• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Another good DX day again here.... Lots of contacts including two from the far South Pacific.... 338AD/OC-027 Marquesas Islands, and then 261AD/0 from the Chatham Islands southeast of New Zealand. This afternoon I had a short QSO with 88XX01 from Cuba. I don't ever remember working Cuba in the past, but it's been heard a few times this skip cycle.
I'm always amazed at what 150 watts and an Antron will do on a nice clear frequency !
All those were on USB between 27.5 and 27.7 MHz. Go get 'em !

Well today wasn't very productive on the Radio, however I was able to make 1 contact earlier this morning:
26 Radio Tango 03 Out of the United Kingdom in the town of Nottingham,had a nice qso with the operator named Darren who was using I believe a icom 718 hooked up to a Siro 27 base antenna.....was going to be on the after 1pm, however after having lunch with my Dad and my kids, I fell asleep and didn't wake up untill later in the afternoon, tried calling to make some contacts with WDX forum members,but no dice today, but was experiencing some qrm alittle bit also today,will try again next weekend.............

73's

Was away from the farm today working at our community radio station's transmitter site. Got home about 6 and got on the air for about a 1/2 hour around 7. Lots of atmospheric QRM on 40. Music on 39. 38 no way. the 1111111 guy was at it on 37. Trash talkers on 36. Tried 27.555 USB and had a nice 20 minute three-way QSO with Jim in OK City and Gil in Vancouver BC.

I'm going to have to put my old Cobra on the bench and re-center tune it for 27.405. It's center-tuned on Channel 20 now, and when I go up over 27.605, power drops off fast. Lots of stations up there. Mostly Spanish-speaking, but I'm cool with that. Gotta get in on that action.

- 399 J.J.

Walked down to the shack at 10PM tonite to turn off the lights and disconnect the antenna. Scanned the band, and heard some stations in the "mud" on 27.385. Swung the quad from North toward the West and the signals got louder. Just a little South of West, I called CQ-Dx, and 791 Gavin in Queensland Australia answered. 1 PM in the afternoon there. We had a good 15 minute QSO, and then 227 Roy, also in Queenland, called QSK. We talked for quite a while until Luz started calling me to come back up to the house. Never talked skip that late in the night before. Cool deal.

- 399 J.J.

Worked all day installing an auto gate operator on our new farm gate. 85 degrees F in the hot blazing South American sun. Using a Genie garage opener because I can't find anything else that will work on the gate that we put up. The pic was taken at night when I finally finished up for the day. Still have a lot to do, but taped the covers in place. Rain forcast for tonite. Should get it done tomorrow.

Went down to the shack at 7:30 PM and had some contacts on 37. Austin TX, San Antonio TX, Salem, Oregon, Pikes Peak, Colorado, Boise, Idaho.
The new mike for my TS-430S came in, so I will be able to work FM this weekend (hopefully).

HEY LONESTAR BANDIT!! Since I got West Texas tonite, maybe if you can get on in the late afternoon (your time), we can hook up. Let me know when you're going to be on. Use 36 or 37. With my work schedule at the farm, I can only be on after 6:30 EST. Would like to have a good long QSO with you.

gate operator.jpg

My new gate opener in progress. Sorry about the late night photo. Operator is in place, and rain tonite, so water covers taped on. I will take better pics tomorrow. But I got things started anyway.

- 399 J.J.

399 J.J.

I heard you for just a couple of minutes earlier today. I don't remember which channel is was on, but there was a lot of traffic and by the time the channel cleared out some you were gone. It could have just been conditions as they seem to have been changing pretty quickly on my end today. Hopefully next time conditions will be better and we will see if this Mississippi station can make the trip to you. I was able to make contacts in Maine, Arizona, Massachusetts and Canada so not a bad day at all.

399 J.J.

I heard you for just a couple of minutes earlier today. I don't remember which channel is was on, but there was a lot of traffic and by the time the channel cleared out some you were gone. It could have just been conditions as they seem to have been changing pretty quickly on my end today. Hopefully next time conditions will be better and we will see if this Mississippi station can make the trip to you. I was able to make contacts in Maine, Arizona, Massachusetts and Canada so not a bad day at all.
tshows -

Thanks for the reply. I was in and out of my shack all day, and usually stopped for a few minutes to check out conditions. Sorry that I didn't get back to you, but weekend pileups are monsterous here, I will be on-the-air tomorrow all day. Channels 36 and 37. I will listen for you. 73.

- 399 J.J.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.