• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V-100AMP Supply for $20.00!!

That was gonna be my next idea rf chokes. I remember someone telling me that those big capacitors would possibly filter some of that out. I didnt understand that theory but figured oneday Ide try it since I have one of those big digital readout caps here.

I am wondering with those capacitors what the best thing for hookup would even be because I would think that the cap would be charged at shutdown and wouldnt that power backfeed into the power supply or whatever else is in line? How would a person set this up safley to bl;eed it off?

Tony, the only thing I've known those caps were good for was in high power stereo systems in cars. They helped keep the subwoofer hit consistent when used on the sub amplifier. Before those caps came along you could see your headlights dimming each time a bass drum hit. Seeing as how the duration of a kick drum is around a second those caps worked perfectly in keeping a constant voltage to the sub amp.

3's

Large value electrolytic capacitors do not bypass RFI or hash noise all that well. Smaller value (less than 1 uF) work muck better than that as the charge/discharge times of large electrolytics is much too slow to respond to noise spikes of tens of MHz in frequency.Toroids work better in a lot of cases.

Found a thread about these supplies on an RC model forum. Seems that these guys use the supplies to recharge their model's batteries. Lots of good info. Well written thread.

A simple high quality 12Volt 100Amp Power Supply- Part1 - RC Groups

Here's a picture from the thread showing how to "hot-wire" the unit. Connect the red and black leads together, and connect them to the yellow lead (which is ground) through a switch.

Connections png.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much,
I have 2 on the way $8 each plus $24 in shipping. I will let you know about "noise" , but do not expect any, I use switching power supplies all the time to run radios and amps.

To be certain that an external cap discharges after shutdown, just put a bleeder resistor across it.

Ok what size or value resistor would I or should I use Im guessing I could just solder wire leads to the Resistor leads then to the + and- terminals on the CapI have is a nice digital readout with alarm. Its a

DIGITAL SERIES

APower Acoustik

LOW ESR 24 DVC

1.2 FARAD CAPACITOR

1200 WATTS

Ok what size or value resistor would I or should I use Im guessing I could just solder wire leads to the Resistor leads then to the + and- terminals on the CapI have is a nice digital readout with alarm. Its a

DIGITAL SERIES

APower Acoustik

LOW ESR 24 DVC

1.2 FARAD CAPACITOR

1200 WATTS

using that cap is overkill Tony...you could get a crate full of the appropriate caps for the cost of that 1.2 farad you have there.

3's

Tony, the only thing I've known those caps were good for was in high power stereo systems in cars. They helped keep the subwoofer hit consistent when used on the sub amplifier. Before those caps came along you could see your headlights dimming each time a bass drum hit. Seeing as how the duration of a kick drum is around a second those caps worked perfectly in keeping a constant voltage to the sub amp.

3's

The reason for the caps helping is..
the sub uses the most power and when
you hear it hit(thump with the crazy base)
is when it is Demanding(and needs) Immediate high Power
That is where a Cap really shines..For it charges and discharges in a heart beat..and thus can send the required high power demand right away..( so your car head lights and or dash lights do not fade)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.