• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

110v AC Power Filtration

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
I seem to be picking up a lot of noise from by 110v power line. My Jeep is about 30' from my base radio and it doesn't have it. Its a high pitched noise and is very strong. Because of it I cannot use the following channels: 23, 28,31,34,37 and 40. Other than the first number they are 3 channels apart!! Strange. I haven't had much luck in finding, on the net, a filter that would clean up the electric. Any ideas? I was also thinking of calling in the electric company.

Terry

I'd guess you have a switching-mode power supply for something in your house, far enough from the Jeep so that it's not affected. I doubt if it's the power line itself; rather, I'd look at things connected to the AC line inside your house. Power the radio with a battery, so that it's completely isolated from the AC line, and start shutting off circuit breakers. When the noise disappears or drops significantly, you've found the circuit that's powering the noisemaker. Now you can isolate the offending appliance and fix it.

Now I feel a little dumb! I disconnected the antenna and the noise went away. I turned the volume all the way up and still no noise. Why the mobile doesn't get it I have no idea. The 2 radios are basically the the same. The base is a Galaxy DX-2547 and the mobile is a Galaxy DX-959.

What if I was to get a hand held CB and try to pin point the noise? BTW, your suggestion is filed away for later use! Thanks!

Terry

I'm picking it up over the air. I'll try moving the wireless system somewhere.

Terry

I've found that ethernet cables attached to these routers radiate pretty significantly, and it can be very noticeable if you have long runs of wire in your house. You can buy shielded cables and ground the shields at both ends of the equipment that helps significantly. I've also had to replace a few routers over the years that seemed to work well, but all of the sudden became RFI generators. Good luck...

I've found that Ethernet cables attached to these routers radiate pretty significantly, and it can be very noticeable if you have long runs of wire in your house. You can buy shielded cables and ground the shields at both ends of the equipment that helps significantly. I've also had to replace a few routers over the years that seemed to work well, but all of the sudden became RFI generators. Good luck...

Moving it dropped the signal from a 7 down to a 2. I'll have to check into some shielded cable like you suggested. Thanks!

Terry

I run an old, restored Hammarlund HQ-129X for my primary HF reciever. It is sensitive. (It has been modded greatly. Even has an outboard product detector for SSB). It is REALLY sensitive to line noise/interference. My sister - (bless her heart) - is a Microbiologist at a local hospital and when they changed out computer systems brought me a trunk full of ups's and power conditioners. The largest one of the conditioners was about 30 lbs and had a 20 amp breaker and eight outlets. Best thing I've ever done for my radios as far as receive goes. My laptop gave it HELL until I plugged the receiver into the conditioner and the comp. into the normal outlet. My RCI-2980 drops about 1 s-unit noise floor on it. It works so well I googled the company and checked the price - It was about $1000.00.:eek: But - good, clean power with no interference. Keep your eyes open - people throw these things away. (I run a UPS on a lamp in my den in case the power goes out). This won't solve all problems with interference but it does help. A lot of noise comes in over the A/C lines - at least in my area. '73 all - Rumrunner out....

I wished I still worked for a company that I was with many years ago. I was a ceramics technician for Spectrum Control in PA. They made EMI filters for the auto industry and NASA. If anyone needed filters to stop EMI, they had it. Very costly!

That was a good idea you had there. I'll keep my eyes open!

Terry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio