• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 year old A-99

Marty

Feb 13, 2007
Twilight Zone
Hi everyone

After being out of the CB hobby for 5 years i decided to join in on the fun once again. A friend of mine has my old Solarcon A-99 antenna i was wondering if it's still any good?

5 years on a pole outside and 6 years in the garage.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

It's probably okay. Clean up the SO239 connection, attach it to a pole, throw a radio and SWR meter to it and check. If it's not been through hell and back it'll probably fine. Just a guess though.
;)

'231's right. If it checks out okay, I think I'd hit it with a little sandpaper and sealer, if the finish isn't exactly good. Then, put it up and 'play' it till you get tired of it.
- 'Doc

Thanks, He never use the antenna and the most i ever put in it was about 200 watts. I will use my backup radio ( Cobra 18 WX ST 11 ) I don't want to take a chance with my new Uniden 78 XL.

I had a A-99 up on a 40 foot tower for about 2 years. Put it in the garage for 8 years. Now I'm using it again. I am looking to upgrade it but for now it works good with a good SWR across the band. As long as the SWR is good, I would use it to atleast get on the air. Then later down the road you can always get a new one.

Andy

If it has the fiberglass body, don't forget to wear gloves. While sanding, wear a mask. Those fibers will get into your skin, hair and lungs and.......oh boy; not good! :( The antenna itself is prob'ly good. Paint and use a good sealer on it.

CWM

Unit 194 said:
Check it out and let us know what happens.

I will pick it up this weekend or the next. I will let you all know how it turns out. He only wants 20 dollars for it but i sold it to him for 40 dollars six years ago.

Marty said:
Unit 194 said:
Check it out and let us know what happens.

I will pick it up this weekend or the next. I will let you all know how it turns out. He only wants 20 dollars for it but i sold it to him for 40 dollars six years ago.

$20.00 dollars ? That sounds like a bargain to me......

The A99 I have up now was purchased circa 1989/1990. Was stored in the garage for about 6 of those years. I did give it a little touchup with sealer before putting it back up this time. I know they take a beating on a lot of Forums as "bleed sticks" but never had a problem with before when I lived in the city and had neighbors close by and running around 300W through it. My nearest neighbor is now 1/2 mile away, but I don't bother any of our electronics here. Just my $.02.

I picked up the antenna this morning and it look like it did when i sold it. I put it on my old 20' TV antenna pole and already made several of contacts with some locales. So I'm 100% back on the airwaves :D Thanks for the help 8)

Good news...

I'm sure my Maco V58 is over 20 years old, changed a few hands in the process, and it still works as good as new.

is likly ok

not best antenna around but is very wide banded
is a good antenna to use getting back into the hobby
i re entered the hobby with a A99

ofcourse within tops 2 yrs after re entering hobby
i went nuts buying all sorts of antennas and radios...lol

welcome back to the hobby

enjoy

C W Morse said:
If it has the fiberglass body, don't forget to wear gloves. While sanding, wear a mask. Those fibers will get into your skin, hair and lungs and.......oh boy; not good! :( The antenna itself is prob'ly good. Paint and use a good sealer on it.

CWM

For 20 bucks I would not do anything to it, just put it up and check it out !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.