• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V-100AMP Supply for $20.00!!

_399:

How did you hook up the variable voltage?
10K ohm pot?
Just put it between the points in place of the first resistor on the left?

supply-connections.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have my power supply yet, so no idea how it will work. If too noisy I may swap out the fans for something lower speed.

The diagram looks like you can adjust up to 13.2VDC. Can the resistor be reduced further to get a higher voltage output? What is the maximum output for the power supply.

I don't know for sure. I will try it in the next few days, but from reading the service manual, 13.4 volts is the max it will do.

I tried different resistor values to raise the voltage, but when I did, the unit went out of regulation.
I think 13.4 volts is it, unless some power supply guru can come up with another method

project completed

Finished the build on my 100 amp supply last night. Tested it under load (my Kenwood TS430S) and everything works fine. All that is left to do now, is to dress up the wiring to the faceplate and get the 220 vac line cord I ordered from the HP distributor in Medellin. This was a fun project, and the result is that I now have a reliable, high-quality 100+ amp supply for less than $80 USD invested. Admittedly, many of the parts I used were scavenged from stuff I had laying around, but even after factoring this in, the total investment is only $120 or so.
As Robb pointed out, the BIG drawback with the HP supply is the fan noise. There are two 11,000 rpm turbo fans in these units, and when they're running it sounds like you're right under the approach to LA International. Removing them and mounting an external fan won't work because the supply won't power up without them. The only solution I can find is to mount a 10 ohm/2 watt resistor in the power lead to each fan. It's still noisy, but it's acceptable. If I had it to do over, I would use a 120 amp Dell EDGE supply that has output voltage up to 15.4, and external fan speed control.

Anyway, I started out with this:

user7311_pic3685_1363568650.png

And ... here's the final result:

finish1.png

finishIII.png

finish3.png

I will post some pics of the inside as well as a wiring diagram on my user page album later this week. 73s, and thanks to everyone who posted info on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't know how I missed this thread until just now, but this was a really cool project. Thanks to everyone who contributed and to Unit 399 for seeing the project from conception to completion.

Very cool project guys.

I'm looking for one of those Dell Poweredge supplies unit399 hinted at with 15V and external fan control. I saw a Dell Y004D A2360P-00 PowerEdge M1000e 2360W Power Supply rated @ 196.7 amps (200~240VAC) but most of the sellers pics are either stock photos or they never let you see the tag with the specs. I like being able to have 15V at my disposal since I run all my toys at either 14V or 15V already. If someone knows the exact Poweredge supply unit399 was hinting at, I'd appreciate knowing too.

3's

Last edited:
I'm looking for 28-30VDC @ 60A.
Any suggestions?

Yeah. Home brew. :D

Dang that's a hard range to find something for. I assume 24 volts is a tad too low? Some avionics stuff requires 28 volts but I believe they refer to it as a "nominal 24 volt supply". I found some stuff on Ebay but not in the current range you need.

Whatcha got that needs that kind of voltage and current? Is it for the NEC modules?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated