• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12v to 16v

Charlie Brown

certifiable
Dec 18, 2010
Tennessee
www.pedalsteelman.com
Anyone have any experience or hardware recommendations for 12v to 16v on a regular 12 volt system to get the most out of mobile linear amps? I would like to run an additional battery and parallel a charge wire from my under hood battery to a remote battery. It would be nice to have some sort of gismo that would let my amp see 16v some where after leaving my under hood battery, either before my trunk battery or between my trunk battery and amp?

Any ideas?

If you really, really want to go with 16+ volts, I would suggest a motor maul, that way "most" of the stock electrical system can be left alone aside from upgrading the Alt, and some wiring and a battery bank.
Not All Amp`s can tolerate being volted.
And if you are going to do it right it involves work and coins, and I am not sure you will be happy with the gain after you are done.
16/18/20 volt set ups are not for everyone.

Jeff

Anyone have any experience or hardware recommendations for 12v to 16v on a regular 12 volt system to get the most out of mobile linear amps? I would like to run an additional battery and parallel a charge wire from my under hood battery to a remote battery. It would be nice to have some sort of gismo that would let my amp see 16v some where after leaving my under hood battery, either before my trunk battery or between my trunk battery and amp?

Any ideas?

What are you trying to run this in? WHat type vehicle

If you really, really want to go with 16+ volts, I would suggest a motor maul, that way "most" of the stock electrical system can be left alone aside from upgrading the Alt, and some wiring and a battery bank.
Not All Amp`s can tolerate being volted.
And if you are going to do it right it involves work and coins, and I am not sure you will be happy with the gain after you are done.
16/18/20 volt set ups are not for everyone.

Jeff

Jeff, in my opinion if he is going to buy a new alt, and still needs to buy a couple batteries, he may as well just buy a regulator and save the cash he would spend on a motor maul for a amp. All this depends on the vehicle of course. Alot of motor mauls on market seem to have failures and they arent very efficient.

Jeff, in my opinion if he is going to buy a new alt, and still needs to buy a couple batteries, he may as well just buy a regulator and save the cash he would spend on a motor maul for a amp. All this depends on the vehicle of course. Alot of motor mauls on market seem to have failures and they arent very efficient.

All good points........
Really just adding the Alts/Batt`s and getting a bigger AMP is the way to go.
The only reason I see to up the volts with the final amp is if you are "restricted" to a number of pills and want to get the most from them.......not for a daily driver.

Jeff

motor maul, damn thats pretty cool. reminds me of when I hot-rodded my sons powerwheels jeep and wired it to charge the batteries in parallel but run them in series.

Normally a 3 into a 6 pill is far to much drive, a 2-2290 amp would be a perfect fit for 6 -2879's.

Beg to differ. Had a Bo Made 3 pill into a Bo Made 6 pill!! Ran the ever living SHIT out of it for 5 or 6 years. Only thing I ever did to it was have him add a variable cap so I could tune it. 1x2290 into 2x2879 (3 pill) into a strait 6 pill. did about 1500 ona dosy..!! Great great setup..

motor maul, damn thats pretty cool. reminds me of when I hot-rodded my sons powerwheels jeep and wired it to charge the batteries in parallel but run them in series.

Watch out for wheelies and flip overs if the kid starts out on a steep incline. I have the Tee shirt.

Beg to differ. Had a Bo Made 3 pill into a Bo Made 6 pill!! Ran the ever living SHIT out of it for 5 or 6 years. Only thing I ever did to it was have him add a variable cap so I could tune it. 1x2290 into 2x2879 (3 pill) into a strait 6 pill. did about 1500 ona dosy..!! Great great setup..

You can beg to differ all you want, 3 pills into 6 is assinine. You could use 2-2290's and get the same watts and not overdrive the piss out of it . Run it how you want to I sit here and laugh.

You can beg to differ all you want, 3 pills into 6 is assinine. You could use 2-2290's and get the same watts and not overdrive the piss out of it . Run it how you want to I sit here and laugh.

They laughed at Jesus too!!:bdh:

I too beg to differ and I'm not sitting here laughing. I'm not laughing because there is nothing funny at all about driving the living shit out of an amp and having a meter of questionable accuracy (Dosey) showing 1500 watts from 6X2SC2879's. You can make all the claims you want but I know for a fact that you were pushing nowhere near 1500 watts on frequency.I would have loved to see that setup on a spectrum analyzer. It's amazing what a square wave will do to an RF meter.:laugh:

I too beg to differ and I'm not sitting here laughing. I'm not laughing because there is nothing funny at all about driving the living shit out of an amp and having a meter of questionable accuracy (Dosey) showing 1500 watts from 6X2SC2879's. You can make all the claims you want but I know for a fact that you were pushing nowhere near 1500 watts on frequency.I would have loved to see that setup on a spectrum analyzer. It's amazing what a square wave will do to an RF meter.:laugh:

THATS A BOLD STATEMENT COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO CANT EVEN SPELL DOSY...dosey???

Jesus people. No wonder I quit talking and dealing with cb-ers from the ass hole clan... delete me.... I havent learned a thing and neither have you all...!

First of all I am not a CB'er but I did spend 22 years in commercial broadcasting as a radio engineer. Second of all I could care less how to spell Dosy or Dosey or whatever. I do not own one and never have and never will. I prefer more accurate meters. Lastly if all you have is to pick on my spelling error then I guess I must have struck a real nerve. Some people's egos get bruised easy I guess. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.