deter me. Pfft...
yeah those kinda jerks are everywhere. when im asked what im runung i say a homemade big box with 4 wires in it, then the can o worms open asking lots.i tell em its a box made by an ex military radio technician. actually i have a little box that guy built me

Bro DXer -

I have 5 columns of data: Call Sign , CITY, STATE, NAME, DATE. I have a 2nd sheet for contacts outside the US. It needs a little refinement, and I want to add some more data points. But good things take time. Works good enough now. If you need help getting a sheet setup, I'll try to help. I didn't use Excel, Used GOOGLE SHEETS. Besides the individual contact data, it keeps a running total of number of contacts by state in numerical order, most frequent cities, and contacts vs time of day. Only problem, my wife likes the tablet more than her notebook and lots of times (like today) it's "missing,"

- 399 J.J.
Thanks for the info, JJ.
I'm always curious what others keep in their log book. And thanks for the offer to help. I'm pretty handy when it comes to Excel formatting.
I'll do the heavy work of setting it up while on my pc in the office. Once it's ready to go, I'll email it to my tablet.

Reactions: unit_399
The DX is going great, this morning my radio is full of stations from England. I wish I had my beam on a rotor.

@unit_399 it was great talking to you yesterday. When I first heard you call, you were coming into the side of my beam and I am surprised that I heard you. I have my beam pointed west to try and get across the Pacific, but have only made it to the Islands off the coast of Canada so far. The change you made to your equalizer helped you cut through my QRM. It's handy to be able to do that if needed. You have a fine sounding station, that 139 is doing a great job.

73 and 51
Chris

When conditions are as good as they have been lately, you don't really need a beam. I have talked to 68 countries on all continents, and every state in the U.S. just using a wire dipole and an A-99. And never more than 120 watts.
There's a saying that when conditions on 10 and 11 meters are good you can work the world on a wet noodle!
That may be a bit of a stretch, but you can certainly work much of the world with very basic antennas when conditions are good. The trick is to find a frequency with low or no QRM and an electrically quiet location with nothing blocking the horizon. If you live in the bottom of a valley with noisy electrical lines all around and never leave the regular 40 channels no amount of antenna will help.

Was able to make contact With my Friend Steve (26 Alfa Tango 369) who's in Southwest England,had a nice short qso with him, conditions were okay this morning and then seemed to flatten out as the afternoon went on,tried to call out on 38 and 40 LSB to make contact with some WDX forum bro's but no dice today.....hope you all have a great rest of the evening and a Blessed week ahead!!

73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned