• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

I often wonder if a DSP unit will do me any good. When I'm on a channel without any signals, my noise is so low that the meter does not even come up off the peg. A product of living in the mountains far away from the city and its noise. Running my quad on the flatside helps knock down the noise too. I use a 10 band graphic equalizer hooked between my 858's receive detectors and the volume control input. Use it to eq my receive, and boost weak signals out of "the mud." Homemade DSP, I guess.

J.J. 399

Sounds like you don't need it, especially I'm sure they would have to whack you on shipping. But might help others here in the continental main land. I checked several places and it was out of stock so didn't want it to be like my Galaxy FC-347 that I can't find anywhere. ( New )

Today, in the Republic of Colombia, the band was rockin' and rollin'. One solid QSO after another from all over the Canada and the US. Northeast, East Coast, Deep South, Midwest, Plain States, Northwest, California, and, as always, Florida.
My meter was practically stuck on S-9. It was one of those, "If I can hear him, then they can hear me" days. Doesn't happen often enough.

- J.J. 399
I could hear your qso with another station but my little o'l mobile setup couldn't break through the pileup.

Reactions: whiteastro
On the commute home I had several short contacts and a few really nice clear lengthy qso's with 711 Cleveland Ohio, 721 San Diego California, and the best was with 695 Colima, Jalisco Mexico. All those qso's were like talking local, pretty cool! :cool:

It was definitely one heck of a pileup... rough and tough but managed to punch through.

On the commute home I had several short contacts and a few really nice clear lengthy qso's with 711 Cleveland Ohio, 721 San Diego California, and the best was with 695 Colima, Jalisco Mexico. All those qso's were like talking local, pretty cool! :cool:

It was definitely one heck of a pileup... rough and tough but managed to punch through.
711 in Cleveland always sounds top shelf.
Glad you got in some good radio time! Hopefully the bottom won't fall out before I get some time to turn my radio on.

Well I receive my 2 West Mountain Radio CLRdsp Clear Speech Noise Reducing Digital Signal Processors today and had to control myself to get some work done. Well a little while ago I hooked one up to my most noisy base station for a test run on my large external speaker. I can see a good future for these processors as I was happy with the sound. Tomorrow I will try the other on on my most noisy mobile unit to test them both. I see Giga Parts is sold out of them now so glad I grabbed them while I could. West Mountain Radio isn't going to have the speaker model for a few months ahead.

Yes, all with the 5555n2 ! Paired with the Palomar 200.
Fantastic radio ! I still can't believe how good the receive audio is on it !
Heck yeah, that's great. And rock solid stable isn't it!
You really can't go wrong with those, there's really not much reason to own anything else in one's arsenal if a guy didn't want to.

There should be a couple more weeks of Europe then they will be gone until fall.
Out here on the West coast the Europeans sometimes come in over the pole at odd times of day (including our evening time), sometimes even in the bottom of the sunspot cycle ! Especially true of Scottish and Scandanavian stations.
So we are not limited to only mornings......

Strong Aurora conditions can do this too. The dead giveaway that it is a polar path is the fast fluttery fading that such signals exhibit. Once you learn to recognize it, it really stands out when scanning the band.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.