• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 meter

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I made an experimental antenna for 12 meter, I know the band is not always open but I am on 24.950 USB calling if anyone wants to try it out.

If you have a Yagi, point it toward Chicago

Which way do the guys with quads point the antenna? :D

I was just there but either the band is not so good, you have left, or I can't get my 80m doublet pointed in the right direction. :whistle:

I made an experimental antenna for 12 meter, I know the band is not always open but I am on 24.950 USB calling if anyone wants to try it out.

If you have a Yagi, point it toward Chicago

What kind of antenna didja make?

I'd like to make a quad helix for satellite work...they seem like great dedicated purpose antennas.

I made a loop using aluminum tubing, in the ugly stages right now.

I did make a contact with CO8LY a few minutes ago

This band will be longer distances and we are too close but I did drop by at around 4:20 pm eastern. I also worked CO8LY Eduardo in Cuba on 24.961 He was booming in.

Last edited:
Hello, Name here is Joe, N3IBX. I like to try 12M on a daily basis and look at 24.950 as kind of a informal calling frequency on the band. I'm located near Phila,Pa and hope to work you in the near future.

Even when I don't hear any activity on the band I sometimes call CQ on 24.950 just to see if anyone else is monitoring that frequency. Somnetimes I get lucky and have a contact or two.

I also use the band as a stepping stone to see if there is any activity on 10M. If I hear activity on 12, there's almost surely activity on 10M, and visa-versa. If I hear 10 is open, then I know 12M is.

Hope to work you in the near future and very best regards.

Joe Cro N3IBX

N3IBX welcome to the WWRF and I will have to listen for you on the air (y)

Hello Tony,
Thank you for the welcome. I just discovered the site and thought it was very interesting.

I very recently acquired a Kenwood TS-660 "Quad-Bander" (15-12-10-6) 10W allmode rig and have been having some fun with it when the higher bands were open. Not that I only operate low power, but I really like 12M and think it's a underutilized band. I try to listen everyday on 24.950 for activity. That frequency for some reason seems to be the informal 12M calling frequency s a few people I've worked there have told me.

I'm located in S.E. pa, not far from Philly and hope to work you sometime in the near future. If you hear me call CQ, please make yourself known.

Very best regards and a happy holiday.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Being a Technician I can't work 12M or any other for that matter but I can listen in on conversations though and last night, 21 April 2011, 12 Meters was wide open here in Ocala, FL. The QRM and QRN was just about nill. It was so hard to just listen and not be able to contact anyone. Taking my General exam the 30th of this month in Gainesville, FL. during it's hamfest day. Time is going by so slowly. lol

Harold

Being a Technician I can't work 12M or any other for that matter ... Harold

Don't quite understand this, Harold. You CAN work 10M, with voice, data and CW. You CAN also work CW on small parts of 80, 40 and 15M, PLUS VHF and higher. All of this as a Technician.

Please define "any other".

I will def listen to 24.950 and call there. I have just started using the hf band now that I have my radio back and got my general. Been having some fun on 12M here of late and hope to make a contact with you N3IBX.

I will def listen to 24.950 and call there. I have just started using the hf band now that I have my radio back and got my general. Been having some fun on 12M here of late and hope to make a contact with you N3IBX.

Just got home from work, radio on 24.950 USB

Your right Beetle. 28.0 to 28.5 and I never even noticed it on the chart. Nothing on there right now but I'll keep checking. I'm going to hang out on 28.350 this evening though.

Thank you,
Harold

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.