• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 tube elkin

Aydenrooster

Apr 9, 2020
Ran a dx 2517 with an elkin 12 tube for years, 2 watt dead key 40 watt swing would get me almost 1300 watts, I want to get a new base and I'm looking at the rci 69 base but it says 100 watt swing, I don't know if I should swing 100 watts into the elkin,? Can it be adjusted? Is there a better base choice?

Reactions: snippits75

As I recall that Elkin uses 12 1625 tubes that are grid driven and all in one push-pull stage. Very unique design but not easy to modify to drive with a 100 watt rig. If you really want to use this amp with that radio, the best way to handle that would be to have a technician install something in the order of a 6db attenuator on the input side. That would also need to be mounted on a heatsink to dissipate the unused drive power.

If it were me, I'd sell this amp and buy a ham amplifier designed to take 100 input or simply use that one with another radio. But, what you ask can be done, just don't try driving that amplifier with the RCI base and no modification to the amp. It will not handle that well at all even if you turn the radio down.

Reactions: snippits75
Call Ray at Elkin Electronics. He built it.

Friend of mine runs an Elkin 8 tube every day that has 12DQ6B tubes. His radio is a Galaxy Saturn base station that does about 20 to 25 watts AM. Pretty sure he said Elkin amps don't need much drive.

Don't know where you live. Here in NC that 12 tube Elkin will be gone fast if you sell it for a reasonable price.

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.